Now That Soloists are Plugged-in

I hate the mic'ed soloist. If your soloist can't project, Let the next man (or woman) play it!

• Like 3

:tongue::smile::laughing::bigsmile:

Maybe Teal could actually fly in an authentic Zulu Witch Doctor to play the African percussion. That would be cool.

How about exploring the sound of a guillotine blade hitting wood as an added texture and color. (Amped of course) Would be a great Pit addition. :giljotiini:

Another suggestion. Let's change the name of D.C.I. to C.O.A. (Corps of America- A wholey ownned subsidiary of Bands of America)

Why have limits?

Right: it has EVERYTHING to do with the soloist and absolutely nothing to do with orchestration of accompaniment, staging, visual demands, etc... :rolleyes:

Right: It has everything to do with the soloist and nothing to do with electronics. Orchestration of accompaniment, staging, visual demands, etc. . . were not being discussed here.

Right: It has everything to do with the soloist and nothing to do with electronics. Orchestration of accompaniment, staging, visual demands, etc. . . were not being discussed here.

Sorry: I was being facetious in the face of either huge egoism or naivety that modern soloists in corps who chose to mic them are somehow less of a musician than those soloist who marched in the days before mic'ing soloists.

Given your comment above I can only assume that you know very little about modern show design elements, and don't realize the complexity of orchestration and visual design that might make it beneficial to mic a soloist, as opposed to being 'handcuffed' or limited in design options. If you're the sort of audience member who will completely write off the effect of a solo, as well as the musical capabilities of a soloist, just because of a microphone, then no amount of logical reasoning will matter anyway so enjoy your VHS tapes and records (or whatever media you use to relive the glory days of whatever era of drum corps you deem legit, or best, or whatever).

Yes, what was done in the past was awesome, and designers made things worth given the rules of the era. Now-a-days things are awesome and designers make things work given he rules of this era.

Sorry: I was being facetious in the face of either huge egoism or naivety that modern soloists in corps who chose to mic them are somehow less of a musician than those soloist who marched in the days before mic'ing soloists.

Given your comment above I can only assume that you know very little about modern show design elements, and don't realize the complexity of orchestration and visual design that might make it beneficial to mic a soloist, as opposed to being 'handcuffed' or limited in design options. If you're the sort of audience member who will completely write off the effect of a solo, as well as the musical capabilities of a soloist, just because of a microphone, then no amount of logical reasoning will matter anyway so enjoy your VHS tapes and records (or whatever media you use to relive the glory days of whatever era of drum corps you deem legit, or best, or whatever).

Yes, what was done in the past was awesome, and designers made things worth given the rules of the era. Now-a-days things are awesome and designers make things work given he rules of this era.

What was done in the past IS still awesome. A certain amount of egoism is required to play a good solo (with or without a mike :shutup: ). If you are looking for complexity of orchestration why not move the show into a theather were there are many more electrical outlets and you can do visual design to your heart's content. I am the sort of audience member who appreciates a terrific brass/drum line that can stand on it's own two feet (playing ability). I don't see that as handcuffed.

• Like 1

Quick, everyone that's actually performed in Lucas Oil or one of the big domes, raise your hand. (hand goes up). If you've performed there, you know how hard the playing and listening environment is. With the shows being designed for the domes, it's easier to design to mic the soloists so they can perform best in that environment.

• Like 1

Why have limits?

Limits define what we are. It distinguishes one group from another group. A Fife and Drum Corps is different from a Drum and Bugle Corps is different than a British Brass Band is different from The Ohio State Marching Band is different from a general marching band. All of these groups have limits on age, instrumentation, and style making them special.

Now, there's no need to have limits, but understand that without limits it is difficult to make distinctions.

Quick, everyone that's actually performed in Lucas Oil or one of the big domes, raise your hand. (hand goes up). If you've performed there, you know how hard the playing and listening environment is. With the shows being designed for the domes, it's easier to design to mic the soloists so they can perform best in that environment.

Quick, everyone that's actually recorded in Lucas Oil or one of the big domes, raise your hand. (hand goes up). If you've recorded there, you know that mics also pick up the surrounding noise in a dome, which renders them less effective (whether they're used for recording or for amplifying soloists). You also know that amplifying anything in a drum corps achieves an intended change in balance only for viewers situated where the speakers are aimed (i.e. the press box); for everyone else (i.e. the audience), balance can be worse due to soloists playing softer and relying on speakers to compensate.

Me! I'll raise my hand too

...and disagree with you! Mic'd soloists aren't necessary in a dome unless it's a woodwind instrument. I could hear a trumpet solo from 20 yards behind the soloist in the dome, no problem. I'm positive the people he was pointing to could hear him even better. It's not a big deal, but I don't agree with your logic.