How low can BD go?

The Blue Devils tend to be the model of top notch, top tier excellency and consistency. But like most things... not always.

From 1987- 1993, a period of 6 years, Blue Devils had one year that they were in the top 3. The other years they were in 4th or 5th place.

1987....... 4th

1988......( 3rd )

1989.......4th

1990.......4th

1991.......5th

1992.......4th

1993.......4th

While the Blue Devils historically are the winners of the most DCI Titles, and are a great organization, it's not like they have NEVER had a year of 4th, 5th place finishes since the early 70's. I'd be surprised to see BD fall into 4th or 5th place this year. I think they simply have too much talent to do so. But it's not like its never happened before.

While this is all true, I think it's safe to say that due to the HUGE staff changes in 1994, the "modern era" Blue Devils (1994-present) are significantly better, and (as I stated in another post after yours) have placed below 3rd only ONCE! From 1994-2010 they have been Top 3 SIXTEEN out of seventeen seasons. This is insane, and at the very least stands as a testament that Blue Devil's current design team knows better than any other in DCI currently how to consistently be Top 3.

Again, point taken that it is not impossible for BD to be 4th, and so far it looks like 4th place this season is more probable than it's been in awhile. But their staff knows what it takes to be Top 3 (plus their talent level is always impeccable) and counting them out this early in the game is naive.

While this is all true, I think it's safe to say that due to the HUGE staff changes in 1994, the "modern era" Blue Devils (1994-present) are significantly better, and (as I stated in another post after yours) have placed below 3rd only ONCE! From 1994-2010 they have been Top 3 SIXTEEN out of seventeen seasons. This is insane, and at the very least stands as a testament that Blue Devil's current design team knows better than any other in DCI currently how to consistently be Top 3.

Again, point taken that it is not impossible for BD to be 4th, and so far it looks like 4th place this season is more probable than it's been in awhile. But their staff knows what it takes to be Top 3 (plus their talent level is always impeccable) and counting them out this early in the game is naive.

I agree. I think the odds are no better that they'll fall out of the top 3 than it is that they'll win their 15th DCI Title this year.

My guess though is that the BD have their hands full getting their 15th Title this year. Any combination of Cadets/ Cavs.... and maybe Crown... might head them off at the pass. But yes, it is a bit early to be saying whats what with the placements off just a couple of shows.

Edited by BRASSO

Please tell me you arent basing finals seasons placemet for anyone off of a two show experiemtn that has no precedent ??? To even begin to deaw a conclusion on the top five right now would be totally misguided.

Geoffrey

• Like 1

This is an interesting DCP discussion and all....but, when you see that BD and Cadets are within .5 (or less) of each other with Cavies ahead of them by a point.....this is just what DCI was looking for....competition. BD has a great music book and their brass is smokin', their percussion is equally smokin' and the Guard is legendary and mostly in tact from last year (remember, like 20.0 last year). When these visual pros get done ratcheting down the chains on their visual package (the way that only BD can do)....all of this discussion of 3rd or 4th place will melt away.

Sure they gambled with their music book of BB this year, but that's what they do....the expected in an unexpected way.

So, settle in with your thoughts of BD in lower places... but just remember the words of Japanese Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto after the successful bombing of Pearl Harbor: "I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve!" :ph34r:

Edited by Plan9
  • Like 2

This is an interesting DCP discussion and all....but, when you see that BD and Cadets are within .5 (or less) of each other with Cavies ahead of them by a point.....this is just what DCI was looking for....competition. BD has a great music book and their brass is smokin', their percussion is equally smokin' and the Guard is legendary and mostly in tact from last year (remember, like 20.0 last year). When these visual pros get done ratcheting down the chains on their visual package (the way that only BD can do)....all of this discussion of 3rd or 4th place will melt away.

Sure they gambled with their music book of BB this year, but that's what they do....the expected in an unexpected way.

So, settle in with your thoughts of BD in lower places... but just remember the words of Japanese Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto after the successful bombing of Pearl Harbor: "I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve!" :ph34r:

Yes, yes you did. Dont ever judge the heart of a Champion. Has BD been out of the top 5 since what, 74?

• Like 1

i guess we'll have to wait and see?

That answer makes too much sense.

Stop it. Right now.

Edited by Fran Haring