How low can BD go?

Obviously June 20th is not August 10th. But when was the last time BD started a season outside of 1st or 2nd place in an individual show? Is this the first time in its history BD began a season outside of California? And putting all of the top corps together in one show...just whose idea was THAT anyway?? ;-)

I am one of the many who is not a fan of the "G7/8" concept because of the "have's" and "have not's" aspect of the concept. But I also see the positives...if only for those participating if not the rest of the corps. But I can't help but think, if you're BD and you just started the season in 3rd for the first time...ever???...that's gotta be a pretty unique feeling following two undefeated seasons.

But then to follow up 3rd behind Crown and Cavies with another 3rd behind Cavies and Cadets...so now you're effectively fighting for 3rd or 4th depending on how serious Crown is and how well their kids deal with this unexpected, sudden success, is also a new feeling for a corps that has only been outside the top 3...what?--THREE TIMES?? EVER???

Then there's the "uh-oh" feeling looking at the spread and seeing Phantom Regiment closing the gap from 4+ points to just under 3 points after 3-4 shows. And last year's Dark Horse, the Bluecoats, right behind Phantom and closing the gap as well. You can't tell me Bloooo doesn't want to catch the one corps they never beat last year.

And so the race to end the season before "the next" corps to catch you is on. BD is headed back to California in 3rd/4th with a return trip to Texas quickly coming. Phantom and the Cadets are headed west with SCV and BD, so the likely prospect that BD may win very few shows on its home turf is a realistic possibility for the first time in DECADES. And California HAS to be lovin' the early-season slug fest its tour will be this year! They haven't seen anything this exciting since 2007's Championships!

But I can't help but wonder...has that "uh-oh!" thought entered BD's mind yet? I mean, they have a long, established history of coming out better than everyone else week 1 and simply lasting until Championships week hoping they peak right and outlast everyone else's late-season charges. Sometimes its a 2005/2006/2008. Sometimes its a 2007. Sometimes its a 2009/2010.

But the first week of 2011 looks like a BD we have quite literally NEVER SEEN before!! Now obviously, the format of the "G7/8" thing is unique historically as well. Perhaps that is a contributing factor?? And perhaps BD comes out in their next show and just simply singes Cadets to a crisp?? I didn't see any of the Texas shows or the theater thingy, so I can't comment...I'd be interested in analysis from the rest of the community.

But with BD sitting (comfortably?) in third, perhaps in fourth, and a LONG way to go...are we looking at a 5th place Blue Devils corps this season?? Remember, SCV and BD are going to be going at it for the drum title, so there's simply no telling just how good SCV may be, either...too early to tell would be my guess...and a LONG way for them to make up before eyeing beating BD is a realistic possibility, just according to the recaps.

Thoughts?? ;-)

• Like 1

Obviously June 20th is not August 10th. But when was the last time BD started a season outside of 1st or 2nd place in an individual show? Is this the first time in its history BD began a season outside of California? And putting all of the top corps together in one show...just whose idea was THAT anyway?? ;-)

I am one of the many who is not a fan of the "G7/8" concept because of the "have's" and "have not's" aspect of the concept. But I also see the positives...if only for those participating if not the rest of the corps. But I can't help but think, if you're BD and you just started the season in 3rd for the first time...ever???...that's gotta be a pretty unique feeling following two undefeated seasons.

But then to follow up 3rd behind Crown and Cavies with another 3rd behind Cavies and Cadets...so now you're effectively fighting for 3rd or 4th depending on how serious Crown is and how well their kids deal with this unexpected, sudden success, is also a new feeling for a corps that has only been outside the top 3...what?--THREE TIMES?? EVER???

Then there's the "uh-oh" feeling looking at the spread and seeing Phantom Regiment closing the gap from 4+ points to just under 3 points after 3-4 shows. And last year's Dark Horse, the Bluecoats, right behind Phantom and closing the gap as well. You can't tell me Bloooo doesn't want to catch the one corps they never beat last year.

And so the race to end the season before "the next" corps to catch you is on. BD is headed back to California in 3rd/4th with a return trip to Texas quickly coming. Phantom and the Cadets are headed west with SCV and BD, so the likely prospect that BD may win very few shows on its home turf is a realistic possibility for the first time in DECADES. And California HAS to be lovin' the early-season slug fest its tour will be this year! They haven't seen anything this exciting since 2007's Championships!

But I can't help but wonder...has that "uh-oh!" thought entered BD's mind yet? I mean, they have a long, established history of coming out better than everyone else week 1 and simply lasting until Championships week hoping they peak right and outlast everyone else's late-season charges. Sometimes its a 2005/2006/2008. Sometimes its a 2007. Sometimes its a 2009/2010.

But the first week of 2011 looks like a BD we have quite literally NEVER SEEN before!! Now obviously, the format of the "G7/8" thing is unique historically as well. Perhaps that is a contributing factor?? And perhaps BD comes out in their next show and just simply singes Cadets to a crisp?? I didn't see any of the Texas shows or the theater thingy, so I can't comment...I'd be interested in analysis from the rest of the community.

