Like 'em or not...

No one is taking anything personal buddy. Just because I'm an alum doesn't imply that I take any statement toward the Cadets personal. You made your opinion known, and I'm letting you know how much I disagree with it. It has nothing to do with me but everything to do with the design of the Cadets' show. It's annoying when people constantly talk about how much a theme has been done to death. People complain about corps having "accessible" music, but some people are never really satisfied right?

That right there, is a personal statement that has everything to do with you. I'm sorry that my opinion is annoying to you. That being said, you will never find a post from me suggesting that corps music is not accessible enough. I like drum corps because it is different, and thus have no desire to see it become the same as everything else. Have a nice night.

• Like 1

That right there, is a personal statement that has everything to do with you. I'm sorry that my opinion is annoying to you. That being said, you will never find a post from me suggesting that corps music is not accessible enough. I like drum corps because it is different, and thus have no desire to see it become the same as everything else. Have a nice night.

Like I said, it's nothing to do with me. Say what you want, but the point is drum corps has been repetitive forever. If you don't like seeing a theme being done over and over, then why bother watching it? If you dislike the show so much, why open this thread and comment on it? Have a nice night yourself.

• Like 3

Like I said, it's nothing to do with me. Say what you want, but the point is drum corps has been repetitive forever. If you don't like seeing a theme being done over and over, then why bother watching it? If you dislike the show so much, why open this thread and comment on it? Have a nice night yourself.

people dont seem to mind Madison or when other corps bring back a show or theme...( just sayin ) in fact on DCP people love re-living

there have been some over the years that have rehashed and rehased to death and some people love it...not all but many...lol

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 2

people dont seem to mind Madison or when other corps bring back a show or theme...( just sayin ) in fact on DCP people love re-living

there have been some over the years that have rehashed and rehased to death and some people love it...not all but many...lol

Exactly my point.

• Like 3

Exactly my point.

When you mention that someone's opinion annoys you, then that is in fact personal, and is about you. Saying that it isn't, doesn't change that. And don't make my opinion into something that it isn't. I'm not sitting here losing sleep at night because I don't like the Cadets show. I said as much when I posted my opinion in the first place. As I said, there are things I do like about the show, but I feel that the concept is overdone, and they aren't bringing anything new to it.

As for the topic, people don't mind repetitive things from Madison because Madison hasn't set a precedent for innovation the last 15 to 20 years. The Cadets, as well as several other corps have. I'm not a huge fan of Madison either. That doesn't mean I won't watch their show, or that I can't enjoy things about it. It's just not a show that I would choose to watch over some others. Not everything is black and white.

• Like 2

A lot of this depends on past perspective. One of the things I think most about when I watch Crown's opener this year is Phantom 95. The approaches to Rach's music are just very similar.

I wouldn't say that it "lacks innovation" or "is rehashed" or whatever things people attach to something they happen to not like. Even though from my perspective, it's reminiscent of past drum corps, crown has a brilliant program this year, including the opener, which is full of fresh musical and visual ideas.

The same is true with the cadets thematic choice this year, IMO. Same idea that some other corps have done, but I wouldn't call it old wine in new bottles by a longshot. The music they're doing isn't exactly a staple of marching music. The drill is masterful because even though it's technically marvelous, it never feels like it becomes all about "hey, we're angels and demons and we're wearing two different uniforms"; the best moments in the drill are more subtle than that, and transcend it. I find the whole show plenty innovative, along with SCV, or more, because of the creative approach and organic way the visual and musical fit together.

Edited by Lance
  • Like 1

Ah, but you are forgetting a all-too-common theme on DCP:

People are not happy unless they're unhappy/complaining :satisfied:

• Like 1

When you mention that someone's opinion annoys you, then that is in fact personal, and is about you. Saying that it isn't, doesn't change that. And don't make my opinion into something that it isn't. I'm not sitting here losing sleep at night because I don't like the Cadets show. I said as much when I posted my opinion in the first place. As I said, there are things I do like about the show, but I feel that the concept is overdone, and they aren't bringing anything new to it.

As for the topic, people don't mind repetitive things from Madison because Madison hasn't set a precedent for innovation the last 15 to 20 years. The Cadets, as well as several other corps have. I'm not a huge fan of Madison either. That doesn't mean I won't watch their show, or that I can't enjoy things about it. It's just not a show that I would choose to watch over some others. Not everything is black and white.

Actually, the most repetitive thing I've seen recently is your continuing posting of your opinion in this thread.

You don't like the theme and think that it's not only been done before but that Cadet's aren't taking an innovative approach to it....Got it. Do you REALLY think there's a need to post it AGAIN in this thread?

• Like 2

Love for the Cadets, people. That's all I'm trying to spread.

• Fact: this theme has been done before.
  • Fact: they are awesome.
  • Fact: it's okay to disagree with Hopkins and each other.... but let's be happy, huh? :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Actually, the most repetitive thing I've seen recently is your continuing posting of your opinion in this thread.

You don't like the theme and think that it's not only been done before but that Cadet's aren't taking an innovative approach to it....Got it. Do you REALLY think there's a need to post it AGAIN in this thread?

If you look at the early part of the thread, I was involved in a perfectly nice conversation about the Cadets show, and how people can't seem to separate their opinions about a show and their opinions about an organization before some people decided to tell me that I wasn't allowed to have an opinion. Last time I checked, conversation was allowed here. Forgive me if I'm inclined to defend myself when someone tells me that my opinion isn't valid, especially when I present it in a way that specifically mentions a complete respect for the organization and those who participate in it.