Scouts License problem

And if folks don't properly get rights, they should get in legal trouble. Why are folks losing respect for intellectual property? It is one of the ways the US became a world leader with patents and copyrights. If you toil for hours to produce a product you deserve to be compensated if others want to use it. You wouldn't dream of someone building and instrument but not wanting to be compensated. So why is the music different?

The Chinese are stealing company patented ideas left and right and putting US companies out of business. This has happened to some of the businesses within my company. They steal the technology blatantly and produce at low cost because they didn't have to do the development. This is the same issue with knock-off designer products. I hope the attorneys that sue are successful. Go about it the right way or stick to public domain!

Semi-off topic...the interesting thing about China is that not only do they not respect other countries' copyrights and trademarks, it's almost an anti-copyright environment there. My business has goods manufactured in China and imported, and while there are certainly a lot of factories churning out highly questionable crap, there are also factory owners in the new, (relatively) more open China that recognize to some degree the West's desire for a certain level of quality and seek to provide it. You just have to demand it and inspect to make sure corners aren't being cut in the process. With the exception of a couple of Conn-Selmer's student lines and Blessing, virtually every student model instrument in use today is either made or is produced with parts manufactured in China.

But if one factory starts having a lot of success selling a particular product while other factories struggle, they are actually required to reveal their trade secrets to the government which shares them with their struggling counterparts. That's the big downside of manufacturing successful products in China, you can forget about keeping any trade secrets or designs to yourself, and if there's anything that eventually leads companies here to divest from that, it will be long-term costs associated with the immediate production of so many generic versions of name-brand stuff.

As to the topic at hand and the idea of a law firm going hunting for suit targets, no big surprise there. That's one reason we've been so adamant about this place not having links to illegal videos, whether copies of DCI or DCA-produced products or fan-made videos, other sites that existed to share such links without actually producing the illegal copies have been shut down. This isn't the first time I've heard of a law firm going out searching for what seems like easy money trying to hunt down copyright violators.

I sent a suggestion to the Scouts when this problem first became public suggesting that IF permission could not be granted to sync the video with the audio they consider putting just the audio on the DVD during ESOM.

I for one would rather the screen go black (or a text explaining why there is no video), but the audio continue.

The Scouts did reply and said they would look into that option.

Might make an interesting poll. Would you rather have audio or video???

• Like 2

I can understand that. I think that it's just a matter of arrogance by some people to bring themselves to admit that there are others out there who can improve their original design.

I understand that point, but when you start granting performance rights to some little high school marching band, that completely demolishes your "masterpieces", it can be demoralizing to a composer. So I think that's probably why they cut it down on what can be played, just because they don't want the music they poured their heart and soul into to sound like ####. But yeah, it is a bit arrogant, because most other composers never seem to mind.

Just off the top of my head, isn't John Williams, Johan DeMeji, Carl Orff, and Bernstein pretty much off-limits now? i had heard some rumors about Bernstein and his family owning the rights now.

I sent a suggestion to the Scouts when this problem first became public suggesting that IF permission could not be granted to sync the video with the audio they consider putting just the audio on the DVD during ESOM.

I for one would rather the screen go black (or a text explaining why there is no video), but the audio continue.

I would much prefer the audio. The visual in the closer is really nothing too special, but the music is really great! :thumbup:

This is a great point. Glad Scouts will consider it. I think it's a no brainer to keep the audio, and ditch the video. If I were watching the DVD and a part with no audio comes up, I am skipping to the next corp. But if the music is still there, I can see myself shutting my eyes and soaking it in.

But then, I was a brass player....

And if folks don't properly get rights, they should get in legal trouble. Why are folks losing respect for intellectual property? It is one of the ways the US became a world leader with patents and copyrights. If you toil for hours to produce a product you deserve to be compensated if others want to use it. You wouldn't dream of someone building and instrument but not wanting to be compensated. So why is the music different?

The Chinese are stealing company patented ideas left and right and putting US companies out of business. This has happened to some of the businesses within my company. They steal the technology blatantly and produce at low cost because they didn't have to do the development. This is the same issue with knock-off designer products. I hope the attorneys that sue are successful. Go about it the right way or stick to public domain!

I think the reason this tastes bad to me is who the target is. Really, a law firm is going to target high school marching bands for lawsuits? I totally agree that rights holders should be compensated, and the schools are obligated to go through the process to scure the rights. But the idea of a law firm targeting public schools to make a buck in a lawsuit seems distasteful. IMHO, it's more distasteful than the shcool not securing the rights to begin with.

The complete disregard for intellectual propery in the commercial space is totally different to me. If the intent is to gain competitive advantage from stolen patents, or profits from pirated software/films/music, then the full force of the law should come down on these folks.

• Like 1

This is true. It's not up to the Madison Scouts to clear their sync rights UNLESS they are selling their own CD of their music.

DCI is making all of the profits off of the BRD/DVD/CD/FN sales and are the ones producing the product, therefore they should be the ones to secure the sync rights.

However dont most teams release there own "through the years" type CD's and DVDs? I am not sure if the scouts do this or not. But im just going to say its safe to say, that at somepoint, the Scouts themselves, will want to sell this show, be it CD or DVD, in the future. Something to think about...

I can understand that. I think that it's just a matter of arrogance by some people to bring themselves to admit that there are others out there who can improve their original design.

How about knowing that there are others who can royally screw up (not the term I thinking of) the original design..... Or the owner just not "into" MB or DC so the idea of those groups doing their music leaves them "less than thrilled".

Getting so shows need to be started years ahead of time just to get the licensing taken care of.....

Edited by JimF-LowBari

I understand and kind of agree that, given the choice of only the audio or only the video, I'd rather have the audio

-BUT-

The audio portion of the show will survive in the CD release, so it might be better to let the visual portion survive on the DVD and thus preserve the entire show....

Sucks either way

I would much prefer the audio. The visual in the closer is really nothing too special, but the music is really great! :thumbup:

I think this doesn't matter, because the music is still "synched" to a video signal, even though that video signal is just a black screen.