But with BD sitting (comfortably?) in third, perhaps in fourth, and a LONG way to go...are we looking at a 5th place Blue Devils corps this season?? Remember, SCV and BD are going to be going at it for the drum title, so there's simply no telling just how good SCV may be, either...too early to tell would be my guess...and a LONG way for them to make up before eyeing beating BD is a realistic possibility, just according to the recaps.

Thoughts?? ;-)

I do not see them finishing any lower than 3rd- possibly higher......2002---they re-did entire portions of drill--and had they had a little longer to clean it-would have been closer to the Cavaliers score wise ( I am not sure anyone was going to beat Frameworks that year). If anyone has the ability to do great things in a short amount of time, it is BD. While there are few shows I have liked in recent years, they should never be underestimated. Even in 2005, with Yowza-Yowza they finished 4th....Sure things happen, but when was it the last time they were below 4th ? 1991 ?

• Like 1

Well like you said its still June. But I think you make some good points, I hate to admit it but I was really surprised with seeing BD in 3rd (I was expecting them to have something stronger, you know a top 2 finish)and after seeing the shows in the theater I understood why they got 3rd. I knew they would finish in the top 3 but most certainly not 1st place.

What to expect from BD in my opinion? They aren't going down without a fight, thats for sure. They will keep fighting for a top 3 or 2 finish. But the possibility of them falling to 5th is as likely as getting 1st or 2nd still. May I add that The Cavaliers last season was kinda like in this same spot too, and look what happened to them at finals. Never the less, its still a possibility for them to place as low as 5th (I do not expect them to get any lower than that).

Personally I for see two other corps in the top 3. But I could be wrong! Its BD, they have the most wins for a reason.

I do like the music from BD this year and they do sound good. However, they are messing around with too many props on the field and it kinda lost my attention. I hope they can fix some of these things... and fast.

i guess we'll have to wait and see?

Boring reply, Lance--trying to compete with someone for "top poster" honors? :tongue:

• Like 3

Boring reply, Lance--trying to compete with someone for "top poster" honors? :tongue:

sorry i bored you.

yes, corps oftentimes place lower or higher than they have in previous years. yes, it's early.

basically, just a big yes to your post in most regards, and again, we'll see what happens soon enough.

• Like 1

I wouldn't have had them in the top 3 since Winged Victory, so for me this feels just about right. I understand that they are technically proficient...arguably the MOST technically proficient corps of the last three or four years. But for my purposes, all corps can reach a baseline of satisfactory technical proficiency where all I'm looking for beyond that point is how it impacts me. Each of the last three or four years, there have been a handful of corps that have gotten to that level but far surpassed BD in their ability to entertain me.

So like i said, 3rd or 4th seems just about right to me.

• Like 3

Thoughts?? ;-)

The Blue Devils tend to be the model of top notch, top tier excellency and consistency. But like most things... not always.

From 1987- 1993, a period of 7 years, Blue Devils had one year that they were in the top 3. The other years they were in 4th or 5th place.

1987....... 4th

1988......( 3rd )

1989.......4th

1990.......4th

1991.......5th

1992.......4th

1993.......4th

While the Blue Devils historically are the winners of the most DCI Titles, ( an amazing 14 Titles ) and are a great organization, it's not like they have NEVER had a year of 4th, 5th place finishes since the early 70's. I'd be surprised to see BD fall into 4th or 5th place this year. I think they simply have too much talent to do so. But it's not like its never happened before.

Edited by BRASSO

While it is undeniable that Blue Devils should never be counted out until after Finals scores are announced, this is definitely a unique position for them to be in. I was all ready to type the "this isn't that big a deal, Blue Devils have placed 4th half a dozen times in the last 30ish years, etc" but when I checked their early season scores on corpsreps I was almost shocked at how consistently strong they've started their season in their 'modern era' (1994-current). I was thinking of 1998, when they placed 3rd with their Romeo & Juliet show, and I was surprised with how strong they were out of the gate, and how they were in 1st as late as Quarter Finals. Their 2005 season (lowest placing season of the modern era) seems to be an anomaly, and they were consistently being topped by Cavaliers and Cadets (Phantom didn't pass them up until later in the season).

But the thing to really take into account is that DCI has NEVER began their season with all of their Top corps competing against each other. We really have no real basis to determine how great any corps truly is out of the gate, and/or how consistent they are. Blue Devils have typically had a 'soft' opening to their season (against the not-competitive-lately SCV and non-finalist corps), and don't catch up with other Top 3 corps until July. Maybe this is kind of indicative to where Blue Devils typically start, get strong in June, and then come out in July ready to win.

Or maybe their show design is weak compared with their competitors, they won't catch up/compete for the ring, and their great performances will "only" get them a 3rd/4th place slot.

It's really hard to say, and until they meet up with Cavaliers and Crown again we won't truly know how they stack up.

But in answer to the OP question, I don't think they'll be lower than 4th: they march/play/spin way to good to be lower than 4th, I think, even with a seemingly (at this time) inferior show design.