Academy's tour schedule

<rant>

No offense to open class corps. But looks like there wouldn't be too much excitement for those championships... But hey with the new format there might be an open class corps in world class finals. Just wondering, would you say the same if Cadets, Cavaliers, etc were in the same financial/limited tour schedule as Academy?

</rant>

Yes, but consistent top 5 corps should never do a limited tour.

I'd buy this idea with the following stipulation. If Academy "should" return to OC until they either decide to operate with financial recklessness, and/or are willing to tour a "complete tour" as defined by DCP pundits ( rather than by DCI), then all those corps who tour a full tour by DCP definition but who also field shows inferior to that of The Academy's ALSO be asked to return to OC until they "can get it right". :ph34r:

I thought we had pretty much talked this one to death last season, but I guess not. (sigh).

Well the thing is, aside from the financial aspects, I wonder why Academy needs to take that extra time off? Academy beats a lot of corps who do the full tour. What would happen if Academy did the full tour as well? Right now they have an advantage over those other corps. They get more rehearsal time to clean their show. If they did the full tour, would they stay competitive within their tier?

Also, I wasn't on DCP last season.

Edited by DCIfan90

I guess why I'm trying to say is that aren't the division placements made by the skill of the corps, not what they can/can't afford or whether or not thy choose to take time off of tour to better themselves. I mean I could understand like if they only toured for only the last 2 weeks or something. But academy does do a lot of the tour. Plus extra rehearsal time helps with filling holes, big show changes, and cleans a lot (Which benefits everybody IMO)

I guess why I'm trying to say is that aren't the division placements made by the skill of the corps, not what they can/can't afford or whether or not thy choose to take time off of tour to better themselves.

OC doesnt have to be just about skill level though. It could also be the place for corps that make the choice to do a limited tour. Maybe OC would be viewed a bit less poorly if there wasnt such a big gap in performance level.

What i could ultimately see happening though is all divisions merging together. The only difference between corps would be the pay scale, and youd likely see the limited touring corps down near open class in terms of that (which has some fairness... if youre not going to do the miles, why should you make as much?)

Edited by AlexL

Well the thing is, aside from the financial aspects, I wonder why Academy needs to take that extra time off? Academy beats a lot of corps who do the full tour. What would happen if Academy did the full tour as well? Right now they have an advantage over those other corps. They get more rehearsal time to clean their show. If they did the full tour, would they stay competitive within their tier?

Also, I wasn't on DCP last season.

I'm thinking that the reason this whole issue seems to drag on is the two polar opposite camps: their tour schedule puts them at an advantage over other corps (more practice time, lessened strain old travel time, etc.) vs. their tour schedule puts them at a distinct disadvantage to other corps (fewer performances, less judges exposure, etc.). This, to me, is where two diametrically opposed positions can be ultimately true. They do have the advantage of more practice time, but it is with the disadvantage of being practice without critical feedback. Ultimately, from a competition stand-point its a wash either way.

To me, the only thing that is really important is that this is a young organization (ten years of existence, seven with a drum corps, five in WC) that is steadily building something of real value in the Tempe/Mesa/Phoenix area (the organization offers other programs beside just the D&B corps). They are doing so within the rules as defined by DCI, and they are doing so by providing a worthy product on the field for our enjoyment.

I personally can't ask for more from a corps; they have my complete support.

• Like 4

I don't know... I guess that at least in my opinion academy may not have a completely full tour but I don't think it's limited, at least not to the point where members have anything against it. I don't see taking a week and a half off as a big offense...there are community performances and all that. I just think it's a pretty smart move financially and competitively (in some ways)

like i said earlier, i don't get this animosity towards academy.

if anything, it seems more reasonable to have animosity towards DCI (the member corps) for the rules they have chosen to create, which academy is following.

I'm thinking that the reason this whole issue seems to drag on is the two polar opposite camps: their tour schedule puts them at an advantage over other corps (more practice time, lessened strain old travel time, etc.) vs. their tour schedule puts them at a distinct disadvantage to other corps (fewer performances, less judges exposure, etc.). This, to me, is where two diametrically opposed positions can be ultimately true. They do have the advantage of more practice time, but it is with the disadvantage of being practice without critical feedback. Ultimately, from a competition stand-point its a wash either way.

To me, the only thing that is really important is that this is a young organization (ten years of existence, seven with a drum corps, five in WC) that is steadily building something of real value in the Tempe/Mesa/Phoenix area (the organization offers other programs beside just the D&B corps). They are doing so within the rules as defined by DCI, and they are doing so by providing a worthy product on the field for our enjoyment.

I personally can't ask for more from a corps; they have my complete support.

Good points made here. Seriously people.......why so much anger and nastiness directed at such an awesome corps?? I saw them twice in SoCal, and the fans responded with lots of love to their show. I happened to sit next to the parents of one of the drum line members, and they were beside themselves with pride and excitement. They were new to the activity and were loving every minute of it. I told them about DCI.org and the fan network, (kinda glad I didn't mention DCP :hmmm: ). Their son was loving his experience....as were they. They already had their tickets to Indy, (whether or not Academy made finals),and were fully enjoying it all.

I feel like that is what is important, here. Academy has a good number of competitions ahead. I'm going to enjoy as many as I can (via FN)! Good luck Academy!!

• Like 1

So, people are freaking about Academy's touring schedule, right? Let's look at the data here, since going World Class, they have placed 13, 18, 14, and 14. Where is the problem? Their system seems to be working fine for them. It's there call to tour how they want to tour, and they have some pretty great financial stability, and have been successful in their bracket. I think that this year or next will be their year to break into the Top 12, and if they can do that on a regional model, then more power to them.

Go Academy! I love the new uniforms! And the show is great!