Make Finals outdoors, PLEASE!

If we're ever at an outdoor stadium where it's raining all day, then 100% of the paying crowd suffers. The trick now is to get things fine-tuned so that everyone has good sound. I just interviewed a DCI timpanist for DCI.org...spent eight hours Wednesday with him and his parents from out of the country. He thought the sound was fine. I guess different people have different reactions...and I also guess if someone goes to a marcher with a positive spin, that will be reflected in their answer. And if they go to the marcher with a negative spin, that too will be reflected in the answer.

We'll be at Lucas Oil Stadium for awhile. With the increase in attendance, the bail-out clause is certainly not going to be activated. So, the question is...how do we make this thing work for everyone while keeping everyone comfortable?

yet the crowd at Allentown hyped on it and made it fun for all. funny how people do that...on bleachers seats, with people cramming in where they dont have seats..and people made it fun.

imagine that.

Plus it's beensaid by many, if your section doesnt end in 39, 40or 41, the sound suffers some to a lot.

that's a large chunk of the paying crowd that suffers.

I'm glad attendance is up, but imagine how much more it would be up if a) we're outside and b) somewhere other than Indy.

• Like 1

yet the crowd at Allentown hyped on it and made it fun for all. funny how people do that...on bleachers seats, with people cramming in where they dont have seats..and people made it fun.

imagine that.

Plus it's beensaid by many, if your section doesnt end in 39, 40or 41, the sound suffers some to a lot.

that's a large chunk of the paying crowd that suffers.

I'm glad attendance is up, but imagine how much more it would be up if a) we're outside and b) somewhere other than Indy.

Jeff, you know I respect the daylights out of you, but I guess this is one thing we're just going to have different opinions on. The light and occasional drizzle I experienced on Saturday in Allentown (at least until the end of Blue Devils and during Bridgemen Alumni) was nothing compared to what I experienced last year in Minneapolis or what we would have experienced this year at Finals had the stadium not been enclosed. In a downpour, no one has a good seat because the corps don't play. I've been reading from plenty that the sound has improved due to whatever factors...hopefully if will continue to improve as it gets tweaked. I still feel that less than 100% perfect sound is better than no sound because corps are sitting on their buses. Peace.

Jeff, you know I respect the daylights out of you, but I guess this is one thing we're just going to have different opinions on. The light and occasional drizzle I experienced on Saturday in Allentown (at least until the end of Blue Devils and during Bridgemen Alumni) was nothing compared to what I experienced last year in Minneapolis or what we would have experienced this year at Finals had the stadium not been enclosed. In a downpour, no one has a good seat because the corps don't play. I've been reading from plenty that the sound has improved due to whatever factors...hopefully if will continue to improve as it gets tweaked. I still feel that less than 100% perfect sound is better than no sound because corps are sitting on their buses. Peace.

i wouldnt call it light or a drizzle from Crown to the end.

the sound has improved from reading...if your section ends in 39, 40 or 41.

sit outside those sections and you're screwed.

sorry Mike, but when a limited portion of the audience gets even better than average sound, that's not good.

The sound has never been great outside the 35s. I sat between the 25 and the 30 at the 200 level in the Meadowlands a few days before finals and was entirely disappointed by the sound. What went wrong? We weren't on the goal line or the upper deck after all. The vector was just off, dissipating and weakening the impact. I have had other bad seats outside the 35s at other stadiums.

And this attempt to compare the inconvenient precipitation in Allentown to the full Baptist brimstone that havocked Indy is silly. The fact is we might not have finished Saturday under those dangerous conditions. I realize that what happened across town at the Indiana State Fair can't be connected directly to what was going on in Lucas Oil Stadium. Still, can you imagine the kind of pressure stadium and event officials would have faced had we been outside? Could they possibly have resumed our show while emergency crews were racing to the fairgrounds to rescue people at another outdoor event?

I've sat through downpours at finals in Jackson and experienced delays in Denver and Orlando. This was the one we feared would come someday. The roof saved us. That's the hype we need.

