Adirondack Drums - 29 June 2011

Thanks for sharing. If the June reviews are a gauge, it seems like more and more Corps are producing more fan friendly shows than in the most recent past.

Haven't seen all the corps on FN yet, but the ones I have seen all seem to have more music that I either recognize or that is continued long enough to give me a sense of what it's about.

After the lumps I took the last two years for complaining about what I considered a downer for "Joe non-music-major Fan," I'm glad to see the change in emphasis. I'm really pumped about a lot of the shows, and although it's probably an exaggeration to say this, I hope the attendance this year reflects what I consider a very positive change. I'm just sorry that it didn't happen last year, before I moved overseas.

Reportedly, they'll be new judging sheets introduced for next season that will factor into the scoring this element too. ( Don't know how the judges will gauge this newly incorporated " entertainment factor ", into their scoring, but thats what they are reportedly going to be instructed to do starting with next season's judged competitions ).

That BRASSO will really fuel the fires for discussions here. Wonder how DCI will de-bias the judges. At least the fans may be in for even more enjoyable shows.

Also (and this confuses me to no end) if you add up all the caption scores from the show you get the total posted score even with no drum judge. If the drum judge had been there Crown would have been in the 90's. I don't get it.

Just reposting this last part of my last post in the hopes that someone can shed some light.

Just reposting this last part of my last post in the hopes that someone can shed some light.

The code to display the recap has two modes -- small panel and full panel. Both modes "do the math" on the full recap. But the "small panel" mode is written to always display percussion instead of the displaying the "rotating" caption.

If you look at the visual total, it includes the (hidden) guard caption. The "small panel" recap also shows the "rotating" caption judge as a percussion judge.

You pretty much have to view the PDF for now. I'm sure someone made an assessment "it's almost July and this problem goes away 'til next season so it's probably not worth digging into right now" :-)

The code to display the recap has two modes -- small panel and full panel. Both modes "do the math" on the full recap. But the "small panel" mode is written to always display percussion instead of the displaying the "rotating" caption.

If you look at the visual total, it includes the (hidden) guard caption. The "small panel" recap also shows the "rotating" caption judge as a percussion judge.

You pretty much have to view the PDF for now. I'm sure someone made an assessment "it's almost July and this problem goes away 'til next season so it's probably not worth digging into right now" :-)

Thanks!

in addition once all the judges are there then the start to divide the visual and music results by 2 which they are currently not doing. so you can't just add in the assumed percussion score without doing the division.

in addition once all the judges are there then the start to divide the visual and music results by 2 which they are currently not doing. so you can't just add in the assumed percussion score without doing the division.

Correct -- they're selectively weighting captions in Music and Visual to a total value of 30 possible points each.

Edited by corpsband

What to say about the Crossmen? First of all I love their show, I believe that the warmup was from Twin Peaks which I posted I wanted to hear a corps perform in a different thread. The flashbacks to 90 and 9 weregreat, and Hallejua gave me goosebumps. I think the placement was right, was dissapointed in the gap between them and Spirit.

there's a video on the 'tube of Crossmen playing twin peaks.

That BRASSO will really fuel the fires for discussions here. Wonder how DCI will de-bias the judges. At least the fans may be in for even more enjoyable shows.

interesting were do all the judges come from. very few from the northeast.

Actually Crown was 2.9 points behind Cavaliers on 6/26 which was the last time they faced each other head to head, until they close this gap in a head to head meeting they are still 2.9 points behind Cavaliers. Scores from different shows are not directly relatable as is evidenced by tonights show in which Crown maintained their almost 3 point lead over Madison from last friday even though Madison had outscored them when comparing each corps last shows prior to last night.

It's all about the spreads and not the actual scores.

Yes, I know. Still, without having a live show to see (until Atlanta), there's not much else to do but compare scores even if they aren't comparable. If you can resist the temptation, then more power to you! :smile: