bridgeport

Exactly.

Gotcha - yeah that was no surprise, the but rest was (do I have to give obligatory IMO?)

I thought that was pretty obvious... that I am surprised if those scores are correct. If they are, I would really like to see Carolina Gold.

... too bad they do not make the "long" trip to Georgia and compete.

I would really like to see them too.

Its only 5 hours away for them.

WINDSOR , FUSION and BUSH should become one corps .

3 small corps in the 60's ????

No wonder same corps are always in the top 5 .

Sorry, but this still bugs me. Why is there a problem with 3 small corps in the 60's? It was much better when we only had 13 corps at championships instead of close to twice that. Creating, fostering and embracing Class A was the smartest thing DCA has ever done, IMO. And as this activity continues to change through the coming years, I suspect Class A sized corps will be the new norm. But why is that a BAD thing? Frankly, I LOVE what these corps are doing. And the fact that I can have all the variety that a dozen corps from all parts of the country can produce is great!

• Like 1

Did anyone ever notice that what's open class in DCA is world class in DCI and what's open class in DCI is class A in DCA? Man does that get me screwed up. :tongue:

Not DCA's fault. DCI decided to go a different route with the naming of their divisions. I'm still not sure why they felt the need to do that. Seems to still work well for DCA after all these years.

Sorry, but this still bugs me. Why is there a problem with 3 small corps in the 60's? It was much better when we only had 13 corps at championships instead of close to twice that. Creating, fostering and embracing Class A was the smartest thing DCA has ever done, IMO. And as this activity continues to change through the coming years, I suspect Class A sized corps will be the new norm. But why is that a BAD thing? Frankly, I LOVE what these corps are doing. And the fact that I can have all the variety that a dozen corps from all parts of the country can produce is great!

i think class A was a great idea. it gave lesser corps a chance at a championship and helps the to improve. it was a great idea.

• Like 1

Ive read Sayre Kulp and Jersey boys opinions here and I find myself agreeing with both of them. Clearly The Class A division is a warranted division and needed division. On the other other hand if Fusion, WR and Bush were to combine forces they would be a powerhouse in the Open Class Division. No argument there.

I guess my next statements are going to be thought provoking. I feel some will deem them as negative. That is not my intent. Then intent is to bring about some spirited discussion and possible solutions that might be somewhat outside the box of conventional thinking.

My understanding of why the Class A division was brought about was that smallish corps found themselves at a competitive disadvantage against the larger corps. So the Class A division was brought about to allow the smallish corps to become competitive within their given classification. That seems to be working out wonderfully.

Lets jump ahead to 2011 where we are at today as it applies to the Open class corps.

Now we have open class and class A two separate divisions and there are some VERY good Class A corps out there that have shown they can hang with the lower half of the open class corps and possibly come over the top of the open class corps outside semis and finals.

Now in 2011 what we have is 5 very LARGE and powerful corps and 6 smallish size open class corps having a hard time cracking into that top 5 bracket. Huge separation in 5th and 6th place in the points standings. Some of those Smallish open class corps will probably field numbers under the 65 rule come labor day. Some have even commented and suggested that its unreasonable for those corps to be competing in the open class division even though the rules allow for it.

So is it time to look at 2011 and come up with a 2011 solution? Or just keep things the way they are?

Edited by camel lips
  • Like 1

Ive read Sayre Kulp and Jersey boys opinions here and I find myself agreeing with both of them. Clearly The Class A division is a warranted division and needed division. On the other other hand if Fusion, WR and Bush were to combine forces they would be a powerhouse in the Open Class Division. No argument there.

I guess my next statements are going to be thought provoking. I feel some will deem them as negative. That is not my intent. Then intent is to bring about some spirited discussion and possible solutions that might be somewhat outside the box of conventional thinking.

My understanding of why the Class A division was brought about was that smallish corps found themselves at a competitive disadvantage against the larger corps. So the Class A division was brought about to allow the smallish corps to become competitive within their given classification. That seems to be working out wonderfully.

Lets jump ahead to 2011 where we are at today as it applies to the Open class corps.

Now we have open class and class A two separate divisions and there are some VERY good Class A corps out there that have shown they can hang with the lower half of the open class corps and possibly come over the top of the open class corps outside semis and finals.

Now in 2011 what we have is 5 very LARGE and powerful corps and 6 smallish size open class corps having a hard time cracking into that top 5 bracket. Huge separation in 5th and 6th place in the points standings. Some of those Smallish open class corps will probably field numbers under the 65 rule come labor day. Some have even commented and suggested that its unreasonable for those corps to be competing in the open class division even though the rules allow for it.

So is it time to look at 2011 and come up with a 2011 solution? Or just keep things the way they are?

just for a reference and i know this is 39 years ago but in 1972 the bucs had a very small corps. really small. and at DCA that year they played over their heads and come in 3rd. and i'm not knocking the bucs from that year. so a small corps can in fact place well in the end. and all the corps in the top 8 that year were huge. just sayin............

Being that it's July you can't make a huge change this late. It's an off season topic.

In my exprience most (not all) Drum Corps merger negotiations didn't work out, mostly due to intructional staffs because each corps wanted to keep its own.

• Like 1

In my exprience most (not all) Drum Corps merger negotiations didn't work out, mostly due to intructional staffs because each corps wanted to keep its own.

I can see that. No doubt about that. Probably one of the biggest reasons that corps split to start with.