Make Finals outdoors, PLEASE!

Indy apparently isnt going anywhere for a long time, unfortunately.

What I would like to see is some more movement in the regional dates. We've got a great outdoor venue in the Minneapolis regional, lets get that the week before finals at least once every few years. Gives outdoor drum corps fans a big show they can hit at almost the end of the season in what might be (imho) one of the best venues DCI has (Stanford would be right up there as well.. but getting everyone to the west coast is costly).

I would gladly pay finals pricing for that show if it was a week before finals. And yes, im sure some wont like this (bring on the downvotes), and i understand the history of the place, but i'm sorry, DCI's final seeding event should not be a 2 day show, at a high school stadium. It should be a 1 day show at a major college or nfl stadium.

Thou shalt not move DCI East.

I was in the stadium last night for the Colts pre-season game (if you can call it a game...more like a tailgate party and a football game broke out). Anyway, I was surprised that they opened the roof and window, but they did. I sent the pictures to Mike Boo....and the sunlight thing was just an observation, not a complaint or obstacle. The look of the place, view of skyline when the window is open is amazing, but I have to say that when you see it all lit up by daylight so shortly after DCI with all the black curtains you realize what a quasi-theater effect the curtains create and really do equalize the experience of each of the corps no matter what time of day they go on. With darkness about 9:45 PM right now due to Indy being on the western edge of the Eastern time zone, that means only about the last 5 corps would get to perform after dark. Not promoting, just discussing interesting facts.

The weather when they opened it was comparable to last Thursday....81 degrees, but a little more humid. Some clouds came in and maybe a slight drizzle. The NFL ref (per Indianapolis Star article this morning) demanded twice that they close the roof, then held the game till it was completed. They closed the side window prior to half-time, so it was open for about 2 hours. You guys ought to go to NFLPlanet.com and tell them their refs are wimps!

Factual observations from being in an almost identical situation, which was in a suite on concert side:

- air-conditioning stayed on in suite areas, restrooms, etc.

- Stadium became noticeably warmer and more stuffy within about an hour after they opened the roof.

- Conditions improved quickly once the roof/window were closed, but we were also only looking at a 5-7 degree difference. The humidity seemed to be a bigger factor.

- Time from walking out of suite, down elevator, out of stadium to car or potentially to bar with beer in hand...7 minutes.

I think everyone would LOVE to have the window and roof open..it'd be a great experience. I'm lucky to get to enjoy that. I hope that these observations are interesting to some of you. The rest are just anti-(insert list here) and will think I'm just wrong. Whatever....still think the total pros/cons were weighed by a collection of pretty smart people, including stadium/DCI/public safety/ICVA officials as well as the member corps of DCI themselves and they made/make the best decisions possible. From the feedback I've seen from most that attended and commented here, they had a pretty great time and enjoyed some great drum corps. See you next August.

Edited by Splooie89

Splooie89: What kind of breeze came into the stands and how much do you think that might disturb the black fabric?

No breeze at all last night, pretty still conditions.

Have you been there for a game with the roof open when there was a breeze? And without a breeze when it's hot, how comfortable is it to sit in the seats?

It was a medium drizzle. Actual rain? That came for Bridgemen.

must have been different in your section. I know there was more than drizzle at a few points

I like being a wimp. It usually gets me closer to the bathrooms.

I suggest instead of using your DCI pass to have the great seats, sit with the great unwashed sometime.

it'll change your views, tho you wouldn't publish them

I suggest instead of using your DCI pass to have the great seats, sit with the great unwashed sometime.

it'll change your views, tho you wouldn't publish them

I don't use my DCI pass in order to have great seats; I use it so I can sit behind a table connected to an Ethernet cable and blog all three shows on DCI.org with my laptop, with my research materials on the table for quick review. It's not like I'm just sitting on my butt enjoying great sound; I've got a job to do and I do it.

• Like 1