How many think Cadets 2 will be the death of other corps

How many out there think Cadets 2 will be the death of other corps ? The All - Age corps are having trouble now filling the ranks Reading .Bushwackers ,Hawthorne ,Fusion ,all i would think would be going agaisnt Cadets 2 for members .Be interesting to see the affect they have for membership next season .I sure think its a mistake for DCA to be opening the door to them with age restrictions .Not that Reading has had a problem filling thier ranks , but there the closest corps to Allentown .How many currently Staff members with Readings are Cadet people or ties to Cadets .

Edited by Florida Sun
  • Like 1

How many out there think Cadets 2 will be the death of other corps ? The All - Age corps are having trouble now filling the ranks Reading .Bushwackers ,Hawthorne ,Fusion ,all i would think would be going agaisnt Cadets 2 for members .Be interesting to see the affect they have for memmbership next season .I sure think its a mistake for DCA to be opening the door to them with age restrictions .Not that Reading has had a problem filling thier ranks , but there the closest corps to Allentown .How many currently Staff memmbers with Readings are Cadet people or ties to Cadets .

What I think will happen and what will l happen is arguable and subject to great debate and discussion.

I don't think the loyal followers of the corps u mentioned will jump ship immediately. I think over time it will hurt the numbers in these corps.

I think what it will do is up the drill demand and drive the circuit even younger weeding out a lot of remaining seniors. Seems to be the way the circuit wants it so I guess this is a good thing for the youth out there.

It will change the face of the top 5. No doubt in my mind about that. only room for 5 and one of them has to go. it will also make it that much harder for those currently in the 5th place wannabe corps to break into the top echelon. so my thoughts are the race for 6th will get a lot tighter.

Edited by camel lips
  • Like 1

Cadets2 will have an affect on corps in that area for a few years. However, when they age out of either Cadet corps, they'll be going to the established DCA corps. They will be extremely well trained and experienced. There isn't that big a difference physically between a 21 year old and someone say 23. I don't think the age limit is practical in DCA in the long haul. Other than as a training ground for the Cadets.

Edited by Santana
  • Like 4

Just wanted to make a small point. DCA has no age restrictions. Individual corps, however, are free to do as they please with regard to membership requirements, age just being one. We have had corps in the past that have set bottom age limits (e.g. no one under 18 or no one under 21). We will accept drum corps of all ages.

Glen

• Like 3

I say wait and see if and when they come out, they may not affect anything

• Like 1

Personally, I would feel better about it if they were starting a DCA corps with age restrictions only at the lowest age so they would be inline with existent DCA corps. I would also prefer if Mr. Hopkins would clearly state it is not his intention to undermine DCA's instrumentation (eg synths, guitars, etc).

• Like 1

Personally, I would feel better about it if they were starting a DCA corps with age restrictions only at the lowest age so they would be inline with existent DCA corps. I would also prefer if Mr. Hopkins would clearly state it is not his intention to undermine DCA's instrumentation (eg synths, guitars, etc).

Electronics has been on the mind of DCA for several years now. I feel certain this whole marketing of DCA to the youth will bring electronics even faster with Hopkins at the table. I'd say look at amps as soon as 2014. It's coming.

Edited by camel lips

After being at Kingston and playing in the rain... then coming home to Erie where corps refused to play in the rain due to the electronics... think it will be very interesting!

• Like 1

After being at Kingston and playing in the rain... then coming home to Erie where corps refused to play in the rain due to the electronics... think it will be very interesting!

I seriously doubt any corps refused to play because of electronics. It was far more likely a result of field conditions. The turf field in Erie gets really slick when it's wet.

As I posted in another thread, most commercial sound support gear is designed to be used in wet weather conditions, and that includes instruments. The hazard lies when you have cables (power or instrument) running through standing water.

• Like 2

-I see it a couple ways.

1. 16-22's coming to participate/ audition in Cadets1 "Experience Camps", and early season December and January might be given the option to participate in Cadets 2. Also If it's deemed in auditions they cannot make Cadets 1, they may have an immediate hole to fill in Cadets2. If I read numbers correctly, Cadets get around 300 kids to come out to these early season camps? So imagine....300 kids to recruit to Cadets2...Wow. How many of us would love to have an Open House that 300 showed up to?

2. I think Boccok does the hornbook for Reading? Also, Cipriani, and Saktig assist on staff or work with Reading? Will they continue to work with Reading if they decide to caption or staff Cadets2?

3. how many 16-22's do Reading, Hawthorne, Windsor, Fusion, Cabs, Bush, and Hurcs have right now...that are there to gain experience with these corps, to march World Class corps when they turn 17 or 18? If the opportunity to fill a hole became apparent in Cadets 2, would they view it as their opportunity to gain that experience for that dream corps?

3A. I see Jersey Surf looking at this issue more than anyone else.

3B. Making a comparison to 3: In Atlanta, Will Alliance and Corpsvets experience membership drops with Spirit back in town?

4. II think with the age group, Cadets2 may find it productive to be practicing more than just Saturdays and Sundays during the summer. To a kid who may want a corps experience, and be everyday with his friends, but without the tour and gyms, this is attractive.

Edited by Dmlkmen