The OFFICIAL 2012 Prediction Thread

I find some of these prediction VERY surprising. Especially those putting Colts out of semi's. The Colts (16th) were 1.15 points away from thirteenth place at semifinals, an incredibly tight space. Not to mention the fact that this was indeed a weak year for the Red Team. With some momentous changes in staff, along with there remaining to be the possibility of a wonderful design, I totally see the Colts having no problem knocking people down the list. Keep in mind that their fiftieth is right around the corner. My prediction for 2012 is the Red Team marches the Saturday show once again.

All the best!

Just a gut check. Just remember that post when Boston doesn't make Prelims this summer.

holy crips.

1. Blue Devils

2. Carolina Crown

3. Cavaliers

4. SCV

5. Cadets

6. Bluecoats

7. Phantom Regiment

8. Boston Crusaders

9. Madison Scouts

10. Blue Stars

11. Blue Knights

12. Spirit

I think with SCV's staff change, it'll mix things up a bit. Personally, I would like to see Crown, SCV, or Cavies win it this year. It should be a pretty great summer!

• Like 1

6.) Cavies- I know, they're the Green Machine, but drill design has been holding back Academy, can we not expect the same at Cavs?

FSUBONE,

I'll start by saying, The Academy is my local drum corps, I attend their local shows, attend their concerts and picnics, donate to the uniform/gas funds, raffles, etc....BUT, and I say this meaning no disrespect.The talent level and experience of the Academy members/staff as a whole does not compare to that of the Cavaliers. To say that the product Hinshaw produced at the Academy will be the same as he'll produce at the Cavaliers is kind of underestimating Hinshaw and the Cavaliers organization.

With the Cavies, Hinshaw is surrounded by a design team that knows what it takes to win/succeed. I know for a fact he's working in conjunction with Tommy Allen, he also knows that all eyes will be on him to see how he compares to Gaines. In quotes on the Cavies press release he even mentions the tradition and history of the Cavies drill designers (ie..Brubaker, Gaines) as well as how excited he is to work at the next level and design for a corps with so much talent. Besides that, Gaines is just a phone call away if any advice is needed.

If you take one of the greatest college basketball coaches of all time Mike Krzyzewski of Duke and replace his current roster with that of, for example, a lower Division I college as well as their assistant coaches, there's only so much he can get out of that particular talent/staff. His coaching abilities will only get him so far without the talent and resources he's used to surrounding himself with.

Give Hinshaw and the Cavies the benefit of the doubt before dropping them to their lowest ranking in 15 years.

PS: very proud of the Academy and what they have accomplished in bringing drum corps to the Valley of the Sun, see you in June!!!

I would expect nothing less from someone with your avatar.

Hinshaw = overrated

Bookmark this, come back and make me eat crow. You won't, because you won't be able to.

It never ceases to amaze me how little respect the Cavaliers organization gives Michael Gaines, and how much respect everyone else gives him. We've heard this since '01. He has had a large influence in the organization's sucess.

• Like 2

Big observation from this thread:

Not much love for Troop-a-loop. I don't understand why. They return a ton of vets. They have gotten past that old show stigma and have been giving us programming much more similar to the rest of DCI. They have a good design team and staff this year. The show is cool and is artsy but in touch with current culture. They have quite a bit of momentum from last year.

Combine all that with the things going on in the organization like Indy 500 honors, extended move ins, full camps in Texas, etc... I see no reason why they can't put up a fight for the 12 spot.

• Like 3

Hinshaw = overrated

Bookmark this, come back and make me eat crow. You won't, because you won't be able to.

It never ceases to amaze me how little respect the Cavaliers organization gives Michael Gaines, and how much respect everyone else gives him. We've heard this since '01. He has had a large influence in the organization's sucess.

Trust me, I believe Michael Gaines is an amazing drill designer and one of the largest reasons for the Cavies recent successes. my stomach dropped when i heard he was taking a break. But, the OP had the Cavies dropping to 6th place because of Gaines leaving. Thats the reason for the post. there is no way that the Cavies show design will drop them in the score range of a 92/93(based on recent 6th place shows). For them to drop to a score that low they're going to need to have miscues in more captions then just the show design.

