Paid attendance figures for DCI World Championships

No. Attendance at a show must be "at the show". Theater attendance is reported separately. For Thursday's show, more people are watching it in theaters than in person.

As a complete aside, they should figure out how to organize some live events overseas, especially Japan. They could kill it.

Not long ago, I started going to some of the TED broadcast events. The model they have is a special stream that is available to international event promoters (I believe it is like $1,000/year) and they are able to produce live streaming events where they can charge for attendance.

With quality of streaming improving, this could be an interesting model and could generate some good money with the right partners.

Using Japan as an example, since there is quite a fan base there and good money, it could be interesting to have a separate feed for commentary segments of a broadcast that could have Japanese commentators, then cut back into the main feed.

Time difference is pretty rough, so, could even be done on a delay the next day. But, there is loads of money sitting out there with trying to get more subscriptions from international viewers.

One thing they do need to do... is adjust their payment validation mechanism. It requires state. I tried several times with an overseas card and it failed because of the state validation. I finally figured you could McGyver it by selecting I think AA or AE, for armed forces overseas. It worked. I don't think it would be possible for someone overseas that isn't American to have figured that out... especially if English is not their first language.

Anyway, an expanded streaming pitched to an international audience could help pad some of the revenues and help improve the overall online experience.

Probably because they've been a lot less since 2007, obviously, with West Coast inflation, venue issues, certain fan's creative issues, etc. Not a huge stretch of the imagination.

Who wants to broadcast bad news blatantly?

And at least one, and possibly two, recessions.

Probably because they've been a lot less since 2007, obviously, with West Coast inflation, venue issues, certain fan's creative issues, etc. Not a huge stretch of the imagination.

Who wants to broadcast bad news blatantly?

well, honesty is the best policy

Question, is DCI also counting the attendance in the theaters and internet media as well in that figure?

I highly doubt it to be honest

• Like 1

Why would they be included in the attendance?

I don't know "why"....but they are included in reports of total attendance.

Members, staff and VIPs weren't included in the attendance figures. DCI said specifically that "corps and staff members who entered the stadium after performances with wristbands or staff/VIP credentials" were not counted.

HH

Edited by glory

Members, staff and VIPs weren't included in the attendance figures. DCI said specifically that "corps and staff members who entered the stadium after performances with wristbands or staff/VIP credentials" were not counted.

And like I said before, there are other members/staff/VIPs besides just the ones associated with corps that had just performed. I don't know why that's so hard for you to understand.

No. Attendance at a show must be "at the show". Theater attendance is reported separately. For Thursday's show, more people are watching it in theaters than in person.

This is correct - theater attendance is reported separately.

For the 2010 numbers, I remember that Thursday night in the movie theaters was reported at over 38,000 - just in the theaters.

Add in the people in the stands in Indy and you are looking at the single largest drum corps audience for one event in the DCI era - around 45,000. (Certainly larger than the 35,947 flashed on the screen in Montreal in 1981 - if one felt the need to make a comparison.)

I expect that the 2011 theater numbers will be even higher.

Edited by BOBSMYTH

It's not difficult to understand. Members and staff with wristbands and staff/VIPs with credentials weren't counted. Trying to parse the sentence otherwise doesn't make sense. It doesn't make sense with regard to standard English usage (note the repetition of "staff"). Nor does it make sense with regard to counting (how did they arrive at a figure for these non-ticket using, non-wristband wearing, non-creditialed hordes?).

HH

Edited by glory

I highly doubt it to be honest

It is a competitive youth marching band circuit, not UN weapons inspections or Enron. There really isn't that much at stake here in the scheme of things to fudge numbers.

Anyway, why does this even matter to you? Seems you are dead set on DCI and DCI corps not succeeding, that if they rolled back to some specific point in time... they would suddenly hit some magical Renaissance.

When in the history of the universe (other than New Coke... which was a genius marketing stunt, btw) has going backward in time created future success?

Edited by danielray

It's not difficult to understand. Members and staff with wristbands and staff/VIPs with credentials weren't counted. Trying to parse the sentence otherwise doesn't make sense.

Who's parsing now?

The actual wording was not the misleading twist you just posted. It was:

"which does not include corps and staff members who entered the stadium after performances with wristbands or staff/VIP credentials."

Note that VIPs actually aren't even mentioned....only members and staff of corps that had already performed.

If you still don't see this, read up on prepositional phrases.