A new rule proposal

Yet again we the fans or should I say paying customers will be asked to pay top $$$ for an incomplete AV product. I can't speak for everyone but personally I find this whole episode quite scandalous.

In this regard, I propose the following rule…

"No member corps will be allowed to play a piece of music in competition until all the relevant licences have been granted".

C'Mon DCI get your finger out and get this sorted… NOW!

• Like 2

Meh, I'd rather get to see Madison play ESoM live and not have it on the DVD than have them play some other, less awesome closer. Life goes on. Listen to the CDs. Watch on YouTube.

• Like 4

That still doesn't completely resolve the issue.

A couple of years ago in WGI, Rhythm X had the rights to some N'Sync music but the sync rights changed hands due to a merger and then the rights were taken away. I don't recall the companies exactly but I believe it had to do with Sony from what I had been told. I believe this also happened late enough in the process where there wasn't enough time to try to fix it for the production of the dvd.

Basically, if approval gets granted for the rights, it doesn't mean that they can't change their mind and say no at a later date.

• Like 2

that's what happened to Phantom in 2008...after the first batch of dvds went out.

it sucks. if I were the Scouts, I'd go to the artists directly

"No member corps will be allowed to play a piece of music in competition until all the relevant licences have been granted".

If you're saying that all applicable licenses should be secured before the season begins, then I agree with you.

My only problem is that the Madison Scouts secured the licenses they needed. The problem comes that Madison did not NEED to secure a sync license as they had no intention of producing a DVD/BRD of themselves. The Permission to Arrange license was most certainly secured.

Therefore, the Sync license (which provides permission to synchronize video with audio - for DVD/BRD purposes) falls upon the shoulders of whomever is producing and selling the BRD/DVD... which would be Drum Corps International.

It's not Madison's fault, and I'm most certainly glad that - even though it may not make it to the BRD/DVD - I had the opportunity to witness it live performed in true BYBO fashion by the Scouts!

Edited by Lead
  • Like 1

that's what happened to Phantom in 2008...after the first batch of dvds went out.

Yes. A lot of the artist are on face book etc.

If you're saying that all applicable licenses should be secured before the season begins, then I agree with you.

My only problem is that the Madison Scouts secured the licenses they needed. The problem comes that Madison did not NEED to secure a sync license as they had no intention of producing a DVD/BRD of themselves. The Permission to Arrange license was most certainly secured.

Therefore, the Sync license (which provides permission to synchronize video with audio - for DVD/BRD purposes) falls upon the shoulders of whomever is producing and selling the BRD/DVD... which would be Drum Corps International.

It's not Madison's fault, and I'm most certainly glad that - even though it may not make it to the BRD/DVD - I had the opportunity to witness it live performed in true BYBO fashion by the Scouts!

Yes, this is 100% a DCI issue. The BluRay/DVD is DCI's end of season flagship product and therefore it should be DCI's legal duty to ensure that it's complete.

• Like 1

I know... but by saying that "No member corps will be allowed to play a piece of music in competition until all the relevant licenses have been granted", you are effectively punishing a corps' creative process and wishes to preserve something that is, in all honesty, a luxury - that being having a DVD/BRD of their product - when it's not a necessary step for them to take.

Edited by Lead
  • Like 1

Except with modern music the sync licenses are often the domain of the publishing/recording company, and not the artists themselves. Sometimes even THAT wouldn't help.

Yes, this is 100% a DCI issue. The BluRay/DVD is DCI's end of season flagship product and therefore it should be DCI's legal duty to ensure that it's complete.

Well then expect a drop in what DCI can give back to the corps as DCI has to load up on the legal staff to take care of all the corps music rights.

So we would have the corps doing some of the legal paperwork (to perform) and DCI doing other legal paperwork (to sell) on the same music. Overall sounds like more money being spent.

Edited by JimF-LowBari