Cadets 2012 - 25th Anniv of 1987's App Spring

The shows do not correspond man. If you're trying to rationalize why you think Cadets should rehash A.S., you're not doing a great job of it. 1993 and 1998 are completely unique to each other in the way the shows were designed to the pieces of music played.

Listen to them back to back and compare the openers, the second tunes, the ballads and the closers

If you don't see the similarities and parallels then not sure what else I got -- they line up almost the same - tempos, intent, the features etc... Seems like you're focused on the music itself which I'm not. I'm talking construction/purpose/flow/intent/colors

Not trying to rationalize anything...

But I do have to roll my eyes to the SCV reference - it's like comparing a marshmallow to top shelf ice cream

Doubt Cadets would revisit 87 anyway - these days DCI doesn't really want drill fit to music - or musical ideas completed - it's all about super fast transitions and how many pictures you can paint in 11 minutes

Listen to them back to back and compare the openers, the second tunes, the ballads and the closers

If you don't see the similarities and parallels then not sure what else I got -- they line up almost the same - tempos, intent, the features etc... Seems like you're focused on the music itself which I'm not. I'm talking construction/purpose/flow/intent/colors

Not trying to rationalize anything...

But I do have to roll my eyes to the SCV reference - it's like comparing a marshmallow to top shelf ice cream

Doubt Cadets would revisit 87 anyway - these days DCI doesn't really want drill fit to music - or musical ideas completed - it's all about super fast transitions and how many pictures you can paint in 11 minutes

I think I see what you mean. To me, they're the same "formula", but not even close to a rehash. But that's just how I see it.

Just to keep the fun going.

From George's Facebook Page:

‎"2012 marks the 25th Anniversary of the Cadets Appalachian Spring show.

Hmmmmm"

Sure he's saying that to stoke the fires here. :)

Just to keep the fun going.

From George's Facebook Page:

‎"2012 marks the 25th Anniversary of the Cadets Appalachian Spring show.

Hmmmmm"

George knows as well as anybody that a music-driven show like that won't succeed in DCI today. You've got to have a big concept. You've got to have GE. So...

"Presenting their 2012 production 'Appalachian Spring ... and Demons' ..."

Seriously, seem like it's a very likely rep choice for Cadets2. That's exactly the type of thing they said they wanted to do with the DCA corps.

• Like 1

I don't necessarily buy the "too soon after 09 SCV" line of thought....if Sky Ryders had thought "West Side Story for 87? Naaahhh....too soon after 84 Garfield won with it" we wouldn't have the best theatrical version of WSS to hit the field (84 Garfield being the best MUSICAL version). Nor, ironically, would be have had a show where the corps was in three different color schemes...2 decades before 11 Cadets.

The REAL problem with Cadets redoing the 87 show is I would NOT want to be a current member living in the shadow of THAT particular show (similar to 05 SCV with Russian Xmas Music...the comparisons to the 87 version were, in my mind, too much to overcome). 92 perhaps, 88 yes....87....no. Leave that as it is.

Edited by 84BDsop

I don't necessarily buy the "too soon after 09 SCV" line of thought....if Sky Ryders had thought "West Side Story for 87? Naaahhh....too soon after 84 Garfield won with it" we wouldn't have the best theatrical version of WSS to hit the field (84 Garfield being the best MUSICAL version). Nor, ironically, would be have had a show where the corps was in three different color schemes...2 decades before 11 Cadets.

The REAL problem with Cadets redoing the 87 show is I would NOT want to be a current member living in the shadow of THAT particular show (similar to 05 SCV with Russian Xmas Music...the comparisons to the 87 version were, in my mind, too much to overcome). 92 perhaps, 88 yes....87....no. Leave that as it is.

Try being in SCV and having to deal with all of the comparisons to the Garfield show.... :doh: The shows were pretty different, just using the same source music. Garfield used the Appalachian Spring Suite in their show, while SCV used the Ballet for Martha, the original version. They were close, but not the same show, but both were amazing in their own respects. But, there are always folks that can't see a show without trying to compare it to something else. Think about '99, when both Crossmen and SCV did Blue Shades, I wasn't around, but I can assume there were some arguments over that.

While it would be cool to see the Cadets do this again, I'd almost rather them not.

A.) Vanguard just did it in 09.

B.) Anniversary shows rarely live up to the original. (Cadets '09 was great, but no '84.)

C.) I want to see them continue forward on the path they set out this year instead of returning to something that's already been done.