bridgeport

Is More Better?

Well Yes and No. More "Qualified" groups, Yes. Like Cadet2. Which "I" do not think "I" will care for. BUT, Yes they will meet all the things they must have to be a DCA group. "I" am sure they will also be a group with quality. "I" think they will not have a problem getting people and be of a good size. They would not put anything else out on the field.

Also, small groups CAN be Qualified and have Quality. Just look at how well Govies do each year. Then also Shen. Sound. They may not win much, BUT are always very Entertaining.

With more groups filling in the distance between groups in areas outside the northeast. I think that it will cut back on the Long travel costs. So they must be supported as best we can.

Then if EACH of top 5 or 6 would make make at least ONE Long trip outside their comfort zone. That would show More Local people what DCA can be. Kind of Reverse of like CorpsVets going to the North East for a show or two each year. (or one of the Texas groups going Minnestota each year). Maybe have Reading go to CorpsVets show? OR Cabs going to Cinci Tradition Show? Or maybe Empire to Kilties show? How about Hurricanes go to Ontario or Montreal? Just one show each for the Top Groups, One Weekend out to a far off place, might grow More Interest in DCA in out lying areas.

Or as I said before. Have a "National Dream" like show in Columbus, Ohio. Having both Jr and All Age. Top groups from Both DCA and DCI. (Buc's, Cab's, Empire, Minn. Brass, Hurricanes, Kilts -- Phantom, Bluecoats, Cavies, Cadets, Blue Devils, Madison. In Exhibition Cinci Tradition. Do you think that could fill a stadium?

Edited by 2B or not 2B

Ive read Sayre Kulp and Jersey boys opinions here and I find myself agreeing with both of them. Clearly The Class A division is a warranted division and needed division. On the other other hand if Fusion, WR and Bush were to combine forces they would be a powerhouse in the Open Class Division. No argument there.

I guess my next statements are going to be thought provoking. I feel some will deem them as negative. That is not my intent. Then intent is to bring about some spirited discussion and possible solutions that might be somewhat outside the box of conventional thinking.

My understanding of why the Class A division was brought about was that smallish corps found themselves at a competitive disadvantage against the larger corps. So the Class A division was brought about to allow the smallish corps to become competitive within their given classification. That seems to be working out wonderfully.

Lets jump ahead to 2011 where we are at today as it applies to the Open class corps. any corp should have thier choice of open or class a, most open class corps are in that division to win a vote on the board

Now we have open class and class A two separate divisions and there are some VERY good Class A corps out there that have shown they can hang with the lower half of the open class corps and possibly come over the top of the open class corps outside semis and finals.

Now in 2011 what we have is 5 very LARGE and powerful corps and 6 smallish size open class corps having a hard time cracking into that top 5 bracket. Huge separation in 5th and 6th place in the points standings. Some of those Smallish open class corps will probably field numbers under the 65 rule come labor day. Some have even commented and suggested that its unreasonable for those corps to be competing in the open class division even though the rules allow for it.

So is it time to look at 2011 and come up with a 2011 solution? Or just keep things the way they are?

from all us Bushwackers we will not give up we love our corp to much to quit now once again we will improve weekly until were back on top

Best of luck to you. Funny thing is, Bush has had the only show that would be in the same ZIP code to challenge the Bucs, but just can't seem to draw the horses while other corps who are toast as soon as their concepts come off the drawing board are fielding competitive numbers. If Bush could draw just 35 horns and a similar representation in the guard and battery we might actually have ourselves a contest.

• Like 2

Best of luck to you. Funny thing is, Bush has had the only show that would be in the same ZIP code to challenge the Bucs, but just can't seem to draw the horses while other corps who are toast as soon as their concepts come off the drawing board are fielding competitive numbers. If Bush could draw just 35 horns and a similar representation in the guard and battery we might actually have ourselves a contest.

:smile:

Best of luck to you. Funny thing is, Bush has had the only show that would be in the same ZIP code to challenge the Bucs, but just can't seem to draw the horses while other corps who are toast as soon as their concepts come off the drawing board are fielding competitive numbers. If Bush could draw just 35 horns and a similar representation in the guard and battery we might actually have ourselves a

contest.

Your absolutely right! No other corps show could possibly come close to being on par with the Bucs other than Bush's show! I don't know why any other corps should even try!

That was ALL sarcasm just incase you didn't get that.

Look- I am not in any way, shape, or form, trying to say you shouldn't voice your own opinion. But to say that Bush's show is the only one in the same zip code as the Bucs is a GROSS overstatement. I can think of, oh I don't know, 5 other corps in the same ballpark.

