Make Finals outdoors, PLEASE!

I support the dome 100%. Some of you may have 1000s of $$$$ to waste if there's a rain delay but I don't.

It's an amazing facility and I can't wait to get back next year!

agree great night , cool and storm free...it was so bad out for a while would have ruined everything....loved the night.

agree great night , cool and storm free...it was so bad out for a while would have ruined everything....loved the night.

It does not rain every single night in Indiana. Trust me.

We went for nearly an entire month without a drop of rain in July (broke the record for the dryest July in recorded history in Indianapolis this year). Meanwhile, it rained 11 inches in the month of July 3 hours north of here and they broke the record for the wettest July on record.

Weather is unpredictable, but to never even try (especially on nights like we had last Thursday, after promising the fan base that they'd give it a shot at Quarterfinals in 2010) is just flat out sad.

To those who think it would still echo... yes, but it would echo like any other outdoor stadium would. It wouldn't muffle and make the sound like GOOOOOO as the metal ceiling and windows are doing right now. It would definitely help the percussion, and it would make the brass much more "live". It's just flat out acoustical physics that when stuff has a place to go, the reverb will be cut considerably.

Nights like this is why we should be outside.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KGzY7lUr5E&feature=related

If this happened in Lucas, it wouldn't have been nearly as exciting.

Again, DCI at least needs to try. So at the very least they can see how it sounds, and so when they sign for another 10-20 years at LOS, they can be ready to open it when they figure out that Indiana isn't as always hot or wet as it has been the past couple of seasons. Seriously, it would at least go a long way to helping their PR spin a little bit.

It does not rain every single night in Indiana. Trust me.

We went for nearly an entire month without a drop of rain in July (broke the record for the dryest July in recorded history in Indianapolis this year). Meanwhile, it rained 11 inches in the month of July 3 hours north of here and they broke the record for the wettest July on record.

Weather is unpredictable, but to never even try (especially on nights like we had last Thursday, after promising the fan base that they'd give it a shot at Quarterfinals in 2010) is just flat out sad.

To those who think it would still echo... yes, but it would echo like any other outdoor stadium would. It wouldn't muffle and make the sound like GOOOOOO as the metal ceiling and windows are doing right now. It would definitely help the percussion, and it would make the brass much more "live". It's just flat out acoustical physics that when stuff has a place to go, the reverb will be cut considerably.

Nights like this is why we should be outside.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KGzY7lUr5E&feature=related

If this happened in Lucas, it wouldn't have been nearly as exciting.

Again, DCI at least needs to try. So at the very least they can see how it sounds, and so when they sign for another 10-20 years at LOS, they can be ready to open it when they figure out that Indiana isn't as always hot or wet as it has been the past couple of seasons. Seriously, it would at least go a long way to helping their PR spin a little bit.

may not ever rain but fact is it did......personally i think it was a great night

may not ever rain but fact is it did......personally i think it was a great night

I'm not debating whether it was a great night or not. It was, and I still enjoyed it.

My point is DCI needs to follow through and try what they sold us all on... and what Indy sold them on... not bait and switch.

After discussions directly with the DCI staff, there are three major reasons why the roof will just not be opened;

1. Curtains - (as previously mentioned). It's just not that easy to lay down every curtain in the place, especially since they're hung from the top of the building (did you look up?). It's labor and cost intensive and also takes intt account the banners and marketing issues that would have to resolved. The safety rules would probably also prohibit hanging curtains in an environment that would be exposed to a potential wind gust (see Indiana State Fair 8-13-11) and fall on fans or even on the corps. Even barring a gust, which staff do you think would stand for nice flowing curtains during their performance? (see Rose Bowl / hash marks). If you lay down the curtains to open the roof, now you've drastically changed the accoustic environment.

2. Weather potential....(the horse is dead...move on!)

3. LOS is 4 times the air volume that the RCA Dome was. The reason they can open it for football in 60 or 70 degree weather is that it takes only 4 hours or so to heat it 20 degrees. It takes THREE DAYS to cool it that much with the humidity that has to be withdrawn from the air. 65 degree temps with humidity about 50% ain't happening anywhere in August except MAYBE Denver. Minneapolis...great location, lovely stadium, one rain out and one hotter than the maroon side of Cadets show! Just an example.

DISCLAIMER - I live in Indy, love it here, thrilled to see that more people are coming around to it's qualities and having fun. The people at DCI and in Indy have worked VERY hard to address every concern and make this a place our activity looks forward to coming back to. I've been in LOS for games with the roof and side window open and it's AWESOME, but in our case, the cure is worse than the disease and keeping it closed is the right decision.

so in other words, pay $125 for ###### sound and like it.

• Like 1

Maybe they have with their silence for the time being and hoping the subject goes away.

it wont wont wont as long as it's inside side side

Funny that you mention the battery percussion, because that is precisely the biggest issue of playing indoors. With the corps that I came in to help for the last two weeks (Blue Knights) that was the adjustment we had to make after Quarterfinals. We were getting killed for balance issues in "Molly on the Shore" when during the season it was I admit a bit of a problem but not nearly as obvious. We had to make adjustments in brass articulation and volume and the drums had to bring heights down, all in our short semis rehearsal day. This is exactly what I'm talking about. We rehearse outdoors every day, balance things for outdoors, and then have to reinvent the wheel for Finals. Its silly. I understand the positives but lets at least continue this conversation. Like was previously posted, lets try it with the roof open once instead of just ignoring us purists and hope we go away. The drums, not the pit, the battery is way, way, too loud indoors. And honestly I'm sure its kind of disappointing for those battery percussion performers who have to tone down their volume in spots for balance--balances that are just fine when outdoors. Has anyone else had this experience in either band or drum corps where you had to adjust battery volume for indoors?

I haven't and you're right. Until finals week what...2 shows are inside? So yes, let's take the 3 biggest venues we have, and then have to change everything just for them as opposed to the other 30 shows we do.

genius thinking

:rolleyes:

• Like 1

so in other words, pay $125 for ###### sound and like it.

For the safety of the kids and fans........ YES

the state fair video says it all.

• Like 1

My last point and I'll be quiet. If Finals this year happened to be outside and we had that storm like this year it would not have "ruined everything." It would have been a rain delay. The weather was nice again after the the storm passed. Safety would have been the same as it was this year since the kids had to deal with the storm during the warm-up procedure. The kids were definitely outside or on the buses when that storm went through THIS year. So, no need to talk about safety or the state fair when the kids were underneath overhangs or on buses in the warm up area during the storm as it was THIS year. Now, it wouldn't have been optimal and I am grateful that we were indoors this year but lets not exaggerate and say that the roof saved DCI. We have had rain delays before. It would have been no fun but we would have still had a Finals night. Once again, lets not exaggerate to make a point.

All drum corps shows should be in domes.

• Like 2