Your Theater Experience

FWIW- Most reaction in my theatre was to Cavies and Cadets.

Also, when the scores were posted in my theatre, there were lots of audible "WTF?!?" in regards to Crown winning the first show, and lots of cheering/clapping when it was announced they got 4th in the second show.

• Like 1

Cadets: Easily the most I have liked them since 2000. As someone in the crowd said "Finally, the Cadets again!". Uniform thing works, and it makes those usual crazy cadet visual moves look crazier. ballad worked well, and at one point when the two pieces laid over each other, it sounded like les Miz. This show, if they don't insert a message and screw it up, can make life fun come August.

I totally heard it that way too! Thought I was the only one!

• Like 2

Regal Cinema in Harrisburg, PA.

I'd say about 100 people there, give or take. Cadets got the best reaction (lots of maroon t-shirts).

My thoughts on the corps:

BD - Melody! Little indifferent about the show at this point. Not really getting the purpose of the stuff on the field. Adds some cool visual, but.. not sure why it's there.

Cavies - These guys came out like they want a championship. Very aggressive. Very in your face. Very... Cavies.

Bloo - Diggin it. More so than last year. You can tell they want to build upon their success from 2010.

Crown - I heard the show on Voldemort's site and was left flat. Seeing the show in the theaters, I did a 180. This is a fun show. Not sure how it will stack up in the end, but it's typical Crown.

Cadets - Clean this puppy up and they may be looking at #10.

Phantom - Some great musical moments. Guard is a big step up from them. Hard to say how it will shake out. Get the impression they have to get past the technical aspect and start "feeling" the show.

SCV - Left me a tad flat. Appreciate what they're trying to do. Just... I don't know.

Blue Stars - LOUD. Not sure if the theater cranked the volume for them, but dang. Amps need toned down a lot, but I like seeing this more aggressive side of them. Think they pull it off well.

you didnt say hi!

join the back row rowdies in August!

About 50 people at my theater in central Ohio, about 5 times as many as has shown up at that same theater for past events.

No reaction from the crowd, a few claps and not much else.

As many kids in the seats as dinos.

Sound was WAY too low again this year, and I'm tired of asking theater staff to turn it up. DCI should make this known to Fathom when they take the money. That said, had the corps been up to the volume we're all used to, the Rhondo, DeLucia interviews would have blasted us out.

I reserving my daggers for thunderous goo until I see them live, but if the theater sound was any indication, the majority of pits are still wayyyyyyyy too loud. It's especially warm when the camera closes in on the keyboard player's finger planted and holding a low, thunderous note for 16 measures. I thought the guys in the stands were going to direct balance so bad?

And SCV's volume was so low that their pit drowned them out when the mallets were playing at mf. Understated class, sure I get it, but I gotta hear you play some emotion, SCV!

Gotta add here: Cadets are freaking awesome! They're marching now, admittedly with visual dirt, a drill set that I haven't seen develop in past years until late July, when Hoppy's desperate and the kids and in their prime shape. And the uniforms are perfect. Over and over again the sides split and the visual greatly enhances both the movement and the music. George: we disagree on several things, but this show has teeth. Stay with it and clean instead of madly changing parts, and this show could go all the way.

All in MHO, of course.

The microphones were placed right next to the pit and one even in the middle. Add the wind cutting out the brass volume a ton, are you really surprised?

I'm sorry, but I found the "mom's white bathrobe" part hilarious. Like I audibly laughed! And I really don't want to appear rude, because like you, I thought the Cadets were f-a-n-t-a-s-t-i-c. Sure it's June, but when this corps programs some of the hardest material of any corps, they have a chance to make some incredible moments come August! I think the characterization will only continue to develop and improve through July.

I enjoy the "White" Angel and think the roles of both main Angel and Demon is good. But that comment was funny. :tongue:

It is all good. I just picture demons in red- and HORNS (not the kind you play)--give them a trident to spin.

I forgot to mention the angels that looked like they have been playing in the demons fire pit--with just a little soot on them (makes me feel better since I use to have a halo and it was always crooked). Now, seriously, that aside- I can say I love the Cadets this year. I have not been able to say that in a long time. I liked portions of '05 and '07......I was not so sure when I heard the two different colored uniforms, but it really does work and I hope they visually play a little more with that. Love the drill. I even love the choral at the beginning. The ballad is sweet.

Do not even get me started on the Blude Devils guard outfit- some years it kind of works and other years it is Barnum and Bailey meets the homeless lady on the streets. This is not a good costume year for them. I do, however, like their music this year.

I must admit I didn't really love any of the shows I saw tonight. I'm extremely disappointed after the (in my opinion) lackluster 2010 season. I thought 2003 was pretty lackluster too, and then 2004 blew me away. I was hoping for the same thing this year... not so much. Please keep in mind that I'm talking exclusively about show concepts/design.

BD - Possibly the ugliest uniforms I have ever seen. I can't believe the 14 time champs thought those were a good idea... wow. Anyway, it was nice to hear some melody from them. Still too much reliance on props. I think the judging community is a bit sick of the props as well and will score them accordingly throughout the season. Just a hunch.

Cavies - Some cool moments. Loved the upside down tenors. Not sold on the stilts. Drill was solid (as expected), but the music... unmemorable. Overall the show left me wanting more.