Edited by irishbugle
  • Like 2

Your absolutely right! No other corps show could possibly come close to being on par with the Bucs other than Bush's show! I don't know why any other corps should even try!

That was ALL sarcasm just incase you didn't get that.

Look- I am not in any way, shape, or form, trying to say you shouldn't voice your own opinion. But to say that Bush's show is the only one in the same zip code as the Bucs is a GROSS overstatement. I can think of, oh I don't know, 5 other corps in the same ballpark.

I needed a good laugh today. Thanks for that.

• Like 1

I needed a good laugh today. Thanks for that.

Ed, you should know by now any thread that relates to a show, a review, or an opinion on this forum is good for a laugh to at least someone. No matter what someone thinks, feels, says about anything SOMEONE is bound to get their panties in such a bunch that it cuts off circulation to everything.

• Like 1

Best of luck to you. Funny thing is, Bush has had the only show that would be in the same ZIP code to challenge the Bucs

Except that the corps who have come closest to beating the Buccaneers since 2005 are the Empire Statesmen, Minnesota Brass and Caballeros.

No offense to anyone... but I think those corps have, at various times since '05, existed within the same ZIP code.

• Like 2

Is More Better?

Well Yes and No. More "Qualified" groups, Yes. Like Cadet2. Which "I" do not think "I" will care for. BUT, Yes they will meet all the things they must have to be a DCA group. "I" am sure they will also be a group with quality. "I" think they will not have a problem getting people and be of a good size. They would not put anything else out on the field.

Also, small groups CAN be Qualified and have Quality. Just look at how well Govies do each year. Then also Shen. Sound. They may not win much, BUT are always very Entertaining.

With more groups filling in the distance between groups in areas outside the northeast. I think that it will cut back on the Long travel costs. So they must be supported as best we can.

Then if EACH of top 5 or 6 would make make at least ONE Long trip outside their comfort zone. That would show More Local people what DCA can be. Kind of Reverse of like CorpsVets going to the North East for a show or two each year. (or one of the Texas groups going Minnestota each year). Maybe have Reading go to CorpsVets show? OR Cabs going to Cinci Tradition Show? Or maybe Empire to Kilties show? How about Hurricanes go to Ontario or Montreal? Just one show each for the Top Groups, One Weekend out to a far off place, might grow More Interest in DCA in out lying areas.

Or as I said before. Have a "National Dream" like show in Columbus, Ohio. Having both Jr and All Age. Top groups from Both DCA and DCI. (Buc's, Cab's, Empire, Minn. Brass, Hurricanes, Kilts -- Phantom, Bluecoats, Cavies, Cadets, Blue Devils, Madison. In Exhibition Cinci Tradition. Do you think that could fill a stadium?

Cincinnati Tradition is not hosting a DCA show this season. They are not ready for such a venture, just yet. But that remains a possibility in the future. In the late 80's Steel City Ambassadors and Westshoremen traveled to Chicago and Dayton. Empire Statesmen have already performed in Northern Ohio, as well. I understand your reasoning and agree that this can go a long way in marketing DCA in other regions. It is interesting to note that Cincinnati is located an almost equal distance from three regions of DCA: East, Central and South. Before Cincinnati Tradition considers extended travel,

they must continue the modest growth they are currently experiencing and find a way to boost that growth to numbers that approach the top corps in DCA Class A. They are traveling to Racine this season to compete at the Kilties home show and to Rochester for DCA prelims/finals. That is what the budget will support, for now.

Cincinnati Tradition is not hosting a DCA show this season. They are not ready for such a venture, just yet. But that remains a possibility in the future. In the late 80's Steel City Ambassadors and Westshoremen traveled to Chicago and Dayton. Empire Statesmen have already performed in Northern Ohio, as well. I understand your reasoning and agree that this can go a long way in marketing DCA in other regions. It is interesting to note that Cincinnati is located an almost equal distance from three regions of DCA: East, Central and South. Before Cincinnati Tradition considers extended travel,

they must continue the modest growth they are currently experiencing and find a way to boost that growth to numbers that approach the top corps in DCA Class A. They are traveling to Racine this season to compete at the Kilties home show and to Rochester for DCA prelims/finals. That is what the budget will support, for now.

Actually, the Chicago Dayton weekend, I was chief judge for both shows and drove my van to the midwest picking up judges along the way... (Bob Thomas was in charge of entertainment) We had a great time, great corps performances but no audience... It was a financial disaster...