An odd observation about DCA...

1st shouldnt this long conversation be in the DCA section of DCP not here...many DCI people may not care ..there would probably be more in put from people interested and experienced in the DCA arena.OK with that said..lol....I think in some cases some cant keep up BUT I think its more about younger THINKING..from show design, teaching,philosophies . Keeping up with that is harder for some than being able to run a drill spot

Talk to the OP about that. I was just giving my 2 cents based off of the last few posts I read.

Talk to the OP about that. I was just giving my 2 cents based off of the last few posts I read.

Oh wasnt blaming you or anyone , its just the total direction it took it could be better debated on DCA forum...............hmmmmm maybe not ( rationally ..lol )

Edited by GUARDLING

But look at the shrinkage of competitive DCA corps in the Northeast, which to me can be a huge problem for DCA overall if it continues. Let's hope the newer corps from the area can 'make it', such as Fusion and Windsor Regiment. If you go back 20 years, only 6 of the 17 DCA corps that were at prelims still exist.

Your count is doubly wrong. There were 16 corps at the 1992 DCA Championship, and seven of them are still competing.

Your count is doubly wrong. There were 16 corps at the 1992 DCA Championship, and seven of them are still competing.

which is alot gone...many think its because of mini corps and alumni corps...this was a big concern of directors back in the 90s when many were formed...Oh well

Since the 2012 champs have not happened, I used 1991-2011 as a 20 year comparison. However, I did miss one...it is 7 of 17.

Since the 2012 champs have not happened, I used 1991-2011 as a 20 year comparison. However, I did miss one...it is 7 of 17.

luckily the outer regions have grown as well as some recent growth up here

In comparison, at quick glance, it appears 67 corps were at the 92 DCI championships (in various divisions) and 22 are still competing. In short, based off the "92" figures being tossed out; +44% are still with us within the DCA ranks, and +32% are still with us within the DCI ranks.

Edited by bill
  • Like 1

Someone help me out here...

Are we saying DCA is in good/bad shape? While we're at it, DCA is in better/worse shape than DCI?

I'm genuinely unsure where this discussion is aiming.

HH

DCA is in good shape. It's not so Northeast centric, and the growth around the country in the last ten years has been amazing. With the economy as it is, it has stalled a little the last few years, but is not moving backwards.

DCI has shown a little bit of recent growth, but the drop in the number of active corps is still significant since 2000

Nowhere. Like all these threads.

Maybe we should do a study of how many people still post here compared to years past...

I feel the pain.

Sad truth is I've more than once lately thought I might just quit DCP (not DCI). Same old stuff. Too many twits. You know, the usual complaints I've had for nearly a DCP decade (a lot like the complaints at RAMD, AOL, Compuserve and Prodigy before DCP).

The irony is these discussions were a lot more fun when we were fighting about amps, mics and whatever the Cadets were doing that summer. The double irony is DCI had one of its best summers in recent memory, and it's boring around here. Are we that lame?

HH

• Like 3