HH

Edited by glory
  • Like 2

Prelims in Bloomington might increase their attendance and if they get rained out, tack on the corps to semis

The Jetta guy is right, very few section have acceptable sound, I’d say 3 than its just varying degrees of rank - I've been all over that dome, I know, my ears don't lie

The sound is slightly better than 2009 plus we are more use to the bad sound there and know what to expect but... it is the AM transistor radio of sound for drum corps

about the only thing I like about that G7 thing was the call for outdoor finals

if we were not in that dome we would not have been in Indy, and the weather was fine in many other places that evening…it’s a red herring as you can not separate the 2, they are a package…

How many years did they. Have electronics issues to deal with. ? Electronics and standing water do not mix. Several DCA shows have gone on this year with standing water and downpours. Not so sure the DCI shows could have when taking into consideration the safety of our kids.

finals would have been cancelled this year for sure. Look at all the money DCI would have lost. Look at how many fans would have been disappointed. Think of the 5 dead just a few miles away and u can see why all of that over shadows a little echo.

I hate it when I make sense.

Ugh. I really don't think that Finals would have been cancelled for sure. It would have been delayed maybe even possibly hours. Remember Quarterfinals night of 2003. And once again, I would love to see finals in LOS but I want to see the roof opened if possible. That is all. Another words, I think that having the roof open for part of Prelims, all of Semis and none of Finals this past week would have been a reasonable decision. And for all the softies that like it cool, I guess just go hang out in the concession area and watch it on the tv's. Really, when did drum corps get so soft. Ugh.

And another thing. And this is in response to the parent that remarked about the six rain-outs. I came on and taught for the last two weeks of the season and 2 of the 5 shows before Nats were rained out. But it wasn't for safety or field conditions but for electronics. And if you go back to how I started this thread, one of my suggestions was to make it a standard for all shows to be performable without electronics. At least make it possible to do the show without them. I am not anti-electronics. I think corps should use them. But I think its a shame to rain out a show only due to electronics. So, I think the corps should be asked to make the adjustment for light drizzle shows and perform their shows acoustic. There would be some kinks to work out sure but I think it would be a good idea. Anything to lessen the rain-outs. No one likes those, the fans, the kids, the staffs...no one. Maybe I should start another thread only focusing on that cause its a slightly different topic on whether or not to open the roof at LOS.

Oh, and I just read the 5 dead thing. Just go back and reread all of my earlier posts on that one. 5 dead in a storm at a concert=no outdoor sporting or musical events ever....yep...makes sense to me (sarcasm). I just hope that my favorite bands that I like to go see don't take on your mentality. Radiohead outdoors was the shizz but I digress. Seriously, think of any awful accident. People didn't just stop doing those things afterwards....plane crashes, titanic sinking, Bp oil spill...I still live on the Coast even though my home was lost to Katrina. And another point, what if someone was in the MetroDOME when that roof caved in. I feel like you are just using something with a lot of shock and emotion behind it to justify your point.

And this attempt to compare the inconvenient precipitation in Allentown to the full Baptist brimstone that havocked Indy is silly. The fact is we might not have finished Saturday under those dangerous conditions. I realize that what happened across town at the Indiana State Fair can't be connected directly to what was going on in Lucas Oil Stadium. Still, can you imagine the kind of pressure stadium and event officials would have faced had we been outside? Could they possibly have resumed our show while emergency crews were racing to the fairgrounds to rescue people at another outdoor event?

I've sat through downpours at finals in Jackson and experienced delays in Denver and Orlando. This was the one we feared would come someday. The roof saved us. That's the hype we need.

HH

I know what you are saying, thankfully they didn’t have finals in Sendai Japan back in march, praise Indy

Now we just have to hope it rains the remaining years in Indy to further validate the dome and then stop raining in time for us to walk back to our hotels

Jackson rocked, one of my fav venues ever

deadhorse.gif
  • Like 2

i wouldnt call it light or a drizzle from Crown to the end.

the sound has improved from reading...if your section ends in 39, 40 or 41.

sit outside those sections and you're screwed.

sorry Mike, but when a limited portion of the audience gets even better than average sound, that's not good.

Well, if we hold it outside some year and there is a downpour, perhaps we can arrange for those in the press box and skyboxes to get wet as well, because if even a limited portion of the audience stays dry, it's not good. :devil: