What Would You Get Rid Of?

Phantom Regiment... get rid of the Juliet acting in the beginning and end of the show, unless you are going to give me that storyline continuity throughout. Otherwise... we have juliet, she mostly disappears for 10 minutes, and then she's on a podium with a helmet...?

Given what we know about what happened to the real Juliet (commited suicide with a knife) and how we know the last championship turned out for Phantom with the drum major, I don't think Juliet should be making long term plans after the show.

But you are TOTALLY WRONG about the Juliets the opener. It is nothing short of a masterpiece setting the stage between theme, music and drill. The dual soloists start so simply, as does the singe Juliet in the middle of the field. Then it builds with the horn line expressing its love for Juliet through the incredible beautiful music, and for the last blast you have all the Juliets in the middle of the field with the horn line in full volume right behind them. It is THE HIGHLIGHT moment of DCI 2011. We will talk about this opener for years.

+++

And Phantom ends with Elsa. A classic, 30 years ago or now.

But the middle of the show...random atonal horn blasts with drumming that goes nowhere. Forget the traditional "new ending two weeks before finals" I say re-write the middle and take another championship back to Rockford. The beginning and the end are THAT good.

What say you, Granny, to my suggestions, and my analysis?

So exactly how do you know what hell is like ?

You're pretty brave asking that question to someone who obviously seems to know what he's talking about...:tic:

I'd also get rid of this thread because it's a bashfest.

Call me crazy, but it is actually striking me as positive. Maybe it's because so many of the criticisms are aimed at relatively unimportant nonfatal annoyances. If that's the worst we can say, it's all pretty good.

Or maybe it's because many of the criticisms seem aimed at improvement, allowing the poster to enjoy a mostly enjoyable show even more. The closer something gets to perfection (in whatever sense) the more glaringly identifiable the imperfections become. For example, the LOTR movies are my favorite of all time, and I could name dozens of little things about them I can't stand.

Or maybe it's just the pure honesty of it. People are direct and own their statements. I will take that any day over the epidemic of passive aggressive posts where people hide behind some falsely positive pretense in order to demean other individuals and organizations.

• Like 2

Okay, so you've all seen the shows this year and I'd like to know what specific elements you would get rid of. And, before someone complains about this thread being about "complaining" let's just say that it's super hot in the midwest and I'm cranky!

To get us started:

• I totally do not get the mosquito net in Boston's show. I've heard the explanation, but it is visually awkward and seems forced (much like when I was forced to write Haiku in my high school poetry class).
  • I'm trying really hard to understand the boxes in BD's show, but they too seemed contrived and unnecessary.

P.S. Yeah, yeah...we all know we'd get rid of electronics and amplification so let me just get that out of the way so some of you don't have to waste your energy pecking away at your keyboard.

Thought I would just embose your comment instead of the pecking.

What would I get rid of?

The notion that Crossmen is your feeder corps.

• Like 1

Phantom Regiment... get rid of the Juliet acting in the beginning and end of the show, unless you are going to give me that storyline continuity throughout. Otherwise... we have juliet, she mostly disappears for 10 minutes, and then she's on a podium with a helmet...?

DITTO

Call me crazy, but it is actually striking me as positive. Maybe it's because so many of the criticisms are aimed at relatively unimportant nonfatal annoyances. If that's the worst we can say, it's all pretty good.

Or maybe it's because many of the criticisms seem aimed at improvement, allowing the poster to enjoy a mostly enjoyable show even more. The closer something gets to perfection (in whatever sense) the more glaringly identifiable the imperfections become. For example, the LOTR movies are my favorite of all time, and I could name dozens of little things about them I can't stand.

Or maybe it's just the pure honesty of it. People are direct and own their statements. I will take that any day over the epidemic of passive aggressive posts where people hide behind some falsely positive pretense in order to demean other individuals and organizations.

Giving you a +1 just because your signature totally cracks me up!!!!

Get rid of corps w horn lines less than ten.(. Essentially very small corps) I saw one w 5 horns on FN Just don't see the point to even leave the house.

You know, I actually agree with this. Both times I saw the show I thought, "those are kind of cool, but all they are doing is walking on them." I wonder if they could do a high mark time?

giggle :satisfied: