Aug. 6 DCA Scores/Comments Thread

I think we're starting to see more percussion focused judges branching out into music ensemble. I've seen it not only at the drum corps level but at the high school level as well (in several circuits). In my opinion, it's a really good thing. In all honesty, you don't have to be a nuts-and-bolts brass guy (or conversely, percussion guy) to judge music ensemble well, as it's really not a nuts-and-bolts caption.

Plus you'll never hear those cross trained guys complain that your DRUMS are to loud.

Oh yes you will. If anything, those cats are even MORE adamant about percussion balance.

Drums are always too loud

• Like 1

A person judging music ensemble should have the ability to evaluate how the percussion and brass book is working together to create a singular musical idea, taking into account both technical/construction and performance. My understanding is that entertainment is on the sheet as well, at least I think it is. If I'm wrong, I've been misinformed.

To me, a good ensemble judge has to have the ability to take apart both brass and perc at the performance level to help understand and award the good , as well as single out things that might not be working and have a technical response for the constructive criticism they are giving. If a person is solely a brass or perc guy, you know what will happen; they will probably lean towards what they are familiar with. Sure, anyone can say "that's out of tune" or "you snares didn't play that together", but only a person with experience at constructing them both can get to the nitty gritty and give detailed information. Just my opinion, but the performers deserve that. Also if just saying obvious things like that is acceptable, hell anyone that has half an ear and a little bit of experience could effectively judge the sheet. I doubt thats what the powers that be at DCA want.

I guess the best ensemble guy is someone who has solid experience teaching both perc and brass, probably band director/conductor types? A person who only expertise is only limited to one family of instruments probably wouldn't do as good a job at it.

So to answer the previous thread, I have no idea whether Thurston applies or not. However, if he doesn't have the ability to effectively rehearse a brass line or understand and evaluate the technical components of it and be able to translate them in his commentary, then he wouldn't be qualified. I have no idea one way or the other if he is or not, just saying.

actually, you dont need to be a brassologist to do ensemble well. if you have the right training, whatever your background instrument, you can do the job. Given the experience level of many of the drumguys on the DCAroster, they are quite qualified to run ensemble, and IMO, some far more than some brass people out there.

• Like 2

Drums are always too loud

like screamers that think they are cool hanging over every release

• Like 4

like screamers that think they are cool hanging over every release

Thats because they are:)

Says the brass guy, lol

• Like 2

uh huh. i know horn players thatmake fun of them

• Like 1

uh huh. i know horn players thatmake fun of them

Probably because they can't :)

No, because they know there is no "I" in team. Anyone who does it intentionally over and over only cares for themselves and not the corps.

• Like 1