Hurricanes Color Guard

Did you see the other guard Finals night?!?!?!? Hurricanes "sloppy" weaponline was tons better than any other weaponline on the field. Flagline/whole guard Flag moments... Flawless.

yes and as I said theres much more to an entire package than just being clean...clean yes..but there is alot more

Im not agreeing or disagreeing...........although some other posters feel I challenged them...lmao....just stating how the caption may be viewed.....

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 1

First let me say I did not see finals. I don't think anyone could argue that DCA had some of the best corps color guards I have ever seen in DCA, this year. So many have mentioned that a standard has been set by some corps over the years that have caused others to step it up and bring their A game. As for color guard alone, we can all thank the Hurcs design team and color guard performers for setting a new standard of color guard in DCA. I was blown away by Hurcs guard in their prelims performance I saw online, however I would note that Bucs guard, MBI's guard and Hurcs guard were all comparable from a design stand point and brought some element to the table that worked well to enhance the over all programs. I don't think anyone is questioning Hurcs guards degree of excellence/achievement. In fact they did win the achievement sub caption both nights, right? However, just like the general effect caption the composition sub caption for guards can be subjective and call on that particular judges experiences and values to come to a conclusion. Excellence/achievement is for the most part easier to rank and rate compared to placing a compositional numerical value to what you are seeing. Lets see you have color, staging, costuming, dancing, equipment writing that are all compositional elements (and I am missing many more). What I saw was three color guards that did all of that very, very well. With just the compositional elements I mentioned I can honestly say that all three guards had one or more of those elements stronger than the other.

My point is that I can not say with any certainty that the color guard judge was right or wrong, that he only had his experience and values to call on to come to a conclusion for what he beleived to be the "performance of the day"! I would not have wanted to do it because quite frankly they were all pretty darn good! As some one who has performed, taught and judged color guard, I am certain that all the performers and staffs could not be more proud of what they accomplished!

Best regards to all the performers in all the corps for making this DCA season so enjoyable for me to watch!

The Hurricane's guard was absolutely beautiful. So were several other corps. No guard had a perfect show. I have to ask, is the "emotional depth" of a show a factor? I ask because there is only so much you can do with Gershwin. I do not sense a range of elements such as danger, loss, triumph or transcendence in the show as presented by the Hurricanes. (THAT IS NOT A FAULT) I'm simply asking whether this factor is present in the adjudication process.

The Hurricane's guard was absolutely beautiful. So were several other corps. No guard had a perfect show. I have to ask, is the "emotional depth" of a show a factor? I ask because there is only so much you can do with Gershwin. I do not sense a range of elements such as danger, loss, triumph or transcendence in the show as presented by the Hurricanes. (THAT IS NOT A FAULT) I'm simply asking whether this factor is present in the adjudication process.

what someone does with it is a factor..the what and the how

I would certainly hope so! I would think those are compositional elements programed to play a role in the presentation of the show. All those things you mention create a mood. So yes, I believe they are a factor in the process. IMO

What caught my eye about Hurcs wasn't the drops, but the Recovery after the drops. It seemed as if they weren't smooth and the performers didn't hide their emotions well

• Like 1

I've been out of DCA for quite a while but I'm surprised that the issue with the CG caption award and its definition still remains somewhat "elusive". Some things never change!! LOL!!! In the meantime, congratulations to all the participants in the 2011 championships.

Jeannette (Chambers) Blackman

Bushwackers 1984 - 1995

All I will say is that in the final analysis, it was a difference of one tenth and while it must sting terribly, it doesn't take anything away from the fact that the Hurcs guard was incredible this season

Edited by Fastone

So, I'm a brass guy. Go out, play your brains out and the chips will fall. From everything I've read here, I wouldn't want the job of scoring a guard performance. So many subjective variables! So you call it as you see it as a professional with tons of experience yet you are very open to criticism.

For MBI, I'm glad they received some recognition in the guard against what most posters are saying was some of the best in history. So what that it was just for one night. Anyone who follows sports knows that in the final game it isn't always the team with the most talent that wins. But seriously I think MBI's guard has been up there for a while and its great to see them get some recognition. Hopefully they can build on this and stay up there. Then, maybe some year people will talk about them as they have the Hurcs guard during the season. And, no one can take that away from the Hurcs guard.

Did this make sense? As I said I'm not a guard guy.

So, I'm a brass guy. Go out, play your brains out and the chips will fall. From everything I've read here, I wouldn't want the job of scoring a guard performance. So many subjective variables! So you call it as you see it as a professional with tons of experience yet you are very open to criticism.

For MBI, I'm glad they received some recognition in the guard against what most posters are saying was some of the best in history. So what that it was just for one night. Anyone who follows sports knows that in the final game it isn't always the team with the most talent that wins. But seriously I think MBI's guard has been up there for a while and its great to see them get some recognition. Hopefully they can build on this and stay up there. Then, maybe some year people will talk about them as they have the Hurcs guard during the season. And, no one can take that away from the Hurcs guard.

Did this make sense? As I said I'm not a guard guy.

Yes, it did. I don't think anyone here is saying MBI didn'thave a good guard, just not the best guard that night. I'll have to go with the majority on this one. Saw just about every Open Class Corps both night and felt it should have, without a doubt, gone to Hurricanes.