Make Finals outdoors, PLEASE!

We'll be at Lucas Oil Stadium for awhile. With the increase in attendance, the bail-out clause is certainly not going to be activated. So, the question is...how do we make this thing work for everyone while keeping everyone comfortable?

How do we make it work for everyone? The point of this entire thread... OPEN THE ROOF when available, on comfortable, clear days.

When you can't do it because of rain or heat, keep it closed.

Lucas is a great venue that we're not even utilizing to the full capabilities, and not utilizing in the fashion that DCI was sold on. That is what kills me the most!!! To put it in perspective, there was a 30% chance of rain declared earlier this afternoon for all of this evening (I work for a TV station that had it in their forecast all day, and it also lightly rained near the metro about 3 hours ago), yet Lucas Oil Stadium has the roof open for the Colts preseason game tonight -- RIGHT NOW.

Shockingly, they looked at the radar and figured out it was clear around much of the area now, so they opened it up, knowing they could easily close it if any rain "popped up".

I know, amazing right?

Edited by IMcomguy
  • Like 2

How do we make it work for everyone? The point of this entire thread... OPEN THE ROOF when available, on comfortable, clear days.

When you can't do it because of rain or heat, keep it closed.

Lucas is a great venue that we're not even utilizing to the full capabilities, and not utilizing in the fashion that DCI was sold on. That is what kills me the most!!! To put it in perspective, there was a 30% chance of rain declared earlier this afternoon for all of this evening (I work for a TV station that had it in their forecast all day, and it also lightly rained near the metro about 3 hours ago), yet Lucas Oil Stadium has the roof open for the Colts preseason game tonight -- RIGHT NOW.

Shockingly, they looked at the radar and figured out it was clear around much of the area now, so they opened it up, knowing they could easily close it if any rain "popped up".

I know, amazing right?

I'm not amazed. I've got three photos sitting on my desktop that someone sent me just prior to 6:00 EST to show how the light hits the inside. (The window is also open. I've got to admit the site of open window on the north side and the open roof is pretty cool.) When he called to tell me he was sending the photos, he stated the way the sun comes in after 5:30 creates vastly different glare situations as the time progresses. I know, amazing...right? :shutup:

Edited by Michael Boo
  • Like 2

I'm not amazed. I've got three photos sitting on my desktop that someone sent me just prior to 6:00 EST to show how the light hits the inside. (The window is also open. I've got to admit the site of open window on the north side and the open roof is pretty cool.) When he called to tell me he was sending the photos, he stated the way the sun comes in after 5:30 creates vastly different glare situations as the time progresses. I know, amazing...right? :shutup:

Seriously, are you complaining about the sun shining now????

ANY open air stadium on EARTH has sun and shadows at any certain time, including DCI Finals for many decades before this... Man, just because Colts fans are pansies ..(they complain about the temperature being below 65 or above 75, or when the sun shines in Peyton's face..) all because they've been potty trained that football belongs in a dome and not the elements... but honestly, it doesn't mean drum corps fans should be the same way.

Seriously Michael? :thumbdown:

• Like 2

Seriously, are you complaining about the sun shining now????

ANY open air stadium on EARTH has sun and shadows at any certain time, including DCI Finals for many decades before this... Man, just because Colts fans are pansies ..(they complain about the temperature being below 65 or above 75, or when the sun shines in Peyton's face..) all because they've been potty trained that football belongs in a dome and not the elements... but honestly, it doesn't mean drum corps fans should be the same way.

Seriously Michael? :thumbdown:

You, sir, need to send your resume to DCI ASAP. You can fix drum corps. All of it! This I believe.

• Like 3

Build it and they will come.

DCI and Indy built it and the people are coming. Sound issues are improving. $125 a ticket is a small price to pay for the certainty of the show going on and for the safety of the children and spectators. this is a football field in a great stadium. Not some half baked baseball field in the middle of the ghetto.

What?

Are you going to seriously pretend that every finals before this might as well have been on some vacant lot before this? We've had finals in many excellent stadiums, in great cities around the country, and without half the issues that have been consistently brought up since finals moved into this stadium. Not one single finals has been rained out that I'm aware of. Frankly, Ed, your argument is irrational.

• Like 1

You, sir, need to send your resume to DCI ASAP. You can fix drum corps. All of it! This I believe.

Congratulations, your post has nothing to do with this conversation!

• Like 1

Congratulations, your post has nothing to do with this conversation!

You mean it wasn't about armchair quarterbacks proposing nonsensical solutions to decisions made by individuals with a greater breadth of understanding and insight?

• Like 1

You mean it wasn't about armchair quarterbacks proposing nonsensical solutions to decisions made by individuals with a greater breadth of understanding and insight?

I forgot complaining about the sun or blowing curtains or no air conditioning or (insert any other reason never to ever ever ever open the roof as it was detailed in DCI's synopsis of why they chose this stadium)... is all "sensical" to you, and that your "greater breadth of understanding" of the activity is apparent here in this thread.

Or, it could be because -- heaven forbid -- I called out Michael Boo for making a comment about the way the sun shines into Lucas Oil Stadium as yet another reason why we should never ever try opening the roof to *gasp* perhaps improve the experience for the performers.

But keep telling me how I'm armchairing, while you offer nothing but a personal attack to something you weren't even discussing in the first place.

• Like 1

It was a medium drizzle. Actual rain? That came for Bridgemen.

i wouldnt call that a medium drizzle during several corps

Well, if we hold it outside some year and there is a downpour, perhaps we can arrange for those in the press box and skyboxes to get wet as well, because if even a limited portion of the audience stays dry, it's not good. :devil:

that's cause you're all wimps :tongue: