Paid attendance figures for DCI World Championships

Then you're being silly. Quoting DCI:

The attendance for the three-day event totals 36,617, which does not include corps and staff members who entered the stadium after performances with wristbands or staff/VIP credentials.

Like I said (and as this quote proves)....they only exclude members/staff who re-entered after their corps performed.

Edited by audiodb

Turnstyle count? That is ancient stuff.

If they are doing turnstyle counts, seriously... that is some abacus style stuff. I can't imagine anyone does that these days, especially in such a new stadium.

This is true. There are NO turnstyles at Lucas Oil. The count came from ticket scanners, as in people who paid for a ticket. Corps members, staff, VIPs - all were given wristbands and lanyard credentials and were not 'scanned in' for attendance.

Also, the free tickets that were handed out to directors for hosting corps and things were all valid for either Prelims or Semifinals... NOT for Finals. I know, I had one.

You guys can take off your tinfoil hats.

Edited by Lead

Like I said (and as this quote proves)....they only exclude members/staff who re-entered after their corps performed.

no all corps that competed during the week who didn't make finals get wristbands for their members/staff/& support. These people were all let in using the wristbands and were not counted using the ticket bar code reader. So the number for 2011 only includes those ticket holders who entered having their ticket read and not any corps members/staff/or VIPs wearing wristbands.

and as others have stated back in 1981/1982 corps bought tickets at a minimal price for their members and these tickets were counted in the total paid attendance number of those years. so comparing the numbers from both years is futile since they are an apples to oranges comparison.

And I know in the mid 80's when I marched they started using the wristbands for members and thus the reason for the significant drop in paid attendance numbers from those high counts in montreal.

The only foolproof method I've personally found for determining the headcount in stadiums is to count the legs of everyone sitting in their seats, adding the number of legs of those standing in the aisles and tunnels, combining that with the number of legs of people in the lobbies and food lines, employing the computerized matrix analyzer to figure out how many legs are in the bathrooms, putting all that together with the number of legs in the concourses and elevators (as determined by security cameras), subtracting from that the number of legs belonging to people wearing security uniforms and other stadium personnel, and then dividing that total number by two.

Hey I'm in a suite at DCA in 2 weeks. I paid for my seat

It's safe to come back down.... Kris and I won't be in the next section this year.... :devil:

The only foolproof method I've personally found for determining the headcount in stadiums is to count the legs of everyone sitting in their seats, adding the number of legs of those standing in the aisles and tunnels, combining that with the number of legs of people in the lobbies and food lines, employing the computerized matrix analyzer to figure out how many legs are in the bathrooms, putting all that together with the number of legs in the concourses and elevators (as determined by security cameras), subtracting from that the number of legs belonging to people wearing security uniforms and other stadium personnel, and then dividing that total number by two.

This method assumes there are few pirates at the show.

But...

Given that Rick Perry has recently pretty much proven that global warming does not exist, we should reasonably expect the number of pirates to be increasing, rather than decreasing. So, if global warming does not, in fact, exist, it should be pretty safe to say that at least 17% of 2012 ticket holders are likely to be pirates.

• Like 2

no all corps that competed during the week who didn't make finals get wristbands for their members/staff/& support. These people were all let in using the wristbands and were not counted using the ticket bar code reader. So the number for 2011 only includes those ticket holders who entered having their ticket read and not any corps members/staff/or VIPs wearing wristbands.

As I understand it, DCI uses different color-coded wristbands for each championship-week event, to give gate personnel a means to identify who is allowed to enter. In recent years, even uniformed corps members have been required to wear such wristbands on their way in to perform. People from corps who didn't make finals would not have been allowed to sneak into finals through the corps entrances.

Given that Rick Perry has recently pretty much proven that global warming does not exist, we should reasonably expect the number of pirates to be increasing, rather than decreasing. So, if global warming does not, in fact, exist, it should be pretty safe to say that at least 17% of 2012 ticket holders are likely to be pirates.

The ONLY conclusion that one can now deduce is that there is a 100% certainty that this thread has now been officially pirated, shiver me timbers.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

I'll tell you what oldbandguy...If you can find a poster here on DCP that can tell you what the cost of the ticket was for the 1971 VFW Nationals in Dallas... and provide proof of same.... I will personally buy you a Clint Eastwood current movie.

Just don't hold your breath that anyone on here is going to remember the answer to THAT question. ( except take a wild guess )

Couldn't find a ticket but how about a video of the prelim

Edited by blueorginal

As I understand it, DCI uses different color-coded wristbands for each championship-week event, to give gate personnel a means to identify who is allowed to enter. In recent years, even uniformed corps members have been required to wear such wristbands on their way in to perform. People from corps who didn't make finals would not have been allowed to sneak into finals through the corps entrances.

Maybe this is where you're making your mistake. DCI issues passes that cover all three days of the championship event. In the case of members and corps staff, that's a wristband to allow access. In the case of DCI event staff, sponsors, vendors and other such "VIPs," a lanyard with an event pass is provided. Both categories provide access through all three days.

By the way, some of the VIPs and other pass holders have tickets too. I know I have been in this category in the past. In fact, because I used my pass for entry, my ticket wouldn't have been reflected in the turnstyle count. I know others who did the same. In that case, the turnstyle count under-reports paid attendance because we paid but just didn't use our tickets for access (though we did use the seats).

I don't know why DCI chose the language it used. I do know there isn't much ambiguity in the meaning as some are trying to suggest. The 17K figure surely very closely approximates paid attendance. Meanwhile, the figures offered for paid attendance in 1981 surely are "paid." But in as much as the 1981 numbers include many of the categories specifically excluded in 2011, the two numbers are incomparable in this context.

HH

Edited by glory