SCV 2012

I mentioned to Jeff in 2009 on tour that I'd personally love to see the corps update the '89 Phantom of the Opera ... so that's one thing I'd love to see.

However, if I was to pick and choose from random shows ... here's what I'd pick:

Act I - Opener - Phantom of the Opera '89

Act II - Sabbath Prayer/Bottle Dance

Act III - Ballad - Send in the Clowns

Act IV - Drum Feature - Original Feature taking inspiration from previous features showing the evolution of the line. For example, have it written and performed the way the line would've played in the late 60's, then transition into the 70's, 80's, 90's, 2000's and current day. I think that would be pretty interesting.

Act V - Final Push - Act V (2009) (Final Push of Ballet for Martha) ending with the corps leaving to Stained Glass from 2000 in a similar fashion (leaving while the pit is still playing.

Those are my choices.

I just hope they can get the Brass problem figured out. I don't know why Andre is gone ... but he was amazing for the corps. This new Brass Staff just can't hang, if you ask me. I want Andre back.

• Like 3

And then there is that great unplayed SCV piece, "Cavatina", better known as the "Theme From The Deerhunter".

Each year in the mid-1970s I would contact Gail Royer about their repertoire. No fewer than three years he had planned to feature "Deerhunter" as a closer, but it never happened.

It would have been one HECK of a piece!

All these ideas are great, but I'd rather they wait until the corps 50th anniversary.

Actually, I was just coming back on to add that to my original post but you beat me to it.

All these ideas are great, but I’d rather they wait until the corps 50th anniversary.

Agreed on this point. 45 is not exactly a loaded anniversary. Personally I like the trend of late with SCV's programming. I'd love to see a good corps take on Hindemith's Symphony for Band or Janacek's Sinfonietta.

And now my selections...in no particular order:

Bottle Dance (DUH!)

Procession of the Nobles (with the Peter T 4th opening)

Young Person's Guide to the Orchestra

Lezghinka/Stone Ground Seven (gotta throw a bone to the drum line!)

Slava

Tender Land (as before...84 version)

Festive Overture

Great Gate of Kiev

Something from Phantom of the Opera

New Era, New Era, New New New...New Era

Send in the Clowns (again, DUH!)

Totally on board with your selections - for me though definitely Slava and Festive Overture

2012 will be Vanguard's 45th Anniversary. Should they blow off the dust on some old charts and revamp them. What would you like them to do besides Phantom of the Opera or Fiddler?

My list is long but recently I keep listening and watching '85:

Festive Overture by Dimitri Shostakovich

Grover's Corner (from Our Town) by Aaron Copland

Tender Land by Aaron Copland

The Red Pony by Aaron Copland

Very Santa Clara

Definitely Russian Christmas Music, the '87 version. Why revamp? Heck, do the entire '87 show, costumes, backdrops and all!!!

Revamp how? Using a synth? Alfred Reed ala Vangelis...Yuck!!!

• Like 1