How did you discover DCI?

And aren't you sorry you asked!

*Will DCI ever get these older non-Finalist shows on the Fan Network, do you think? Obviously the video exists. I'd pay extra to be able to access more older shows.

I am not in the least bit sorry I asked. I'm loving every single one of these replies - all of them!

As for the older non-finalist videos - YES PLEASE!!!!

To keep it on the Jr side....

Saw my my first Jr corps at a DCA show at Hershey, PA in 1974 (first corps show I ever saw). It was a lower lever really young corps that did the "waiting for the scores" exhibition playing music from 1776, etc... Don't even know their name as they weren't listed in the program.

Two monthes later the Troopers did the "waiting for the scores" exhibition at my corps home show (another DCA show). Night before the show my corps practiced at the stadium under the lights for a bit then F Troop showed up. After warming up they took the field in street clothes and we watched from the stands.. Holy ####!!!!

Oh yeah... saw my first show about 7-8 months after I joined my first corps.... 3 months after I joined that corps disbanded and merged into my second corps. :tongue:

Edited by JimF-LowBari

I didn't - it discovered us. As part of the original Midwest Combine our corps was one of the founding drum corps to form DCI.

:cool:

I was in High School as a percussionist who never practiced that much. I was an average player at the time, at best. My instructor took me to see the Blue Devils rehearse (1994) in Allentown as well as the Allentown, PA show; I was hooked. I didn't know that there was activity like this out there, and I knew I had to be a part of it. I think I upped my practice time from 20 minutes a day to hours and hours per day. A simple event of going to a single DCI show turned me around musically, to the point where now I'm an instructor and doing the same thing with my students.

Edited by dmb4040

My brother marched in the Quad Cities Knights in 1993, then I attended my first drum corps show in 1994. But seeing and hearing the Madison Scouts live in 1995 (and ripping my face off with their hornline) at the Rockford Show of Shows had me hooked.

*Will DCI ever get these older non-Finalist shows on the Fan Network, do you think? Obviously the video exists. I'd pay extra to be able to access more older shows.

I know, I'd love to see so many of the non-finalist shows again. There were many years that were so close and many of the 13th - 25th place corps had some great shows!

I was dragged to the first DCI in 1972 by my parents and I don’t remember it at all...several years later I was offered into the bondage of a drum corps, part hostage, part slave by those same parents

Stockholm syndrome is a ##### to kick

help me

Playing saxophone in 8th grade...

Band director hands out New World Symphony...

Get home that afternoon and logon to Napster...

Search: New World Symphony

"What's Phantom Regiment?"

The rest is history...

I know there were lots that got their first drum corps taste off of filesharing programs back in the day. Mine was Kazaa.

Spring of 72.

Tour schedule is handed out at practice.

we all look it over and ask: Hey, how come no VFW or AL nationals ? ( too far away)

Ok, what's this thing in Whitewater ?