Is Madison the new Crown?

i didn't read anything except the OP for this thread, but didn't madison win a couple of championships?

yeah the op's point was settled early in the thread but the topic eventually crept to staff changes at madison and what impact they would make. all very civilized with most of the posters - just a few in the red button brigade who are a little..errr...enthusiastic in their "support" of the corps.

Edited by corpsband
  • Like 1

and right on cue the chief of the MADMEN red minus brigade posts doh.gif

LOL Again! I'm a girl, genius!

• Like 1

Oh dear God, June can't get here soon enough

Really,

Six more months of this banter whew!

Madison Scouts is the new Madison Scouts. :thumbup:

actually, I think it would be more accurate to say Madison Scouts are the Old Madison Scouts.

Excuse me? Tone WHAT down! I stated a FACT about the geographic location of the Madison Scouts. Then, I commented on how Madison has been "dancing" in their show for decades - which is ALSO a "FACT". Then I get blasted by some guy for posting my thoughts after being on here for a day. I've done NOTHING wrong!

Oh, sorry, maybe nobody told you, you have to receive clearance from the brotherhood and submit your comments regarding the Scouts for approval prior to posting in order to avoid being put under a microscope and labeled a hater.

• Like 3

The Madison Scouts have nothing to prove. Their reputation has been well established in the Drum Corps world. I mean come on....who the hell never heard of the Madison Scouts?

Yes they do. This isn't the 1990s anymore.

I've enjoyed the Scouts recently as much as the next guy. They have been very entertaining and fun to watch. However, they have a ton to prove with regard to consistent design and execution. The Scouts have been a competitive non-factor for a little over a decade. They're not there yet.

Edited by contrajedi8
  • Like 5

In 2007, he Madison Scouts were actively apologizing to their alumni base for the quality of the on-field product. Fast forward to 2011 and the Scouts are not only back in Finals but a consistent crowd favorite. Prior to a competitive fall, the Scouts were a dominant force in DCI.

Explain how this is anything like Carolina Crown again? :eh:

• Like 6

In 2007, he Madison Scouts were actively apologizing to their alumni base for the quality of the on-field product. Fast forward to 2011 and the Scouts are not only back in Finals but a consistent crowd favorite. Prior to a competitive fall, the Scouts were a dominant force in DCI.

Explain how this is anything like Carolina Crown again? :eh:

Ooh, ooh, my turn, my turn.

The way I look at it is like this. Crown has been around since 1990. It ws not until 2003 that they started doing programs that were designed at a very high level. Prior to that, they had some nice shows, such as the Chess show and the Jekyll and Hyde show, in my opinion. Since 2004 they have ALMOST been consistent. 2004 was ok, lackluster and full of cheese but creative. 2005 was a cool show. 2006 was a step back in my opinion. 2007 til present have been good, great even at moments, but still lacking in some captions, which is why the title has never come their way.

Take the Madison Scouts now. DCI finalist from 1973 until 2001. 2 world championships. Many other strong finishes. Since 2002, missed finals several times. Forced a director to retire. Brought in a group of people that virtually bankrupted the corps. Came close to the end after a pitiful show in 2006.

Had a reunion corps.

Started allowing alumni to come to rehearsal again instead of just sending letters begging for money like they did from 2003-2006. Paid off debt.

In 2007 started an attempt to bring back their alumni and fanbase that the powers that be virtually disbanded from 2003-2006.

Made several attempts at getting design on track from 2007-2009.

In 2010 brought in an all-star staff(no pun intended) to help re-establish the brand.

And have been successful.

So no, they're not the "new Crown." They're just an old friend coming home.

As for the references to being the new Crown, I think that's a lazy way of people saying, "Hey, I didn't watch drum corps before 2001, so I never knew that Madison is one of the oldest and most successful corps in history. I just thought they were some group, because all my opinions started in 2001 and are based solely on what the judges say are 'top 12' corps in the last 10 years."

That's the way I look at it.

• Like 3