Corps Songs

The Cadets' corps song is "O Holy Name"

Philip Bliss is just a cool thing that was in the 1993 show, and that the hornline has been playing for the past five or so years. There have been a number of tunes over the years that the corps has played from its history such as Philip Bliss, Cadillac of the Skies, Almighty Father, the last 30 seconds of Rocky Point Holiday, Liquid, etc.

While there was no "official" corps song for VK BITD, "Dashboard Jesus" was pretty popular in the early 70's. Might be better qualified as a "bus song".

Garry in Vegas

I would like to know when and how each corps uses their corps song. Crossmen's Russian has no lyrics, so they can't sing it. The Cadets sing before performances and other occasions. I think the Colts age-outs play it for the corps during the last week of the season. I'm not sure but I don't think Surf plays or sings theirs, it is just the corps song.

So, do you sing your songs? Play it? A few times each summer? Often?

Phantom Regiment doesn't have an official corps song in the way that other corps have. This has been a common misconception throughout the years because there are so many "classics" associated with the corps.

The Troopers corps song is traditionally sung before every show. I'm not actually sure if it is still done this way. I even remember once singing the song while going onto the field after were were late for a show and had rushed through warmups.

Mandarins have a chorale section from "Year of the Dragon", part 2 by Philip Sparke.

Like the Crossmen's song, it doesn't have words, so we can't sing it. It's most commonly used in the lot as a loud, beautiful, reverent chorale that inspires each corps member to think about their purpose and identity.

After completing our final rehearsal before quarters/prelims, the hornline surround the ageouts and plays Year of the Dragon for them. By the end, there are few dry eyes. (I'm not sure if this has been changed to semis now that 25 go on.)

(edited for conciseness)

Edited by rootofthechord

...am I allowed to reveal one if the corps doesn't have the rights to the piece yet?

Technically the Glassmen's corps song is fully titled "Madre de la Tierra." Sorry for being "that guy."

In years past it was also "Just a Gigolo" and a few others as well. Maybe my G-fam can help me out here

Blue Knights sing "I Go On" before every performance

Pacific Crest plays "Ave Maria" every good once in a while

Blue Stars do "Jewish Chorale". In 1977, 78, and i believe 1 other year i just cant think of the year off hand, they performed the Israeli National Anthem "Hatikvah". The Blue Stars "Jewish Chorale" I believe was then later an arrangement of the main theme of Schindler's List, "Hatikvah The Hope", which was John Williams arrangement of the "Hatikvah". Up until 2010, we just played or sang our parts for the Chorale. Then in 2010 Howard Weinstein and probably a few others came up with lyrics.