Aug. 6 DCA Scores/Comments Thread

Hey guys in case you didnt know... fusion is the only corps with a poor show design... :doh:

Hey, he asked. And it's true. Feel free to rebut if you want to.

Sorry, that response came across as pretty snide. Just a feeble attempt at humor.

I actually agree with most of your sentiments after watching a video from the site not-to-be-named some time ago. The staff created a good enough framework for a Class A championship show, and the corps certainly has the horses to perform it. But the aesthetics behind it are just ... well, silly.

I think they still have it in them to win it all, though. A lot can change in several weeks.

I think they still have it in them to win it all, though. A lot can change in several weeks.

I said this after Wildwood and I think it still applies. Fusion should probably take out a few of the really stupid things, or at least try and make them more truly African. Then clean the living crap out of it and go for absolute perfect execution of what they have. If they can do that, they have a shot.

The only way to beat Carolina Gold's much tougher, much more cohesive program is to be way, way more clean. Can Fusion do that? With the technical staff and members they have, yes, but it won't be easy.

Edited by Kamarag
  • Like 2

Call me a negative Nancy if you want- but I just can't see how the Hurricanes horn line beat Cabs on Saturday. Hurcs have an excellent guard program this year and their percussion section is also performing at an above average level so I can see and understand that placement.... but Horns. No way.

I will chalk this one up to another reason why the Brass judge needs to be in the box instead of on the field. Ultimately, the brass trophy this year will go to the corps with the best individual players instead of the most cohesive, balanced, and technically proficient horn line. And from almost any standpoint- the Cabs horn line should be placing higher this year. Not saying they are the best, and I'm not saying they should be over Empire, MBI, or Bucs, but.... well I think you get what I'm saying by now.

Overall, Cabs have a competitive hornline and a visual program that is getting clean, FAST. If they can continue to get their percussion scores up, I think we could see them jump a placement by September.

Fusion is also having a great year! Very entertained by their show. I see them at the top of Class A for sure. They might even make Top 7 overall.

I think you might be surprised how much you can hear from listening on the field. Yes, you can hide more form a distance, and I see your point, but when you hear what is going on up close and personal, you really find out who is performing their book well.

I think you might be surprised how much you can hear from listening on the field. Yes, you can hide more form a distance, and I see your point, but when you hear what is going on up close and personal, you really find out who is performing their book well.

I don't think anyone is opposed to having a brass judge on the field. We're opposed to having the only one on the field. The caption is supposed to determine the best brass line, not the collection of players who play their parts best.

If DCA insists on having only one brass judge, he needs to be upstairs.

• Like 2

I don't think anyone is opposed to having a brass judge on the field. We're opposed to having the only one on the field. The caption is supposed to determine the best brass line, not the collection of players who play their parts best.

If DCA insists on having only one brass judge, he needs to

be upstairs.

YES!!! That is exactly what I'm saying. Yes it's great to sample how well individuals are performing on a technical level. But if the sample is of two woodwind players in their first year on a Baritone instead of the 10 professional trumpet players 3 yard lines over, how does that justify the corps overall brass score.

Point being- from 1 corps to the next, the field is not level. The judging is inconsistent.

• Like 2

Please ... tell us how you really feel.

he did hold back

:tongue:

Hey guys in case you didnt know... fusion is the only corps with a poor show design... :doh:

You can check my concerns with Bush on the Bucknell Review as well.....

As for the coments on Hurcs vs. Cabs horns- I haven't seen Cabs yet-- but are the Cabs still at @42 horns? that would put them at about the Hurcs @38-40. The answer may not be as slam-bang clear cut as one thinks.

And yes- if you only have one brass judge, especially with the impetus DCA is putting on entertainment and engagement in every caption. One would logically conclude the answer is to put the Brass person in the box or immediately beneath or on top of it.

• Like 2

YES!!! That is exactly what I'm saying. Yes it's great to sample how well individuals are performing on a technical level. But if the sample is of two woodwind players in their first year on a Baritone instead of the 10 professional trumpet players 3 yard lines over, how does that justify the corps overall brass score.

Point being- from 1 corps to the next, the field is not level. The judging is inconsistent.

I hear what your saying. I really love to hear a good lead line. What really bugs me is when the leads have to tone it down because the rest of the corps can't play up to their level. They wind up having to play down not to over power them or stand out of the ensemble.

Suck it up beaches and play!