Paid attendance figures for DCI World Championships

Professional (and big-time college) sports staffs are laden with highly-paid professionals to account for and publicize such things in a professional way. DCI isn't flush in either category. So DCI isn't as polished in this press release stuff. Big whup! That doesn't mean they were padding the numbers with freebie tickets. And exactly how did this secret freebie program work? They sent all the interns to the mall with batches of tickets just so they could report attendance was up 9%. Really?

HH

you're right...I mean it's only LOS staff taking the tickets. Not like they can count :rolleyes:

DCI's very polished. it comes off like reading any big companies spin.

But there are tickets that get scanned in from people that have no lanyard that were not paid for.

I know, I had one last year. So did the 3 people with me

I'm sorry, how is the press release DCI put out vague and ambiguous? Or, without facts and figures?

where does it say paid attendance? for an organization not in the best of financial health, paid attendance helps tell the storyof how finances may be improving.

WWE will claim great attendance to events, but some times they give out tons of ticketsto fill the place.So they say one number on tv, then 2/3 weeks later they release actual paid attendance. You see a difference.

But you also geta more accurate picture of their financial health.

And despite how much they may paper some shows, their books look pretty #### good

where does it say paid attendance? for an organization not in the best of financial health, paid attendance helps tell the storyof how finances may be improving.

WWE will claim great attendance to events, but some times they give out tons of ticketsto fill the place.So they say one number on tv, then 2/3 weeks later they release actual paid attendance. You see a difference.

But you also geta more accurate picture of their financial health.

And despite how much they may paper some shows, their books look pretty #### good

Well, for one, it's preliminary results. Two, when they release results excluding the staffers and such with wristbands, who else is left besides paid attendance?

you're right...I mean it's only LOS staff taking the tickets. Not like they can count :rolleyes:

DCI's very polished. it comes off like reading any big companies spin.

But there are tickets that get scanned in from people that have no lanyard that were not paid for.

I know, I had one last year. So did the 3 people with me

Then tell us about this freebie program.

All of you who are disparaging DCI's 2011 results with inferences about sinister spin from DCI, tell us how DCI is inflating these ticket numbers. Tell us about the hundreds and thousands who stormed Lucas Oil to see free drum corps. Prove to us these were substantial figures. I bet you can't.

And just to prove I'm a fair and honest guy, I'll get you started. DCI this year offered free tickets to two groups: 2010 age-outs and music educators.

It is my contention that neither affected "paid" attendance materially. Now prove me wrong.

HH

All of you who are disparaging DCI's 2011 results with inferences about sinister spin from DCI, tell us how DCI is inflating these ticket numbers. Tell us about the hundreds and thousands who stormed Lucas Oil to see free drum corps. Prove to us these were substantial figures. I bet you can't.

And just to prove I'm a fair and honest guy, I'll get you started. DCI this year offered free tickets to two groups: 2010 age-outs and music educators.

It is my contention that neither affected "paid" attendance materially. Now prove me wrong.

HH

I don't have a dog in this fight, per se, but the Indy residents "free kids" program offered two free tickets to kids under 10 to finals.

I, frankly, applaud this program but it does fit the challenge parameters you laid down pretty well.

HH

the free kids program. last year the DCI official saying "here we have extras".

Look, don't get me wrong, I want DCI to thrive, even if finals is in an echo chamber.

I just want honesty and not PR spin

• Like 2

What is the point of all this?

As of August 14th, the ONLY figures that matter right now are 2012.

How does going on about attendance figures from my grandparents' and parents' day do anything to pop 2012's numbers?

On the topic... in the context of this thread, attendance figures and gross receipts are absolutely meaningless... the only thing that really matters is the net.

DCI is really stepping up to improve the tour events and finals. There is solid progress, especially in a seriously rough economic climate.

It is working. It fits the NOW. There are no lessons to be learned from 1961, 74, 81, etc. Zero from then is applicable now.

Considering that DCP isn't DCI, how does anything we talk about on here have anything to do with how DCI does anything today, yesterday, or tomorrow? blink.gif

This is all just "fun stuff for the kiddies here"... Relax! smile.gif

• Like 1

Considering that DCP isn't DCI, how does anything we talk about on here have anything to do with how DCI does anything today, yesterday, or tomorrow? blink.gif

This is all just "fun stuff for the kiddies here"... Relax! smile.gif

It would just be smart business sense for those who are responsible for the decisions made by DCI to evaluate feedback on their product. There are certain corps directors, like Hop, Bob Jacobs from Surf and Chris K. from Madison (and others, I'm sure), who not only follow DCP, but occasionally post on it. Like it or not, DCP provides that feedback, to some degree. I certainly don't think decisions are or should be made solely on DCP content, but I am willing to bet that certain issues were/are looked at more closely because of discussion on DCP.

First and foremost, the sound issues at LOS. If we had gone home quietly after 2009, and just said to ourselves the sound sucks, guess we'll have to live with it for another 9 yrs., do you think anything would have been done? The fact is, based on feedback from its customers, DCI worked with LOS to help the sound-and for those who were there in 2009 and those who were there this year, there IS an improvement to the sound. Second, the fact that shows were less entertaining...the DCI member corps listened, and this season has seen more entertaining shows than we've seen in a while.

• Like 3