JD Shaw steps down as Phantom Regiment brass arranger?

----- SCV would possibly offer alot of 'perks' I would think to obtain a quality arranger like JD, who has worked well in the past with the other key caption head, Paul Rennick.

I hesitate to put this on here, but my understanding is that the members were under the impression after Paul left that it was in large part due to a falling out with JD and wanting to move on to a corps with different music.

Whether reality reflects that, I have no way of knowing, as I know neither gentleman personally, but many in the corps seemed to be under such an impression.

All these different predictions are meaningless without an inside knowledge of the dynamics and relationships behind the PEOPLE. Not the drum corps staff members. The real, honest to goodness human beings.

I suspect things wouldn't be so rose colored if such items were aired in public.

You are absolutely correct. Look, not to dampen anyone's spirits, but there have been some major personality conflicts in the Phantom Regiment. The first victim was after the 2006 season (not even the DIRECTOR was safe...!), and Rennick was the biggest name that left. I expect great things from Regiment now that the real problem has (finally) been taken care of.

Mark my words...Rennick and Shaw will NEVER be paired up again.

EDIT: The guy above me is also spot on.

Edited by Room_101
  • Like 1

Well, you know, people have 'personal falling outs' - and get over it. But sometimes, professional fortitude plays best when the persons involved in this are free to develop the music into a theme so it works. I've heard different things where it was 'one way' or no way........ and that wasn't from the brass or perc people either! Never knew the two caption heads had a falling out, but again I STRESS........ I was/am not an insider. Just watched their relationships at many a practice, rehearsal & run throughs is all.

Well, you know, people have 'personal falling outs' - and get over it. But sometimes, professional fortitude plays best when the persons involved in this are free to develop the music into a theme so it works. I've heard different things where it was 'one way' or no way........ and that wasn't from the brass or perc people either! Never knew the two caption heads had a falling out, but again I STRESS........ I was/am not an insider. Just watched their relationships at many a practice, rehearsal & run throughs is all.

You're right, and I hope that, if there are/were problems, they eventually work them out, if for no other reason than because that's just how friends and former coworkers should ideally leave things. No sense carrying around negative feelings.

They certainly created some great music together between the brass and percussion.

And the problems within the PR staff are unfortunate, mostly for the kids. Honestly, from the sounds of it, I don't think if would be terrible if Rick Valenzuela cleaned out a few more spots. But I'm probably overstepping my actual knowledge and understanding with that.

I agree wholeheartedly about personality conflicts! I've heard some wild stories/examples ! (?) I love Phantom, and have been a LONG TIME supporter & phan, and I wish nothing for the best for the corps. I would love to see a change in the BOD. A fresh perspective often starts at the top and influences success all the way down the ladder, that is, if the ladder isn't sawed off with the key people at the top and everyone else at the bottom looking up !

Phantom Regiment seems to be the Godfather of drum corps from an admin/staff perspective...Especially given those who actually control the corps.

I'd certainly hope two adults could run an ensemble rehearsal professionally, by the way. That doesn't mean anything with regards to their personal relationship. Nor does it say anything about them as individuals.

PR is a troubled corps. Beloved, yes. But troubled.

• Like 1

Could it be possible that he just wants a break? why does it have to be a conflict

it will be sad, as it was when Wren left, but knowing Phantom, they'll come out ok,

Unless they hire Crossmens old team

Uh, ouch?

Could it be possible that he just wants a break? why does it have to be a conflict

Because there was one. For many, many years.

Because there was one. For many, many years.

This.

I don't think it's that big of a secret that Phantom has had staffing issues. Perhaps moreso than other corps at their competitive tier. Unfortunate, really.

• Like 1