The OFFICIAL 2012 Prediction Thread

You know... I wouldreally like another corps to completely WOW me with their horns this year. Crown has been the only corps the past couple of years where I literally said WOW. Madison is the closest. They wowed me at the beginning of their show, and performed the hell out of the book. But the end of the show they often let emotions overtake good brass playing. (I appreciate the emotion, but it still has to be controlled). Phantom is always one of my favorites, but they have had some weak trumpet sections... or trumpets (the actual horn).

But I would really like another hornline to step up. Who will it be? I could SCV as a contender. Bluecoats? Other corps lower down, and not previously mentioned are BK, Spirit (they came close to the WOW last year), Academy and I could see Crossmen in the second year with their staff really making a statement.

Every corps has a part of their show where the horns sound great and top notch, but the only corps to consistently sound great the entire show recently is Crown. And I honestly have to say BD deserves some love to. But they don't have that sound I'm looking for, but I don't want them to change it either.

Anyway, I guess those are my brass predictions. I'd love to see more horn lines stepping up to the plate.

not being a BD lover ( not because of shows they choose ). I think it was 5 seconds into their show this year that I was blown away with the sound..so full ..so rich....for me the best.

• Like 1

I'm not going to make a full prediction sheet because, well, I just don't care enough. But I will say this.

Doubt the following corps at your peril:

Santa Clara Vanguard

Boston Crusaders

Madison Scouts

Glassmen

Agreed :devil:

• Like 4

You know... I wouldreally like another corps to completely WOW me with their horns this year. Crown has been the only corps the past couple of years where I literally said WOW. Madison is the closest. They wowed me at the beginning of their show, and performed the hell out of the book. But the end of the show they often let emotions overtake good brass playing. (I appreciate the emotion, but it still has to be controlled). Phantom is always one of my favorites, but they have had some weak trumpet sections... or trumpets (the actual horn).

But I would really like another hornline to step up. Who will it be? I could SCV as a contender. Bluecoats? Other corps lower down, and not previously mentioned are BK, Spirit (they came close to the WOW last year), Academy and I could see Crossmen in the second year with their staff really making a statement.

Every corps has a part of their show where the horns sound great and top notch, but the only corps to consistently sound great the entire show recently is Crown. And I honestly have to say BD deserves some love to. But they don't have that sound I'm looking for, but I don't want them to change it either.

Anyway, I guess those are my brass predictions. I'd love to see more horn lines stepping up to the plate.

The Acadamy. There horns always wow me. they are way underscored.

• Like 2

My official prediction is that 2012 will be Crown's year, though I'd love to see my favorite Boston Crusaders move up the ladder, however, I'm not commenting to state my predictions again.

I'm not sure why I am not seeing a great deal of love for two beloved corps: Madison and Phantom. Now Madison has one of the most interesting histories in DCI. Over the years they have placed in every spot from first to twelfth. They can be in the top five one year and near the bottom of the top twelve the next, but they bounce back again to the top of the pack the next year. Somehow they usually manage to make finals. Audiences love them, and with good reason. To some they can be schmaltzy, and I love schmaltz, they may rely on volume gimmicks, but that's drum corps. That sound is incredible and since they place so often, judges love them too. Last year they did rely on their horn line a little too much to make up for some deficiencies, as they have done other years too, but if the percussion steps up a bit and the color guard has the athleticism and artistry as in the past, they'll do great.

Now as far as Phantom is concerned, they have great potential, if they stick with Puccini's "Turnadot." I've long thought drum corps does not delve into opera enough (there is more to opera than just "Carmen") and Phantom does opera better than anyone else. "Turnadot" may be one of the best operas to adapt to drum corps and Puccini's music is not only difficult to perform, it has an emotional pull like no other composer. Now the reason I stress Puccini because there is another version of the opera by Ferruccio Busoni that isn't as melodic as that of Puccini. Will Phantom mix the two? It could go either way. When they did Wagner's "Ring" they stuck to Wagner, but "Faust" was a different story. I was hoping I was going to hear some Gounod, Berlioz, and maybe even some Boito. Not the case. Technically the show was phenomenal, and musically it was challenging, and while I appreciated it, I was a bit disappointed it didn't use music from the operas, but I'm an opera buff so I may be biased.

In conclusion: Madison may thrill us once again and if done well, Phantom could have another "Spartacus."

Edited by Tim K
  • Like 2

Crown will play the same chords as last year.. which are the same ones as the year before...and the year before..

but those chords will cause high schoolers to wet themselves.

BD will have the best feet do to the extension of their skirt to a dress that is all 360 degrees around their feet.

some people will bloo the bluecoats

some people will boo the bluecoats

some people will ask why people are booing the bluecoats.

Cavaliers will be all guys, very crowd friendly, but no one will really get their show.

Cadets feet will be better than last year. Because dirtier is impossible.

But this year, the show writing won't make up for it.

• Like 7

Crown will play the same chords as last year.. which are the same ones as the year before...and the year before..

Out of curiosity, when's the last time you heard a corps play anything in B or E major?

Out of curiosity, when's the last time you heard a corps play anything in B or E major?

Never. But, those would be ridiculously hard to tune. I think he's just talking about the last Bb chord they usually play for around a minute.

Thank you! I'm glad someone else saw that.

• Like 1

Oh this is a novel argument! You're right! All Crown plays is B-flat major chords, right?

Oh, wait, wrong.

What about the A minor chord hit in the opener in 2009? Or the E-flat major suspension chord in the 2009 closer? Or F minor v chord in the Khachaturian opener in 2010? Or, the B-flat mm 7 chords in the Mahler, or the F mm 7 chords as well in the Mahler? Or what about the e-flat major hit in 2011? OR the A open-fifth chord in paint it black in 2011? Or the D minor chord that ends paint it black? Ah, you MUST be talking about the D-flat major hit in Clair de Lune in 2008!

Oh, thats right! Crown isn't the only drum corps that plays B-flat major chords. How about actually knowing what chords corps play instead of assuming that because Crown often ends on B-flat major (which almost ALL drum corps do, frequently), that those are the only chords they play.

• Like 6

Oh this is a novel argument! You're right! All Crown plays is B-flat major chords, right?

Oh, wait, wrong.

What about the A minor chord hit in the opener in 2009? Or the E-flat major suspension chord in the 2009 closer? Or F minor v chord in the Khachaturian opener in 2010? Or, the B-flat mm 7 chords in the Mahler, or the F mm 7 chords as well in the Mahler? Or what about the e-flat major hit in 2011? OR the A open-fifth chord in paint it black in 2011? Or the D minor chord that ends paint it black? Ah, you MUST be talking about the D-flat major hit in Clair de Lune in 2008!

Oh, thats right! Crown isn't the only drum corps that plays B-flat major chords. How about actually knowing what chords corps play instead of assuming that because Crown often ends on B-flat major (which almost ALL drum corps do, frequently), that those are the only chords they play.

You just went WAY over that dude's head.

• Like 1

BD will have the best feet do to the extension of their skirt to a dress that is all 360 degrees around their feet.

some people will bloo the bluecoats

some people will boo the bluecoats

some people will ask why people are booing the bluecoats.

Cavaliers will be all guys, very crowd friendly, but no one will really get their show.

While I agree with most of this post. Crown does NOT play the same chords. They just sound amazing playing all of them.

And Cadets did get a gift last year. Their book did make up for the dirt.

• Like 3