Vanguard Brass Staff.

Visual staff? Drill writer, I thought, not vis staff.

Ah, you're correct. I was wrong. The drill designer/writer, not the visual staff. Sorry! I don't want to start any other rumors.

I am glad SCV is making the changes to brass staff because their hornline was disasterous from beginning to end this year and does not represent this corps' great brass tradition.

Um, what? I'm sure thousands of people beg to differ about the hornline being "disastrous" from beginning to end this year. Posts like these are totally unnecessary and it really makes me sad to see that there are people involved in this activity that would say something like that about another corps.

I've got a lot more to say about posts like these, but I won't because I don't feel like wasting my time right now. Last thing I'm gunna say is this: listen to SCV's ballad from this year and tell me that that hornline was disastrous and doesn't represent this corps' amazing brass traditions. I don't think you'll be able to. Tons of people got crazy chills and teared up during SCV's show this year. Since that's the case, I'd say that this show totally represents SCV's great traditions.

• Like 6

Um, what? I'm sure thousands of people beg to differ about the hornline being "disastrous" from beginning to end this year. Posts like these are totally unnecessary and it really makes me sad to see that there are people involved in this activity that would say something like that about another corps.

I've got a lot more to say about posts like these, but I won't because I don't feel like wasting my time right now. Last thing I'm gunna say is this: listen to SCV's ballad from this year and tell me that that hornline was disastrous and doesn't represent this corps' amazing brass traditions. I don't think you'll be able to. Tons of people got crazy chills and teared up during SCV's show this year. Since that's the case, I'd say that this show totally represents SCV's great traditions.

There are PLENTY of people who would agree with Corbin's statement about SCV's brass staff this past year. I am certainly one of them. Many alumni and members of the felt the same way, hence the change. It is my understanding that Jeff Fiedler and Denise had no intention at all of changing brass staff again, but instead were mandated to do so. I do not know that for sure, but I could definitely see that being the case with how things were going for the horn line this year.

Did the ballad sound decent at points? Yes. Was it without error? No. Did the rest of the show sound anywhere close to the ballad in regards to quality of performance? No, absolutely not. I would, without hesitation say that this last year did not represent the great brass traditions of SCV's past. I wish that was not the case, but in my opinion it is true

• Like 5

Um, what? I'm sure thousands of people beg to differ about the hornline being "disastrous" from beginning to end this year.

*Devil's Advocate:

At Prelims, SCV's brass placed eleventh. 11th PLACE!!

At Semis & Finals SCV's brass scored better, but still 8th place.

It's no stretch to surmise that SCV's poor brass performance led to their 7th & 10th place Music Effect scores in Prelims, their 7th & 8th Music Effect in Semis, and their 9th and 7th in Music GE in Finals.

I agree that perhaps "disastrous" is a bit of hyperbolic over-reaction, but unquestionably SCV had problems last season in brass. It seems SCV as an organization has been aggressive to upgrade their percussion program last off-season, and they look to do the same this off-season with their brass caption. If the brass staff changes yield the same results as the percussion staff changes, then Vanguard fans will have an even more exciting season in 2012 than they did in 2011.

• Like 2

It is my understanding that Jeff Fiedler and Denise had no intention at all of changing brass staff again, but instead were mandated to do so.

I'm just curious then from whom such a authoritative command such as a mandate would originate?

• Like 1

*Devil's Advocate:

At Prelims, SCV's brass placed eleventh. 11th PLACE!!

At Semis & Finals SCV's brass scored better, but still 8th place.

It's no stretch to surmise that SCV's poor brass performance led to their 7th & 10th place Music Effect scores in Prelims, their 7th & 8th Music Effect in Semis, and their 9th and 7th in Music GE in Finals.

I agree that perhaps "disastrous" is a bit of hyperbolic over-reaction, but unquestionably SCV had problems last season in brass. It seems SCV as an organization has been aggressive to upgrade their percussion program last off-season, and they look to do the same this off-season with their brass caption. If the brass staff changes yield the same results as the percussion staff changes, then Vanguard fans will have an even more exciting season in 2012 than they did in 2011.

I honestly feel bad for SCV's (now former) brass staff...They did not get a chance to prove themselves. You can only go just so far with the talent level you are dealt(not implying anything here). This staff change most likely will turn out well for SCV in the end...Bloo's brass was indeed no joke and a force to recon with, but I really think staff longevity as clearly demonstrated by Blue Devils and The Cadets has proven to be a much better success formula IMO.

• Like 1

I'm just curious then from whom such a authoritative command such as a mandate would originate?

Could have been lots of folks. BOD for one. It also could have been members of the design team. How do you think Key Poulan felt about his book being played the way it was? I know some folks on here don't think much of Key, but regardless of what you think of his arrangements I imagine he didn't like how they were being interpreted. Also, how do you think Paul Rennick felt about the drums being hung out to dry by the horn line in regards to ensemble balance? There are its lots of folks that could have forced Feidler's hand.

I honestly feel bad for SCV's (now former) brass staff...They did not get a chance to prove themselves. You can only go just so far with the talent level you are dealt(not implying anything here). This staff change most likely will turn out well for SCV in the end...Bloo's brass was indeed no joke and a force to recon with, but I really think staff longevity as clearly demonstrated by Blue Devils and The Cadets has proven to be a much better success formula IMO.

This is obviously true. However, BD & The Cadets don't just have great staff retention, they retain GREAT staff. There is a difference. Who cares if you have have retain staff that isn't very good or is't the right fit. I am not going to say that SCV's brass staff isn't very good (that is debatable, I have my opinions of course, but it is debatable), but I think it is pretty safe to say that their staff wasn't the right fit for the organization. It sucks that SCV has had so many changes in brass staff the last 7 years. Without a doubt it has had a very negative effect on the organization, but it was pretty obvious to me that the guys they had this last year were not going to work for that corps.

Without a doubt it has had a very negative effect on the organization, but it was pretty obvious to me that the guys they had this last year were not going to work for that corps.

Well if so, you apparently knew a heck of a lot more than the SCV Corps Director and the SCV BOD did that hired this SCV staff. I don't recall anyone on here complaining about these hires when they were made. But I have a short memory and attention span sometimes too, so its quite possible that a lot of people like you knew that Fielder and the BOD made bad hires at SCV at the time these people were hired and that ( quote) " it was pretty obvious that the guys they hired last year were not going to work " for SCV.

Question for SCV fans and alums:... At what point does the current SCV Corps Director and the current SCV Board of Directors take ownership of, and responsibility for, what has apparently been an unusual revolving door of hires, terminations, resignations and multiple staff turnovers at SCV the last several years ?

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

Well if so, you apparently knew a heck of a lot more than the SCV Corps Director and the SCV BOD did that hired this SCV staff. I don't recall anyone on here complaining about these hires when they were made. But I have a short memory and attention span sometimes too, so its quite possible that a lot of people like you knew that Fielder and the BOD made bad hires at SCV at the time these people were hired and that ( quote) " it was pretty obvious that the guys they hired last year were not going to work " for SCV.

Question for SCV fans and alums:... At what point does the current SCV Corps Director and the current SCV Board of Directors take ownership of, and responsibility for, what has apparently been an unusual revolving door of hires, terminations, resignations and multiple staff turnovers at SCV the last several years ?

Sorry, I was unclear in my previous statement. What I should have said was "It was clear that the brass staff would not work AFTER seeing their work this past summer..." I was not saying that I knew this was going to happen all along. However, I do remember seeing on here some folks that were pretty reticent about their hire and how those guys would mix with the vanguard traditions and Paul Rennick's approach though.