Bluecoats - Can't even think of one moment of the show. That's how unmemorable it was.

Crown - Still too much "Crown cheese" but I guess I'm starting to get used to it. First half of the show was very entertaining. Second half... will probably be re-written. ;) At least the closer, pretty please?

Cadets - I liked this show quite a bit. I usually hate the Cadets, so I'm surprised that they performed my favorite show of the evening. The dual-uniforms thing works for me. I'm impressed that Sacktig managed to write an entire drill book around it (he's not the most talented, in my opinion). But he pulled it off masterfully. Hopefully this show will win in August, that will help restore my faith in drum corps a bit.

Regiment - Nice to see them with an all-female guard again. New uniforms are solid and classy. The show is boring, though. After seeing such masterful guard integration/storytelling from them in the past it breaks my heart that every major "plot point" of this show was performed on a drum major podium on the back sideline. What the heck, Phantom? Write that stuff into the show, i.e. on the field.

SCV - FML. This design team has the thickest skulls on the planet. You'd think after last year they'd stay away from the angry dissonance. Nope. I was dumbfounded. What a boring show.

Blue Stars - I have no idea how SCV is beating them. The brassline is amazing (comparatively). The prop was under-utilized, but could be cool in the future. Synth was WAY too loud. All in all a solid show, should beat SCV's butt pretty soundly by August.

Overall I was underwhelmed by tonight's show. I guess I'm turning in to a dinosaur? Meh. Hopefully Cesario's new rules address these show design problems. I feel like show designs are taking a step backward. They were FINALLY starting to be more crowd friendly and entertaining... now it looks like 1990's drum corps.

Hopefully every group implements some big changes before Finals. If not, this might be the last Finals I attend in person. It's just not worth it anymore.

This post is so full of win, I'll buy you cookies if you give me your address.

Cannot agree more, ESPECIALLY SCV and PR.

I was at the Roseville, CA theatre, around 50 people, high school band kids and adults mixed. Good crowd. Things that stood out to this village idiot...

1. I was pleased with DCI's production of the show (minus the 5 minutes muted section). Good cut-aways and camera work. Did a good job promoting the season with the "commercials" between corps.

2. Cadets were my favorite, can't wait to them in Stockton this weekend.

3. BD and Crown had the best music.

4. Audience was pin-drop silent during Clowns.

5. Blue Synths Stars were loud for the wrong reason.

6. Heat be darned, it's DRUM CORPS SEASON!!!

Props to Mr. Acheson, what a great way to start the season.

Edited by Guizeppe
  • Like 1

Here's my review if any of ya'll wanna read it:

Theater Experience: As others have been saying, YES. Volume was way too low and I wish there had been more low end. Other than that, loved it!

Blue Devils: VERY impressed with brass this year. Still pretty bright but that's just BD. Not too into the guard uni's. I will say that I was one of the people saying I didn't like the corps uniform but it wasn't too bad on the field. Overall, I'm excited to see BD playing some cool music again! Wasn't my favorite show of the night but not my least. And this is coming from a non-BD fan :)

Cavaliers: HOLY COW!!!!! Cavies are AWESOME this year! They could easily take a title this year no problem. I was entertained non-stop from the beginning with this show. The upside-down tenor feature is definitely as cool as people are saying. I would love to see Cavies take it this year- this show is AWESOME!

Bluecoats: I was kinda disappointed with this show. The opening was cool and the contra soli was cool but overall it didn't do much for me. Drums were pretty decent though

Carolina Crown: I was VERY skeptical of this show because I usually hate rock shows but I actually kinda dug it. I hated all the cheesy crap in the pre-show but loved the drumming! In fact, the drumming was AWESOME the whole show!! This is the best Crown drumline I've heard in a long time. They are playing some serious beats very clean for June. I'm excited to see these guys.

The Cadets: AWESOME SHOW! The different uniforms is genius. Works great, looks awesome. Drums are great, brass sounds great, I love the design. I'd love to see cadets take it this year too.

Phantom Regiment: This show was nice and touching but seemed a bit conservative for Phantom (IMO). Maybe I need another listen but it seemed way less balls to the wall then phantom usually does. But then again, this worked out pretty well for SCV in 08. Percussion is still sounding pretty good despite the lack of Paul Rennick. (not even close to the same but not a train wreck like some thought). Oh also, some of the camera angles were showing some pretty dirty feet at times

Santa Clara Vanguard: HOOOOOLY PERCUSSION!!! WOW!!!! Paul Rennick is a god. This percussion section is absolutely amazing and blew me away. Awesome writing and awesome playing- I could watch them all day. Unfortunately, the rest of the corps is about ten steps behind.....Brass was really weak and severely out of balance with the rest of the percussion section. The show wasn't as bad as some people made it out to be. It's well designed but the execution has a long way to go. Definitely potential though

Blue Stars: Pretty cool show. LOUD BRASS but Dennis DeLucia's commented that this could be because the scaffolding forced the corps to be in the front part of the field the entire time. Makes the brass louder but might #### off the visual judges haha. Drums were pretty rough but there was some cool writing.

I'm excited for the season. The potential of the shows is so much higher than last year by a LONG shot. I'm glad designers are remembering the audience again