The OFFICIAL 2012 Prediction Thread

Bob Higgins is definitely not there anymore. In fact, I think both tuba techs from my days (09-10) are at SCV.

But now to what this thread is about. I'll do top 25. For the top 7, I'll just do groupings.

1-4

Blue Devils-One word, CONSISTANCY!. Though I haven't loved the shows between 05-10, they are always performing at the top of their game. They know how to play the game and the last time they didn't come out with some bling was definitely a blink. Wouldn't be surprised to see them 5 peat the guard trophy.

Crown-Though they have had some big changes, the sound and teaching techniques of the hornline is going to always be there. Would definitely love to see them do a dark show from top to bottom. 09 was close if it wasn't for the happy ballad and closer.

Bluecoats-There's a fire that started when the brass staff took off. A large vet return, the show is awesome (sorry, won't reveal it), and I know that the drill improvement will definitely help. Doug will have a great book for them, battery will be top notch, and the guard will be back to 2010 quality.

SCV-With Paul solidified there the battery will live up to it's hype from the previous season. That brass staff they have can do amazing things and I'm sure will get them back up to par.

5-7

Cavaliers-After noting that Academy's issues of not making finals being visually oriented, I feel Cavaliers might slip this season. Won't say that they'll be bad but everyone else will be better.

Cadets-A notable trend with these guys for almost a decade now is medal, not medal so I think this will happen again. Pretty sure no one saw them falling to 5th after 2005 but it happened.

Phantom-I don't see them dropping out of the top 7 but I feel their drill design will hold them back if they get high school level drill again.

8. Madison- They will get their break and will start making their way back towards the top half of the finalists. Really enjoyed their show last season.

9. Blue Stars-Will make an attempt to get back into the dog fight they were in with the top 7 in 2010.

10. BK-They will stay on the entertainment track but won't be enough to move up against Madison and Blue Stars.

11. BAC-I know they won't drop from finals so I'm putting them here. Now that I think about it, I just want the placements to be like this but I have a feeling this "Titans" show will prove me wrong.

12. Academy-Their new brass caption head and percussion caption head will do wonders for this group and get them into their first finalist finish. Been waiting to see them Saturday night for a while. This will be close and will come to the music and GE scores.

13. Spirit-Still awesome, still intense and still Saturday night quality. But only 12 corps perform Saturday.

14. Troopers-I don't see them rising or dropping. Love this corps though.

15. Crossmen-Seems about time for them to move up.

16. Glassmen-Again, wishing luck to some corps a bit more than others.

17. PC-They have to get moving if they want to make their 20 year anniversary as epic as their 10 year (03 was their first time in div. 1 and they made semis).

18. Colts- I see them as a vulnerable after last season.

19. OC-Dat brass man. Dat corps has a sweet brass.

20. Cascades-been hearing great things from my friends teaching there.

21. BDB-great gourp and definitely a force to be reckoned with.

22. Jersey Surf-This should be a fun show for everyone. Should help boost placement.

23. Mandarins-they'll be there friday night.

24. Teal-The staff changes might make things a bit shaky their first year. Hope this doesn't happen because I have liked this corps shows the past couple of years.

25. Pioneer-They'll get into semis this year. I can feel it in my bones. Or it's just an early onset of arthritis...

hmm...this would be Boston's lowest placement in 13 years (1998)....this would also be a surprise....

Glassmens lowest since 91

He had Boston in 11th and Glassmen in 16th. Not all that unfathomable. Boston actually spent most of last year in 11th (see Regional results). Glassmen? I hate to wish a corps ill but last year's drop could signify the end of their hay day? At least for a while? :huh:

• Like 1

He had Boston in 11th and Glassmen in 16th. Not all that unfathomable. Boston actually spent most of last year in 11th (see Regional results). Glassmen? I hate to wish a corps ill but last year's drop could signify the end of their hay day? At least for a while? :huh:

I must have misunderstood the intent of the thread. I thought we were discussing finals placement. To that end, no, Boston has not finished in 11th or below in 13 years, as stated.