I will admit that the past few years, I have felt the drill to be a little predictable and regurgitated from years past. Do I know if Hinshaw will be the savior, absolutely not. But I do think that the drum corps is moving in a different direction then just 250+ charts of drill. Look at the Blue Devils success the past few years, it was more about the staging with drill thrown in (they scored higher then the Cavies in most visual aspects). The Cavies have also added a consultant to the design team that will focus on corps staging and production design.

Basically, we're at a wait and see at this point in time, but we will know soon enough. Michael Gaines was a very important part to the success of the Cavaliers and their visual identity. But JD Shaw was a very important part of Phantoms' musical identity, does that mean they drop to 9th because he's gone? we shall see....

• Like 1

Hinshaw = overrated

I am pretty sure The Cavaliers organization gave him plenty of respect. Michael Gaines retired on his own free will and he will be greatly missed. I don't speak for the organization i'm just a fan, but I would assume that The Cavaliers did, and always will give him the upmost respect. I don't think Mr. Gains worked alone BUT I will say he was very responsible for most of the visual ideas on the field.

Edited by Hook'emCavies

Trust me, I believe Michael Gaines is an amazing drill designer and one of the largest reasons for the Cavies recent successes. my stomach dropped when i heard he was taking a break. But, the OP had the Cavies dropping to 6th place because of Gaines leaving. Thats the reason for the post. there is no way that the Cavies show design will drop them in the score range of a 92/93(based on recent 6th place shows). For them to drop to a score that low they're going to need to have miscues in more captions then just the show design.

I will admit that the past few years, I have felt the drill to be a little predictable and regurgitated from years past. Do I know if Hinshaw will be the savior, absolutely not. But I do think that the drum corps is moving in a different direction then just 250+ charts of drill. Look at the Blue Devils success the past few years, it was more about the staging with drill thrown in (they scored higher then the Cavies in most visual aspects). The Cavies have also added a consultant to the design team that will focus on corps staging and production design.

Basically, we're at a wait and see at this point in time, but we will know soon enough. Michael Gaines was a very important part to the success of the Cavaliers and their visual identity. But JD Shaw was a very important part of Phantoms' musical identity, does that mean they drop to 9th because he's gone? we shall see....

remember phantom regiment 09 anybody?

although they placed poorly in many captions, it was REALLY all because of one area of design...he was there the year previous but from what i understand was being helped tremendously by someone else who has a long history with the corps.

I'm not saying cavies will drop to ninth, but i don't think 5th/6th is really out of the question... then again neither is first... you'd be surprised how much the visual design effects everything outside of visual design.

side note: twin! you're back??

remember phantom regiment 09 anybody?

although they placed poorly in many captions, it was REALLY all because of one area of design...he was there the year previous but from what i understand was being helped tremendously by someone else who has a long history with the corps.

I'm not saying cavies will drop to ninth, but i don't think 5th/6th is really out of the question... then again neither is first... you'd be surprised how much the visual design effects everything outside of visual design.

side note: twin! you're back??

I toally agree with your comment regarding visual design effecting other captions. Thats's why I'm not being quick to judge....yet :) There maybe some positives in the change.

Maybe Cavies brass will produce higher scores if they're not running around on the field.

Maybe more melodic/difficult parts through the brass as well, instead of the front ensemble carrying melody while the brass marches frantically from set to set behind them.

This past year, i thought the Cavies guard, for the most part, was staged in too many small groups across the field with each group doing too many different things. I didnt really receive the effect that I had wanted from the 32 men working together. I really appreciate when guards get staged as a whole from time to time in a show. it adds alot of effect (see phantom or coats).

My point is...sometimes change while being different may be for the better. Ultimately, I want a drum corps that excites me visually, but also musically effects me emotionally. If a corps can find the right combination of both....they had me at hello. The Cavies have always been a visual juggernaut, i just hope for the day when they can find that perfect mix. My dream corps would combine Cavies visual/execution with Phantoms musical emotion.