Academy's tour schedule

when you book a show with DCI you are entittled to 6 corps, if you want more Corps you have to pay more, most show coordinators will not pay extra to bring in the Academy....

This is the first time I have ever heard of this.

Edited by Zeke

This is the first time I have ever heard of this.

That's because that's not how it works. When you run a show (and my wife does) you get a contract from DCI for the number of corps that were scheduled (way back in October I believe) for your show. In other words, the corps that signed up for your show. We have had shows with as few as 4 world class corps and as many as 8. We pay per corps whatever the rate is for that year. (Our contract this year is for around $25,000 and we have 7 World and 1 Open corps) There have been years when we have asked for another corps to make a bigger show, and then if one is found that can do it, we pay a bigger contract.

Also the contract is not the sum total of the cost to run a show - that does not include stadium rental, marketing, housing etc. It is a very expensive endeavor that most show directors do for the love of the activity.

• Like 2

The Academy has run this type of schedule for years. I believe it does hurt them in the long run, however in order to stay alive they have to do what keeps them afloat. The kids that support and particpate in the academy are very loyal. With the cost to tour with them and the limited number of actual shows you'd have to be. It works for them but probably wouldn't work for me. I don't believe you get the entire experience with just a few shows.

I have a great deal of respect for the staff as they are wonderful with the kids and make the most of their experience.

• Like 2

Academy is back in Arizona this week and the majority of next week tweaking and cleaning up their show. We will see if or how the time away from the tour affects their placement vs. the other corps. I do know that they are making a major push this year to break into the top 12. Watch the show, there's new uniforms (they seem odd at first but grow on you after a while) and the drum line and brass are probably their best ever.

• Like 1

I am such a fan of Academy's show this year! I only wish more people had a chance to see them, (up to this point). I am very excited to see what these days of tweaking and cleaning will produce......and wish them all the best as the season continues! :thumbup: More great things to come....! GO Academy!

• Like 1

So they can't afford to tour but they can afford new uniforms (when the new ones are garish and the old ones looked great)???

Not sure that makes sense.

Also not sure why a corps would go all the way back to Arizona to rehearse in 108* heat when there are likely suitors in the Midwest who would house them.

Not to mention the "excuse" that no shows would "take them" is rubbish.

I'm questioning whether or not Academy wants to be a big-boy corps, honestly.

• Like 2

So they can't afford to tour but they can afford new uniforms (when the new ones are garish and the old ones looked great)???

Not sure that makes sense.

Also not sure why a corps would go all the way back to Arizona to rehearse in 108* heat when there are likely suitors in the Midwest who would house them.

Not to mention the "excuse" that no shows would "take them" is rubbish.

I'm questioning whether or not Academy wants to be a big-boy corps, honestly.

Academy seems to be a weird little oddity within WC, they play like a world corps but tour like an OC corps. This cant be good for there longevity and hurts there ability to get there name and identity out there to possible future memebers. I hope they can make it in years to come because there behavior is reminiscent of a corps that doesnt seem very financially secure.

Academy seems to be a weird little oddity within WC, they play like a world corps but tour like an OC corps. This cant be good for there longevity and hurts there ability to get there name and identity out there to possible future memebers. I hope they can make it in years to come because there behavior is reminiscent of a corps that doesnt seem very financially secure.

Agreed. I'm not trying to beat on them, because they've proven they have considerable talent and obvious interest. However, the 'limited' touring model does not seem to work, history has shown. Look at all of the California corps - Mandarins, Pacific Crest, etc. They are all good drum corps, but the limited schedule very obviously provides a severe disadvantage.

They obviously have supporters - look at these forums... every season people project them into Finals only to see them finish 15th or whatever. But that support and interest is obviously there. I think EVERYONE would like to see them go full-out.

Bottom line is this - you join a drum corps to perform, and the mission statements of most corps reflect a strive to educate through performance. I certainly didn't march because I craved an education from a great staff (although that was a nice side-benefit), I marched to perform.

Edited by Lead