Kilts had a woman DM in 2000: Kate...very classy DM.

As a former Kiltie, I do not think they should do away with the Kilts...but I believe they need to redesign the uniform....move away from the military kilt with spats and move toward a "peasant" wrap kilt with ankle-high, light-weight leather boots. it is not their posture that is bad...no worse than some other corps; it is not their feet..no worse than some other corps...heck, last year, I saw a lot of folks in other corps out of step, with bad feet and out of sync..but the black shoes and black bibs hid the errors. I love the Kilts...but they need to do something to get out of those spats. Having said that, their is nothing more beautiful at night than seeing the spats come onto the field...well, maybe the Cabs kick pleats...and maybe, well....Hallie Barrie in Catwoman....other than that.....

quote name='BrassMember' timestamp='1313904116' post='3072624']

(my first review)

It was a fantastic night for drum corps! Not too hot when the show started and it cooled off more and more as the night went on. Four corps in competition... High Country Brass, Govies, Kilties and MBI. Ark Thunder was to attend but backed out last minute. I would say the stands were about 3/4 full, down from previous years it seems. Now to the review...

High Country Brass:

First off I just want to thank these guys for coming all this way, could not have been easy for a smaller corps!

Hippy themed show which was sold by the colorguard and pit who were wearing tie dye clothes and other hippy styles. Overall HCB was alright, they were pretty clean overall but could use some work. The CG work was rather simple and could use a lot more difficulty. I am not a drumline guy so I wont say much but I did notice not all DL members were holding their sticks the same when not playing. Hornline has some talented players in it which was showcased by.... A LOT of solos. However, when the soloists played, the rest of the hornline was playing too and totally covered up the solo. Dynamically the HL didnt change much...seemed to be a one dynamic show. Again, thanks you HCB for coming this far to perform! I hope this corps grows and adds more difficulty and emotion in the future!

Govenaires:

FANTASTIC. This is such a fun show to watch. Lots of laughter from the crowd. The guard sells the vegas theme so well, especially in the closer. John Mayer is well... John Mayer! Hornline is solid, there is 1 lead trumpet who carries the show, great but I wish it was a little more balanced (tuba duet(s) = favorite part of show). I noticed one hole but it the member was on the sidelines in uni, jumping in and out of the parts he knew. Even he was standing on the sidelines jamming out to the show! Great show Govies, good luck in NY!

Kilties:

Oh how I wish they would do away with the kilts! Yet I get that its their history so I understand. I love how they enter the field, straight line from goal line to the 50. Ill be honest and say I did not pay too much attention to the guard in this show, sorry. Hornline...love the Gs. But tuning seemed to be an issue at some points in the show. Great trumpet solo. Visually the corps needs work. Mostly with slides, upper bodies got rather...squished with a lot of the members. Also if someone can clarify, have the Kilties ever had a female head DM before? Good job Kilties, keep working!

Minnesota Brass:

OK Ill try not to be too bias with this one :tongue:

I LOVE the theme for this show and the intro with the ship sets the mood right away. They are marching a few holes at the moment but from what I hear they are all accounted for. Looking at the music rep for this show makes you think but they make it work. Drumline is rather good, found myself watching them a lot and Im not a DL kind of guy. CG really seems to be coming along nicely and really sell the show. Hornline is powerful and seems to be working hard to defend their title. With all that being said, they do need work with the visual. There seems to be more body work than past years and timing with said work varies between members. There were also a few rather obvious mental errors a few times (all corps did have a few of these). If they continue to clean the visual in the show it has a great shot for the title IMHO. Great show MBI!

Minne Brass played while scores were being tabulated but Im not going to write a review for that.

SCORES:

1.Minnesota Brass 93.10

2.Govenaires 84.55

3.Kilties 78.90

4.High Country Brass 69.70

Encore: MBI

(These thought are my own and not my corps)

Having said that, their is nothing more beautiful at night than seeing the spats come onto the field...well, maybe the Cabs kick pleats...and maybe, well....Hallie Barrie in Catwoman....other than that.....

I vote for the Caballeros pleats, especially the ones the Alumni Corps wears.

Edited by Vanguard Rich

the black shoes and black bibs hid the errors...

they need to do something to get out of those spats.

