Electronics Debate 2011

I don't think A&E as used in drum corps is going to impress any "kids". If anything the use of electronics in drum corps just compares incredibly poorly to the other "options" out there--concerts, home theater, movies, video games.

Now, fully acoustic, plain old LOUD drum corps, that's different. You can't compare it apples to apples with other entertainment options. It stands out as something different than the usual, and quality-wise in terms of acoustic music/performance art options, top quality drum corps is among the very very best quality products. But if we turn it into just another "option" that tries to be like other successful entertainment options, it's not going to stack up nearly as well.

didnt mean electronics is attrative to younger people now Just meant kids in general are sooooooooooooooo differnt from the 70s and 80s and their wants and needs I teach winter programs and a WC corps and they are far from the kids we were in the 70s/80s..its a very differnt world

I know this post is about a different musical medium, but there were electronic issues, so it fits.

Last night I went attempted to go to a local town band concert. However, I could not make it past the 2nd song because of amp & electronic issues. They had some very bad electronic issues. First off, French horns and trombones were overpowering the rest of the band. Second, percussion sounded cheap and tinny. These two issues were all caused by bad mic placement. Now my big problem is: Why were they miking themselves in the first place? I play in a different town band in a similar venue, yet we don't need mics, despite the fact that we are smaller. As I was heading to my car, I thought, hey, maybe it will sound better farther away. I was sorely mistaken. I happen to know the band director, and this was the first year he miked his band. I wanted to ask him if he got the idea from seeing DCI, but I could not, because I physically could not stand the lack of musicality the electronics were causing. If this was a bleed from DCI/BOA, I hope someone tells the director that it did not work.

/rant.

Last night I went attempted to go to a local town band concert. However, I could not make it past the 2nd song because of amp & electronic issues. They had some very bad electronic issues. First off, French horns and trombones were overpowering the rest of the band. Second, percussion sounded cheap and tinny. These two issues were all caused by bad mic placement. Now my big problem is: Why were they miking themselves in the first place?

That's very strange and sad. :sad: Thanks for sharing, though. Yeah I'm curious about when such efforts actually work out. I'm shocked a town band would even consider spending money in that way.

I have no problem with them, OTHER than the balance issues, which I am astonished continue to be so prevalent. My Blue Stars may be one of the biggest offenders of this, it was an issue last year, early season this year and seemed to have been addressed but the colossal sound from the speakers at San Antonio was simply offensive. I really hope they get that under control.

I know this post is about a different musical medium, but there were electronic issues, so it fits.

Last night I went attempted to go to a local town band concert. However, I could not make it past the 2nd song because of amp & electronic issues. They had some very bad electronic issues. First off, French horns and trombones were overpowering the rest of the band. Second, percussion sounded cheap and tinny. These two issues were all caused by bad mic placement. Now my big problem is: Why were they miking themselves in the first place? I play in a different town band in a similar venue, yet we don't need mics, despite the fact that we are smaller. As I was heading to my car, I thought, hey, maybe it will sound better farther away. I was sorely mistaken. I happen to know the band director, and this was the first year he miked his band. I wanted to ask him if he got the idea from seeing DCI, but I could not, because I physically could not stand the lack of musicality the electronics were causing. If this was a bleed from DCI/BOA, I hope someone tells the director that it did not work.

/rant.

Ok, that's kind of ridiculous. Was the concert outside or something? The instrumentation was that of a normal wind ensemble right?

Ok, that's kind of ridiculous. Was the concert outside or something? The instrumentation was that of a normal wind ensemble right?

The instrumentation was that of a normal wind ensemble, and yes it was an outside concert.

I have no problem with them, OTHER than the balance issues, which I am astonished continue to be so prevalent. My Blue Stars may be one of the biggest offenders of this, it was an issue last year, early season this year and seemed to have been addressed but the colossal sound from the speakers at San Antonio was simply offensive. I really hope they get that under control.

doesnt seem to be happening

So how do we, the paying fans, get them to pay attention and get it right?

Is this Cesario initiative part 2?

Ya know, I wish I knew. back in 2009, when DCI still had post-show critique, I asked that question of the music ensemble judge every single night. I was met with blank stares. In 2010, they changed the rules and made the post show into the occasional pre-show (and only certain staff members were allowed to attend (don't ask) because the whole thing got turned into a political game), so I never got to speak to a single judge about A&E at any point.

They only comments we got in 2010 regarding electronics were when the judge wanted more or less guitar, and it had nothing to do with system volume. It was obviously personal preference, and not reflective of any kind of training on what good balance was. Honestly, until A&E is codified in the actual sheets themselves and judges are trained, I don't see much change coming. How to make that happen? Beats me.

Just as an aside, if I was given free reign and a reasonable budget to build a system for a corps, it would look nothing like what most corps are using this season.

Ya know, I wish I knew. back in 2009, when DCI still had post-show critique, I asked that question of the music ensemble judge every single night. I was met with blank stares. In 2010, they changed the rules and made the post show into the occasional pre-show (and only certain staff members were allowed to attend (don't ask) because the whole thing got turned into a political game), so I never got to speak to a single judge about A&E at any point.

They only comments we got in 2010 regarding electronics were when the judge wanted more or less guitar, and it had nothing to do with system volume. It was obviously personal preference, and not reflective of any kind of training on what good balance was. Honestly, until A&E is codified in the actual sheets themselves and judges are trained, I don't see much change coming. How to make that happen? Beats me.

Just as an aside, if I was given free reign and a reasonable budget to build a system for a corps, it would look nothing like what most corps are using this season.

do tell