East Coast Inflation

1) if DCI is so concerned with " ties " being a bad thing, isn't it reasonable to assume that a mechanism would have been put in place by DCI by now to determine clear cut " winners " in the event of " ties " ? Are you aware that DCI has had " ties " at Championships for their " Champion " and without a mechanism in place for determining the " winner " they left it as " Co- Champions " ? So ties, is not something that judges would " be fired for " as you said, in my opinion.

2) Also.. if I do as you suggest, and go on " youtube " to watch and listen to the Corps there, are all the Corps there shown from the same show ? And how exactly do we know which percussion section is" better"... or which Guard section is " better" from youtube, if I played a brass instrument ? I wouldn't know a well executed paradiddle from a well executed dance or guard equipment move. So what is " better " I leave to the knowledgeable and trained judges in their captions of expertise. What I " like " however, I can get on Youtube. I have a longstanding deal with the DCI judges. I don't tell them which Corps show performance is " better ", and they don't tell me which Corps show performance I " like ".

First of all, I was talking about ties in individual captions, but DCI has also done exactly what you said, created a mechanism so that we no longer have co-champions. So, as I said before, it's obvious that ties are NOT something that DCI likes and Judges DO disappear from the activity all the time for making questionable (in the eyes of DCI) calls. You just have to watch the recaps.

Secondly, I can see why you would think this, but I know many of DCI's top judges on both a personal and professional level, and while they are mostly very good musicians with very good eyes and ears, a trained music or dance instructor has ears and eyes that are just as honed as those of DCI's top judges. The difference is in the politics that have been played in order for these people to become judges. I'm not saying that these are bad people, they're simply human, and they make human mistakes, often subconsciously. They're also under a great deal of pressure to get things right. A good example for what I'm talking about is an MLB umpire. I've seen countless umps get calls completely wrong on national TV. Everyone watching on TV can tell the call is wrong. The ump who made the call, might very well know in his mind as he's arguing with an irate team manager that he got the call wrong, and still he will argue his case and even throw that manager out even if he feels that the manager has a point. Why? Because going back on a call that he has already mate undermines his own authority. DCI judges are the same. Maybe you can't go on youtube and watch performances of different corps and tell which one is better or cleaner, but I can, and I bet most of the people reading this board can too, even if they can't always explain why.

LOL

Whatever, man.

I just give my opinions how I see them. And I didn't try "instructing" people on how to watch a show. I just merely told people how I DO watch shows. I do try to analyze everything. When you watch a show for the first time, yeah, it's fun, and I like to enjoy that, but when you see the same shows almost every day for 2 weeks, one can't help but notice things.

I hear cracked notes, being out of tune, missed dots, etc. because I know what to look for. I'm not exactly a musical amateur. And it makes it worthwhile for me in the long run, because when a corps finally gets a certain part "right", and when they improve things, I notice it, and it makes me appreciate what the marchers do all the more, and it makes my applaud all the more meaningful.

Now go ahead and pick apart my opinions, BBMM. I'm waiting.

I'll be up allllllll night!

:tongue:

So you know all of this, yet you've never marched? So you have no clue what it's like to be out there on the field? I'm not mocking or ridiculing, I'm merely pointing out that you're new to this activity...and, therefore, you have little experience (and no first-hand experience) to draw from. It in no way invalidates your opinion, but you have to understand how all this information is put together to make an assumption about your knowledge

I may trust my dentist, but I'm also not taking advice from him about open-heart surgery. lol

So you know all of this, yet you've never marched? So you have no clue what it's like to be out there on the field? I'm not mocking or ridiculing, I'm merely pointing out that you're new to this activity...and, therefore, you have little experience (and no first-hand experience) to draw from. It in no way invalidates your opinion, but you have to understand how all this information is put together to make an assumption about your knowledge

I may trust my dentist, but I'm also not taking advice from him about open-heart surgery. lol

First of all, don't make assumptions. I did march, in my high school marching band. I know it's not quite the same as marching drum corps, but they are both marching. And besides, marching a drum corps hardly automatically qualifies anyone to give an educated opinion on things.

And second of all, it doesn't matter if someone's opinion is unqualified or not, or even maybe ridiculous - this is DCP. 99.99999999999% of us are not ever going to change the drum corps world for the better or worse with our opinions.

And finally, I'm not new to this activity. I haven't been around since the 70's, but you probably haven't been either - probably born in the mid-late 70's from my guess. I've been a fan since 98, when I discovered the activity. I don't follow up on who's director of this corps or that corps, or the entire history of Jim Mason, etc, whatever. Frankly, I don't care all that much - I just like to watch shows and drive trucks, and then come to DCP and unintentionally drive you bonkers. I am familiar with some history of DCI, not a whole lot, but some. I'm also familiar with some past shows. Don't make me out to be some clueless noob. And as far as musicality goes, I'm pretty sure I could hold my own in a contest between you and I on any given brass instrument. You pick.

If you're going to take my posts seriously, fine, but leave me alone about it. If you're going to laugh to yourself at my posts and tell yourself how unqualified I am to give any kind of opinion, then fine, but keep that to yourself as well.

I'm really getting tired of reading you criticizing my posts, and not only mine, but some others' I have noticed as well.

Edited by BoyWonder1911
  • Like 3

AMEN, This thread is about wacky scores and discussions about them! Everyone on this board is entitled to their opinion and 9 times out of 10 what someone says when they disagree is bait to start a flame-athon!! Let's all respect each others right to post and watch drum corps and keep our bowels and our brains from getting inflamed:-)!

• Like 3

It's not the opinion that was being discussed. No problem with people having (and expressing) opinions.

As far as tick system, that's really what they use now, without calling it that. It must be that, otherwise how else can they judge with any kind of objectivity?

I don't believe this is true. As I understand it from comments I've read here over the past two years, the tick system literally involved a "tick", that is, a mark on the sheet that translated into a score deduction, for every error noted by the performance judges. The system was abandoned in the early 1980s because it was believed to be stifling creativity, or so I have read: there was no point in trying something new because creative thinking wasn't rewarded, and mattered much less than keeping a show clean. (I welcome clarification or correction.)

AMEN, This thread is about wacky scores and discussions about them! Everyone on this board is entitled to their opinion and 9 times out of 10 what someone says when they disagree is bait to start a flame-athon!! Let's all respect each others right to post and watch drum corps and keep our bowels and our brains from getting inflamed:-)!

Think you can go 30 seconds without honking about BK? It is getting pretty annoying.

• Like 1

I don't believe this is true. As I understand it from comments I've read here over the past two years, the tick system literally involved a "tick", that is, a mark on the sheet that translated into a score deduction, for every error noted by the performance judges. The system was abandoned in the early 1980s because it was believed to be stifling creativity, or so I have read: there was no point in trying something new because creative thinking wasn't rewarded, and mattered much less than keeping a show clean. (I welcome clarification or correction.)

the tic system was supposed to be about being objective, well it wasnt at all, It was just as subjective and open to huge interpretation (just as being subjective is)it was a hot mess

Think you can go 30 seconds without honking about BK? It is getting pretty annoying.

How can we sit behind a computer and call a stranger annoying. Hes a great guy, and its nice to see him loyal to his corps. I dont see him "honking" at all.......

G

• Like 1

Sure I can, I just choose not to!!!!!!!! I'm ok with being annoying! But, I am putting my money where my mouth is and help recruit and work to get Texas kids involved in the wonderful world of my beloved BK!!!! oh wait, wait for it wait for it.............. BKBKBKBKBKBKBKBKBKBKBKBKBKBKBKBKBKBKBKBKBKBKBKBKBKBKBKBKBKBKBKBKBKBKBKBKBKBKBKBKBKBKBKBKBKBKBKBKBKBKBKBKBKBKBKBKBKBKBKBKBKBKBKBKBKBKBKBKB!!!!!!!!!!:-):-)

BKBKBKBKBKBKBKBKBKBKBKBKBKBKBKBKBKBKBKBKBKBKBKBKBKBKBKBKBKBKBKBKBKBKBKBKBKBKBKBKBKBKBKBKBKBKBKBKBKBKBKBKBKBKBKBKBKBKBKBKBKBKBKBKBKBKBKBKBKBKBKBK, more???

I don't care about being annoying I love the corps, and the way they operate!! Mark Arnold and staff are some of the best folks you'll ever meet. If that's annoying I'm glad to be annoying!! Have a great life:-)!

Edited by wesleyrp
  • Like 1