JD Shaw steps down as Phantom Regiment brass arranger?

Considering how new his account is and how few posts he has, I'm going to guess that's a troll. Don't be a feeder.

Wow. Thanks for the welcome to DCP. I may be an old geezer (mid 80's), but 'troll' doesn't sound like a compliment to me. Doesn't everyone have a first post at some point? I think I'll have these conversations with my fellow alums instead, who probably know what's really going on inside PR anyway. SUTA.

• Like 5

Let's get this topic back to where it needs to be and away from the 'management' does/doesn't do thing..........

It all started when SOMEONE stated that JD & Paul Rennick had a falling out. Hell, I've had major fall outs with fellow staff members I've worked with for 20 years and all is well when we have to literally put a program together (at my church). It happens, people are people, and passionate musicians are at the top of the "I feel strongly that MY idea is better" mantra.

Now............ who wrote the 2001 brass book? It had incredible mellow runs (which JD Is known for) as well as some great brass. Can't recall the name. One thing I DO know, is that Regiment likes to stay in house alot (moreso since 2000 to present) many, many former members are tech's and assistants on tour, and I personally think Will Pitts SHOULD throw his hat in the ring.

He KNOWS the make up of the group, the musical persona of the corps, the management and the history. HE KNOWS how to write! I have copies of his orchestral pieces and they are VERY, Very good! He also has great skills to know the workings of a scores performance being conductor for so many years with Regiment. He's well educated and i think a great fit for Regiment. He's young, vibrant and very professional.

Still can't remember the name of the Arranger in 2001.... Michael Klesch (??) (sp?)

Hmmmmmmmmm....

• Like 1

Now that most of us agree that it is in fact the visual staff who can be less than professional in and out of rehearsal...

...isn't it also interesting that visual is their comparative weak point? Perhaps there is a correlation? :doh:

If you treat the members with the respect they deserve, you will be rewarded with consistent excellence. Thank you Blue Devils and Cavaliers for proving this fact!

they were much stronger visually than musically this year, their feet looked very good.

They have also scored VERY well visually from 05-08, when the emmerts took over.... 09 was just a pile of crap in design which didn't allow them to score well with really anything, and 2010 was ridonkulously difficult drill, which I think they handled pretty well (is 6th in vis performance for a 6th place corps really a weakness???

Nope, Ryan Bybee was definitely on the brass staff but JD Shaw was the caption head for the 2010 season: http://www.regiment....ory/staff10.cfm

2011 was Ryan's first year as brass caption head with PR.

Ryan Bybee played the same role in 2010 as in 2011... the person who was supposed to be caption head (taylor criswell) resigned in the winter and Ryan took over. JD's involvement was about the same in 2010 as in 2011... maybe a little bit more. But yes, basically Ryan Bybee has been caption head the last 2 years...

I really can't believe that people who supposedly marched drum corps are so appalled at some of the comments that are made from staff... these are the sorts of things that, though perhaps serious at the time, kids laugh at down the road.... okay the emmerts can sound big and bad based on how these 'stories' are worded... I can bring about how the big bad vis instructor at crown chased a poor wittle kid all over the field with a hatchet threatening him not to mess up, or similar stories for cadets and other corps that i've heard..... dudes, it's drum corps, and these things are rarely meant to be serious cowboy up! these things turn into hilarious memories, and when you are in the middle of tour, it's not like there is much that phases you.... I mean.. it could be worse... they could not feed the kids or something....

Edited by general_tsos_chicken2
  • Like 1

they were much stronger visually than musically this year, their feet looked very good.

They have also scored VERY well visually from 05-08, when the emmerts took over.... 09 was just a pile of crap in design which didn't allow them to score well with really anything, and 2010 was ridonkulously difficult drill, which I think they handled pretty well (is 6th in vis performance for a 6th place corps really a weakness???

Ryan Bybee played the same role in 2010 as in 2011... the person who was supposed to be caption head (taylor criswell) resigned in the winter and Ryan took over. JD's involvement was about the same in 2010 as in 2011... maybe a little bit more. But yes, basically Ryan Bybee has been caption head the last 2 years...

