How many think Cadets 2 will be the death of other corps

Maybe it was 21 for Renegades & 18 for CV. But I do recall there was one in place. So, a door for a corps imposing their own choice of age restrictions has been open for a while now. No one was up in arms over those but the sheer mention of one from a person whose name is synonymous with "change" and suddenly it is a big deal.

For all the inclusiveness we speak of in DCA, I find it odd that someone could propose creating a new corps, at a time when we have lost so many, yet some people want to rewrite the rules to prevent said new corps from fielding. It comes across as fear, at best, and paranoia at worst.

Point well taken Liz. They found a clause, an "unfair advantage" perhaps in some people's eyes. Hey, they're playing by the rules as currently constituted.

Changing the rules would be up to the DCA members. Knowing enough of the people who move and shake those corps, I can't see them 'afraid' of anyone.The second you have a crisis in confidence at that level about your ability to manage and make your corps happen, it's time to walk away from the activity, take a deep breath for a couple of years, and go in vacation.

They might encourage change to push the age limit higher privately to said corps, and that brings up a point as well--

I just have a hunch that Cadets 2 would be a more expensive organization to be a part of as compared to most of the other DCA corps. Who has the money to afford that? Older people with jobs. The people they don't want and would be hoping to likely get to help pay for the kids that can march like Mom and Dad. I think it would be a lot harder to sell donating for someones season in DCA as opposed to DCI. Maybe they figure those kids can get a job to pay for the season. In high unemployment. When I marched it was like that. Places that hire won't be interested in anyone who can't work weekends in this environment. If they have evening rehearsals during the week- UPS won't want them.

My guess is that YEA! (and I would certainly be doing this if I were them!) has studied the price points of the Bucs, Fusion, Bush, and the Cabs, and sat down and figured out how much per member they'd need to charge for what they plan to do, and they're sure not gonna run C2 at a loss, let me tell you!!!! and see if it's in the ballpark.

On that tangent- you know, the proximity of Reading to harrisburg really never had any effect on Westshore and Bucs BITD. Both found people who liked being with both organizations and stayed and kept at it.

For certain, the Bucs had absolutely nothing to do with killing off Westshore. it was the internal issues that did it in, not some other organization "stealing" people....

Exactly my thoughts while reading through some of this! There were people of different philosophies that had a quick drive to where Westshore practiced, yet marched Reading, and vice versa BITD! Toss in the Chocolatiers for a few years (low impact marching/commitment, same party atmosphere) and you had THREE corps in a 100 mile radius competing for members....Cadets II won't be a major factor in membership...

I seem to remember when people first heard about Renegades, and CorpsVets that there would be a coup in terms of talent level and dominance in the DCA ranks...never saw that happen, and going back as far as when the Bushwackers first trotted on the scene...people figured it would be two seasons, and they'd be the 1977-78 Bridgemen all over again! And it took a wile for them to hit their stride.

A little competition is GOOD for the activity! I'm actually surprised that more junior corps haven't gone this route.

A little competition is GOOD for the activity! I'm actually surprised that more junior corps haven't gone this route.

AMEN, bro.

You look at DCA Class A now and see what that competitive crucible has done and how GOOD the top corps are there, and it bears out that statement.

They found a clause, an "unfair advantage" perhaps in some people's eyes. Hey, they're playing by the rules as currently constituted.

Exactly, and it's not "unfair" because any corps could do it, they just don't want to.

And let's be honest, even if DCA were to pass a rule that stated membership couldn't be capped due to age, it would be unenforceable. It would be pretty easy to ensure only under 22 people got spots, and there's not a darned thing anyone could do about it. Since setting spots in a drum corps is essentially casting roles in a production, you don't even have to justify a reason to make a cut. There isn't even a legal leg to stand on should someone try and sue.

The people that don't like what C2 plan to do are the same folks that complain incessantly about Bucs winning. If you don't like C2's plan, maybe your corps should step up and beat 'em.

• Like 1

Exactly, and it's not "unfair" because any corps could do it, they just don't want to.

And let's be honest, even if DCA were to pass a rule that stated membership couldn't be capped due to age, it would be unenforceable. It would be pretty easy to ensure only under 22 people got spots, and there's not a darned thing anyone could do about it. Since setting spots in a drum corps is essentially casting roles in a production, you don't even have to justify a reason to make a cut. There isn't even a legal leg to stand on should someone try and sue.

The people that don't like what C2 plan to do are the same folks that complain incessantly about Bucs winning. If you don't like C2's plan, maybe your corps should step up and beat 'em.

Correct and well spoken, John. Even though I'd imagine most DCA units cut rate is still fairly low- there are no rules saying you can't cut anyone. Sometimes- some people just aren't working out and they don't realize it.

In my 6 seasons at Westshore, there was only one incident in the horn line where anyone was cut. People cut themselves, usually due to realizing they couldn't make the commitment required.

How many out there think Cadets 2 will be the death of other corps ? The All - Age corps are having trouble now filling the ranks Reading .Bushwackers ,Hawthorne ,Fusion ,all i would think would be going agaisnt Cadets 2 for members .Be interesting to see the affect they have for memmbership next season .I sure think its a mistake for DCA to be opening the door to them with age restrictions .Not that Reading has had a problem filling thier ranks , but there the closest corps to Allentown .How many currently Staff memmbers with Readings are Cadet people or ties to Cadets .

The more the merrier.Bring em on.

But I have one or two or 3 or 4 ????.Didn't YEA have some corps under their umbrella that they had to turn loose due to financal problems?

And what is the cause for Cadets moving all the times it did,and changing the name of the corps? Will the Cadets be able to afford C2? If C2 is to be on it's own will they not be competeing for the same money as the Cadets?These questions may have already been asked and answered but I am to lazy to go back and read.

Edited by JCSeymour

All discussions of finances and membership aside, I have a rather different question.

Both in this thread and in an earlier one, a number of folks have pretty much ceded Cadets - Part Deux a spot in the top five. What would be the basis for granting a (so far non-existent) corps this lofty status?

Just asking....

All discussions of finances and membership aside, I have a rather different question.

Both in this thread and in an earlier one, a number of folks have pretty much ceded Cadets - Part Deux a spot in the top five. What would be the basis for granting a (so far non-existent) corps this lofty status?

Just asking....

Staff and recruiting base.

I would venture to guess a larger budget too will benefit them.

They will recruit many of the cuts from Cadets and many of them are probably better than the average recruiting base that other corps don't neccecarly have or draw.

Also if they cap the age they will be able to do some crazy fast drill without having the age outs slowing them down.

Edited by camel lips

Exactly my thoughts while reading through some of this! There were people of different philosophies that had a quick drive to where Westshore practiced, yet marched Reading, and vice versa BITD! Toss in the Chocolatiers for a few years (low impact marching/commitment, same party atmosphere) and you had THREE corps in a 100 mile radius competing for members....Cadets II won't be a major factor in membership...

And for a while there was also corps in Hanover and Baltimore at the same time.

I'm with Andy about the top 5 or top 10 before it's even created. Especially if this is to be seen as a feeder to Cadets. Probably keep some people for a few years but that average experience level (IOW # of years doing corps) will stay low.