People associated with BAC (including members, staff, and supporters) generally try to avoid pre-season hype and/or predictions, so I will try to do the same. I will only observe that many DCPers regularly predict BAC in the 11th-14th zone (probably due in part to that lack of hype), and it hasn't happened yet.

I must have misunderstood the intent of the thread. I thought we were discussing finals placement. To that end, no, Boston has not finished in 11th or below in 13 years, as stated.

Right, but that doesn't mean it can't happen in 2012. Especially when they in fact were in 11th for much of the 2011 season. They spent a good chunk of the season 4 points under Madison. I would say they dodged a bullet. Does not mean that they will be just as lucky in 2011. Remember, Blue Stars went from 8th in 2010 to 11th in 2011. It's not an unrealistic prediction.

People associated with BAC (including members, staff, and supporters) generally try to avoid pre-season hype and/or predictions, so I will try to do the same. I will only observe that many DCPers regularly predict BAC in the 11th-14th zone (probably due in part to that lack of hype), and it hasn't happened yet.

True, but that doesn't mean it can't. Nor does it make it an unrealistic prediction(which you seem to be implying that it is; unless I'm misunderstanding you).

Edited by bmjfelts1988

Right, but that doesn't mean it can't happen in 2012. Especially when they in fact were in 11th for much of the 2011 season. They spent a good chunk of the season 4 points under Madison. I would say they dodged a bullet. Does not mean that they will be just as lucky in 2011. Remember, Blue Stars went from 8th in 2010 to 11th in 2011. It's not an unrealistic prediction.

True, but that doesn't mean it can't. Nor does it make it an unrealistic prediction(which you seem to be implying that it is; unless I'm misunderstanding you).

Lucky? I can't think of any drum corps in any year who achieved their final performance levels based on "luck". Particularly last season, where there were more than a dozen extremely competitive corps. Was Madison lucky when they were hovering around 5th or 6th early on? No. They were better than their competition at that point. I was on tour with BAC in June last year, and Madison was outscoring Boston because they were outperforming BAC at that point. No luck was involved. Were Cadets lucky to win? No. They achieved. To cast any corps as being "lucky" is unfair and frankly untrue.

Lucky? I can't think of any drum corps in any year who achieved their final performance levels based on "luck". Particularly last season, where there were more than a dozen extremely competitive corps. Was Madison lucky when they were hovering around 5th or 6th early on? No. They were better than their competition at that point. I was on tour with BAC in June last year, and Madison was outscoring Boston because they were outperforming BAC at that point. No luck was involved. Were Cadets lucky to win? No. They achieved. To cast any corps as being "lucky" is unfair and frankly untrue.

Have to agree with this sentiment. Saw Boston early season and it was clear -- even then -- that their visual book would allow them to pass Madison. It just took some time for them to get clean. Difficult books are *always* harder to get clean.

That said -- I think Azul's predictions simply recognize that Academy and Crossmen might be passing some folks this season.

It may very well be that 9-15 could be very tightly packed this season.

Edited by corpsband
  • Like 1

Have to agree with this sentiment. Saw Boston early season and it was clear -- even then -- that their visual book would allow them to pass Madison. It just took some time for them to get clean. Difficult books are *always* harder to get clean.

That said -- I think Azul's predictions simply recognize that Academy and Crossmen might be passing some folks this season.

It may very well be that 9-15 could be very tightly packed this season.

I do mean that 9-18 will be tight this season. I don't wish ill fate to any corps but we've seen the mightiest fall far from the top (phantom 08-09, academy 07-08) so its definitely not out of the question. Some of these placements like I stated are me wanting that outcome but even I doubt it will happen. I think Boston's Titan show will be a great competitive show!

Hope this season is as entertaining from top to bottom as last years!

Edited by azul