I really can't believe that people who supposedly marched drum corps are so appalled at some of the comments that are made from staff... these are the sorts of things that, though perhaps serious at the time, kids laugh at down the road.... okay the emmerts can sound big and bad based on how these 'stories' are worded... I can bring about how the big bad vis instructor at crown chased a poor wittle kid all over the field with a hatchet threatening him not to mess up, or similar stories for cadets and other corps that i've heard..... dudes, it's drum corps, cowboy up! these things turn into hilarious memories, and when you are in the middle of tour, it's not like there is much that phases you.... I mean.. it could be worse... they could not feed the kids or something....

Or lawsuits.

• Like 3

Did you even read my post? i added this little gem, "Now, if we are talking about another section, I am sorry for my confusion. But the 2 instructors this whole conversation has been about have been nothing but amazing in and out of rehearsal." No need to get all offensive...

Yes, I read your post. And my post addressed your "gem."

How that is getting "offensive," I'm not quite sure.

Yes, the thread started about JD, then turned into JD and Paul. I understand that the original post about running rehearsals as professionals was referencing JD and Paul. I chose to use to post to make a comment running rehearsals as professionals involving other Regiment staff, which I don't find entirely unrelated. After all, running rehearsals professionally should apply to every member of the staff, not just JD and Paul.

My apologies for not being more clear about whom I was referencing.

And don't take any of my grievances as attacks on the corps or the kids. Those two things are great, phenomenal, top notch. The staff is not doing them the justice they deserve, in my opinion. And I think the post-Spartacus results speak for themselves in regards to how "effective" the current vis staff is with successfully implementing their methodology and philosophy over an extended period of time. It started quite well but isn't holding that trend well at all.

Another topic hijack: I think Regiment is due for another run with black uniforms. Might help bump the visual scores for a bit, as well.

Edited by PhantomCav

Ooooh, another guy with a Shaw and PR background who is in the arranging business and brass business....

Christian Carichner

Hope not.. Hes done great work with the Academy

But does that really make it any better? Disrespect is still disrespect. It certainly doesn't mean that it was better teaching, either.

Hey, all I have to say is if the truth hurts, then do something else over the summer...and I consider myself "fat"! I don't understand why people don't understand the difference between disrespectful and being truthful given various scenarios. My high school band director called someone too fat to march from the box during rehearsal because they were fat. Granted he wasn't around much longer after that, but it was the reality...this person couldn't and wouldn't even try to get it together. Got their attention!!!

Now............ who wrote the 2001 brass book? It had incredible mellow runs (which JD Is known for) as well as some great brass. Can't recall the name. One thing I DO know, is that Regiment likes to stay in house alot (moreso since 2000 to present) many, many former members are tech's and assistants on tour, and I personally think Will Pitts SHOULD throw his hat in the ring.

Still can't remember the name of the Arranger in 2001.... Michael Klesch (??) (sp?)

Hmmmmmmmmm....

Yes the 2001 arranger was Michael Klesch...a man who arranges whole musical phrases and not just junk snippets.

I think (as in this is speculation and I'm not an insider at all) that part of the reason for Klesch and Regiment parting ways was that Regiment was beginning to no longer sound like Regiment.

The 2001 horn book was amazing (and insanely difficult) but the corps was beginning to sound like a young Star of Indiana. That's not bad for most corps, but it is bad if you already have your own sound and identity. A lot of the staff from Regiment that year ended up going to Crown. :rolleyes:

I have heard of other staff leaving for how kids are treated. Having endured John Brazale I can say that they are no where near as hard on kids as what we went through. Then again we weren't a bunch of pamper Sissy's. In fact, as hard as John was, he also had great moments with each of us. It wasn't personal. He carried that intensity with the judges as well.

I'm not suggesting it's right but that it's really not that big a deal. On the flip side I know a corp today that (IMO) aren't hard enough when they need to be. That might be the difference with being in the upper echelon of corps and not making finals.

As far as JD leaving, when he started his new career in New Mexico I knew that was the beginning of the end.

Brazale was funny as hell when he was ######. (Well, so long as it wasn't at me, but I don't think that happened often!) Cesario was even better.