I've been hoping for the same thing for many seasons. I've always felt the kilts are a great part of the corps' identity, but they don't really fit into the competitive arena of the "weekend warrior" drum corps world. The same can be said for spats. When the Kilties were a DCI corps, they had months of daily 8 hour reharsals to clean every single step of the show. In the world of DCA, you just don't have that kind of time to teach marching technique and clean the drill.

Many times I've suggested taking the current uniform as is and reserving it for concerts and parades, where there isn't the competitive aspect to consider. But when you're going to get a score put to your performance, you need to do everything possible to help your own cause. Show your strengths and do your best to hide the things you don't do as well. I think a move to black pants and black shoes with some type of a short sash on one side of the body (opposite the shoulder tartan) would improve the visual image/scores of the corps, but still allow the tartan to be displayed as well regardless of which direction the member was facing. Maybe even putting a chevron on the front of the uniform similar to what is on the back of our corps' jackets.

I'm sure there are few uniform designers our there that could come up with a pretty slick design. And no, I don't want "trendy" mismatched uniforms like the Garfield Holy Name Cadets of Bergen Co Hopkins Inc. We did that in 2003 when the corps membership outgrew our qty of uniforms. One time was enough for that... :-)

I'm sure I'm in the minority of the membership with this view, but keep in mind that just a few years ago the corps didn't even wear the full uniform for parades, just white shirts with the kilt. So proposed changes can happen, but some take longer than others, and some never happen at all. Time will tell and you never say never.

See you in Ra-cha-cha! I'll be the one wearing the spats and kilt.

:tongue:

Ryan J

• Like 1

I think calls to have the Kilties stop wearing kilts are a bit premature. It is perhaps the most distinctive uniform in drum corps. Visual weaknesses only seem to be a problem in years where the marchers are not as strong or like this year when there are a lot of rookies. Typically the uniform is more of an asset than weakness. i guarantee that if you switch the Kilties to another bibber wearing unit, they will lose any cachet they have. In fact I would not be surprised if there was a negative backlash from a move like that.

I dont think its a bad idea to look at ways to mitigate the spats, but losing the kilt would be a horrible idea.

If we traded our kilts for pants would we then be called, "The Panties?"

Edited by BUCKINGFRONCO
  • Like 1

Yes, they are...... "Sombrero" in Spanish, means hat (shade)..... in DCA, EVERYONE, save for Renegades and Empire Statesmen, wear sombreros. Just like "cowboy" hat, it is generic.

In English, when we say sombrero we have an image of the very wide Mexican hat that is more like the sombreros worn by The Matadors.

I love The Cavaliers' and Phantom Regiment's sombreros........

"Rump" also has two meanings, as in "The bari at the end of the pinwheel better move his rump faster during the RUMPS."

Joe Dz in NJ

Sombrero (en Español) refers specifically to hats with brims (which give shade -- thus the origin of the word).

In English it refers to the very wide brim Mexican hat everyone is familiar with.

So Cavies wear a sombrero - PR does not. But ONLY if we were speaking Spanish.

IMHO the generic term for the headwear the Cabs use would be "Spanish Gaucho" style hat.

Edited by corpsband

Getting rid of the Kilts was a opinion, doesn't make it right. It's something that no one else has, if anything, own it more and find more ways to make that unique item work for you. that would be my take on it.

Getting rid of the Kilts was a opinion, doesn't make it right. It's something that no one else has, if anything, own it more and find more ways to make that unique item work for you. that would be my take on it.

I agree.

The kilts are unique to them and it gives DCA variety.

BUT...

Like the OP said, visual it ruins them. If they can find a way to make the kilt give them an advantage like you said then great! Until then I too would have to vote to lose the kilts.

Sombrero (en Español) refers specifically to hats with brims (which give shade -- thus the origin of the word).

In English it refers to the very wide brim Mexican hat everyone is familiar with.

So Cavies wear a sombrero - PR does not. But ONLY if we were speaking Spanish.

IMHO the generic term for the headwear the Cabs use would be "Spanish Gaucho" style hat.

Estoy corregida en Phantom Regimiento no ser sombreros y estoy de acuerdo con Gaucho también.... Aunque, ya que les hemos visto desde 1950, también podemos llamar a ese estilo de "Caballero."

(I stand corrected on Phantom Regiment NOT being sombreros and I agree with Gaucho as well.... although, since we've seen them since 1950, we may as well call that style "Caballero.")

Joe.