JD Shaw steps down as Phantom Regiment brass arranger?

That's now two years in a row a big name has left regiment....hmmm what's going on there?

I can say this much from a few "words on the street" that I've heard from a few people close to the corps.

1) I haven't heard anything definite, but Shaw likely is bowing out of drum corps completely. He didn't lose his position as caption head/arranger to just be an arranger. He asked for that decrease in workload because he wanted more personal time and time to work on his playing career. With that in mind, he likely decided to just bow out completely. But maybe not.

2) If he ISN'T bowing out completely, I would bet money that he won't end up at SCV. In fact, I would be that would be the last World Class corps he'd go to. Let's just say the rumor was that he and Paul weren't all that close by the time Paul left.

Edited by PhantomCav
  • Like 1

this.....hurts

He'd be a great caption head. They would definitely have a different sound than they do now with him at the helm.

Odd question... did he write the Memphis Sound book when he was there?

Yes he did. He arranged their stuff, and was caption head. I think he could provide a very interesting spin on the classic Phantom brass program....

Edited by fsubone

1) I haven't heard anything definite, but Shaw likely is bowing out of drum corps completely. He didn't lose his position as caption head/arranger to just be an arranger. He asked for that decrease in workload because he wanted more personal time and time to work on his playing career. With that in mind, he likely decided to just bow out completely. But maybe not.

I certainly have no connections, but wanting free-time would be my biggest guess. I don't want to read too much into anything, but he would occasionally post of facebook that he was glad to see his family when he was off tour, etc. Of course, he could've continued to arrange and spend minimal time, but perhaps competitiveness would limit that.

We've seen designers take breaks then come back to their corps - Jay Bocook left during 02-03, Jamey Thompson left during 08-10. Hopefully it's just a brief time out...

Jim Wren steps down as Regiment Brass Arranger OMG, the end of Regiment is near!!!!!! Oh, sorry, J.D. Shaw steps down as Regiment.... Get a grip, Regiment will survive!

Shaw was sort of a Wren protege. Who is Shaw's heir apparent? I mean, they both have a style of right that was great. Shaw is great at being a modern arranger, yet still being cool and true to the music.

Edited by jjeffeory

I'll miss Shaw's work, but hey--Juliet was one hell of a swan song, for the opening alone.

That's now two years in a row a big name has left regiment....hmmm what's going on there?

Transitions.

• Like 2

I see a lot of angst at him leaving PR, and I'm as big a PR fan as any casual fan. But I heard the same threads about the drumline and they seemed to have made huge progress under a new leader.

While I certainly hope JD stays in the activity because I love his arrangements, my biggest anticipation is for PR. It's a special breed that arranges classical well so, when they find a replacement, you can be sure it's going to be a great arranger. Could be a breath of fresh air that PR would welcome and might, in fact, launch them upward to a solidly higher level.

I'm staying psyched about it because the sky didn't fall on PR's drumline; I think the staff can handle the change. Easily.

• Like 1