East Coast Inflation

Haha, i do agree though. Bloo is the indicator here. They are FAR to low right now. They should most likely be between 78-79.5ish

I think you may be right. The Coats have had several shows in a row with the 5 judge panel being 3 vis and 2 music. No brass or perc judge in the last week.

Those two areas are Bluecoat strengths so I think they may get a noticeable increase when they finally get a full panel.

• Like 2

In 2 weeks when everyone meets in MN the East Coast/West Coast inflation argument won't mean boo, and most of these judges will be back at their day jobs.

Indeed, but it does mean something in terms of what Ur being told by judges to fix, Ur excellence etc... This is a time when u want to get an accurate read!!

Wes P

In 2 weeks when everyone meets in MN the East Coast/West Coast inflation argument won't mean boo, and most of these judges will be back at their day jobs.

" Day jobs " ? Many of the judges are employed in Education, so they're off for the summer. Plus, one look at the judges names, and most likely some of them will be in Minneapolis. That said, I do agree with you that comparing scores from different shows on the same night is meaningless. ' Have said so for years too.

I stand corrected. They will be preparing for band camp. :smile:

Maybe not with cuts in education, ouch!!! GOV PERRY SUCKS!! ok I'm calm!

• Like 1

how high the scores go has to do with spreads, how much better is corp b compared to corp a. For example, if bluecoats win a weaker show, the score isn't likely to go as high as a maybe a second or third place corp in a stronger show

I stand corrected. They will be preparing for band camp. :smile:

It's a slap at the judges with the 'school' remark and either a sour grapes or 'doosh'bag remark beyond that. Presuming the corps questioned were not worthy of the scores assessed versus what has been assessed further west speaks volumes as to your agenda...DCI takes great pains to have all of their judges follow identical criteria when adjudicating corps. I presume you know that...though perhaps such an assumption is 'inflated'?

Edited by strutta

It's a slap at the judges with the 'school' remark and either a sour grapes or 'doosh'bag remark beyond that. Presuming the corps questioned were not worthy of the scores assessed versus what has been assessed further west speaks volumes as to your agenda...DCI takes great pains to have all of their judges follow identical criteria when adjudicating corps. I presume you know that...though perhaps such an assumption is 'inflated'?

I agree poor taste to call out judges with remarks like that...

BUT It's just ANOTHER reason to explain WHY Corps A corps should not be higher than Corps B...

<sarcasm on>

the panel saw it wrong of course :ph34r: ...It can't be my beloved XYZ corps... they can't be that low...they couldn't of had a bad show or night...not possible...the panel was too big...no the other one was too small...wait...different show...that's it...let me make sure that I show everyone the weekly weighted averages now to KEEP my corps still ahead...it wasn't like this two weeks ago so its impossible now...early season we see huge changes...slow start...fast start..they may peak...the haven't competed head to head yet.....LOL

<sarcasm off>

All scoring is relative to the other corps at the same show.

And as far as the objective criteria a judge uses for judging a performance, that is all relative between judges as well. We saw that indicated the very first two competitions, when Crown went down 4 points from one show to another.

Objective criteria is not as objective as you think. And, it is very difficult to judge shows - try having a judge explain why a corps should get, say, exactly 7.5 in brass and not a 7.4 or 7.6 - I'd bet they'd have a hard time explaining that. They might also have a hard time explaining what kind of brass performance gets a 7.5 and not a 7.6 or 7.4 before judging a performance starts. I'd bet they might try starting off with something like "well I gave the last corps a 7.x, so in order for this corps to get x amount higher..." etc. which, then, brings us to "well what made you give the very first corps the score you gave them, since no one went before them and you can't give them a relative score based upon the corps before because there WAS no corps before?" What will the judge say then? "Well, I had read that at the last competition, Judge X gave them a 6.5, so this time I figured they probably did a little better, so I'll give them a 6.7"

I really don't think they are there with a calculator on their desk, with 10 on it, then hitting - .1 every time they hear a wrong note, or out of tune, or not blending well at that particular passage, etc. To me, THAT would be more objective than what seems to be the case now.

And all this is why scores don't matter, only spreads.

And I know this might be off-topic, but I'd be in favor of the entire scoring system being totally re-thought, and get rid of the 100 point system.

Edited by BoyWonder1911

Ok, so there are some wacky scores going on this summer. Does it mean anything? No, because until all corps go head to head we don't know where everyone really sits, But Lord The East Coast Is Having Them Some Inflation!! Possible that Crown is better than Cavies/Cadets at this point, could be, they're likely close. But Scouts and Boston 78 & 77 respectively? Seems quite high, I bet Bluecoats are better than both those corps yet they're scoring 76ish right now. BStars and BK at 74, but Spirit at 74 on East Coast? Not judging it's possible, but I'm betting both BK and Bstars are both closer to Madison and Boston than Spirit! No diss intended for anyone but I thing East Coast Inflations in full effect!!

Wes P

No inflations on the east coast. Just good old drum corp.