DCI East Prep

I've gone the past couple of years. First and foremost, GET THERE EARLY. Sometime in the five o'clock hour. Parking always fills up quick. A place to possibly aim for is near the floral shop on west hamilton street..it runs parallel with the stadium. I think parking there was 5 dollars, but it was very convenient, and we never had any problems.

And yes, definitely find food before hand. The lines are absolutely insane.

As for corps warming up, I'm a huge Phan..so both years I wanted to see them warm up. Phantom usually warms up a little ways down from everyone else, toward the west end of the creek on the hamilton side. SCV was sort of close to them too. But you can walk around anywhere in that creek and find all different corps warming up. It's really cool.

I always liked staying out by the creek until the big names showed up too. The bleachers in the stadium are not very comfortable, nor is there very much space at all..so watching all the corps wasn't really my top priority. The atmosphere outside the stadium is awesome, especially when the big names are there. I got to meet Koji Mori a couple of years ago outside of one of Phantom's buses, so i was on cloud nine.

I regret it, but I wasn't able to find the corps playing for each other after the show. I would check it out though if you feel like it.

All in all, it is an incredible drum corps experience. If I wasn't going to Indy this year, I'd definitely go to A-town. You'll love it.

Make sure to stretch out the legs a bit before entering the stadium. There's a small hill...

:spitting:

in spite of all the flaws we have all pointed out, Allentown will have an electric atmosphere. For many, it's their finals as they aren't going to Indy for whatever reasons. It's always a vocal and passionate crowd, and the show has a festival/block party atmosphere.

yeah it's not some huge NFL stadium with a roof and air conditioning and individual seats, but it's still a good time

• Like 1

Maeston, I misread your topic title, and accidentally merged it with the big Atlanta thread.

I've restored this thread, but forgot what your original name was for the thread. Let me or any of the mods know, and we'll fix it for you.

:derp:

Edited by Lance

Should be billed as "DCI Outdoor Championships"

Go early and watch every corps. Often the stands are near empty, but at this time of the season everyone is good and has something to offer. I can not tell you how many times I was pleasantly surprised and inspired by corps going on early.

Always a place to park, but you might have to walk a few blocks. Don't worry. I've been late and just parked in on the street on the other side of the park.

If you like to watch warm ups the park is great for that. Corps everywhere and plenty of grassy spots to watch from.

Food lines were over 45 minutes last year, eat before the show and smuggle in a PBJ. You can't even get close the the food at intermission, so if you want to wait in line plan on missing 2 corps to get a hot dog. I did hear that the guy that always runs things at the stadium wasn't there last year and they were a little lost, but I'm not risking it.

I love making the walk on the street in front of the stadium, lined with trucks and buses on both sides for blocks. Great way to sample the atmosphere and get a nice wiff of diesel fumes.

Lance - it was simply called "DCI East Prep." Thanks for the restore! :)

I've been to J. Birney Crum before (my freshman year ACC's Championship). Food was expensive then ($7 for a chicken strip basket?!), and I assumed correctly that it isn't much different now.

And slotting is done after Atlanta - they go in reverse order from the placements, so lowest to highest.

Thanks for all the information already, everyone!

The Allentown show is perhaps the best show other than Finals, at least in my opinion.

If you like nosebleed seats with a great look at the drill, this is your stadium.

If you like spending time in the lot (or in this case, the nice shady park) watching warmups, you won't find a better atmosphere anywhere.

Funnel Cakes

There will be a very vocal, very well-informed crowd at the show, going crazy for corps that are about as clean as they will ever be.

If Shoeless Joe Jackson were a former marching member instead of a baseball player, this is where his ghost would come

Me, I'd get there in the early part of the afternoon, go to the diner for a late lunch/early dinner, then kill some time watching corps warm up before the show starts. The earlier you get to the stadium, the more likely you will get a parking spot not too far away. The parking lot at the far end of the park near the volleball courts is full before 3pm due to the Crossmen and Field of View alumni picnics, so I wouldn't even try down there if you don't plan on going very early in the afternoon.

If the forcecast calls for rain, then bring rain gear! There's no shelter to speak of in the stadium, and the show will go on. I remember sitting in a downpour during the show in 1993. I think Cavies were on when the skies opened up. (someone please correct me if it was Madison, but I'm pretty sure it was Cavies) No one left the stands during the performance and we all got soaked. (except of course for the ones that had rain gear!)

Edited by kac