As to the President's Remarks - The Cadets are a Marching Band

Well, it was uttered...by the ruler of the free world. I bet if I asked him that he would want it worded differently.

So...let's talk drum corps vs. marching band.

This will be a short topic, because ALL DRUM CORPS are MARCHING BANDS. Now, that is to say the corrolary to this is untrue...ALL MARCHING BANDS are NOT DRUM CORPS.

But, to be fair, what the President's speech writers got wrong was this and ONLY THIS. The Cadets are no longer from Bergen County as they may have been the last time they performed for a President. They are from Allentown, PA. So, on the critique of the remarks, President Obama's speechwriter is minus one and not minus two.

And, I believe introducing The Cadets as a marching band helps introduce new people to our summertime marching activity because they instantly can see the quality of this marching band to the others they have witnessed in the past. They may want to know how do they come see this kind of marching band.

• Like 2

Political content removed - Geoff

and see, you had to make this political...which, is of course against DCP rules.

It's not about politics. It's about a speech writer who got the information from some old copy in the WH. The Cadets are a frequent performer for the WH, by the way. Anyway, I am quite postive a conversation may have gone something like that.

Speechwriter #1 - what's a drum corps?

Intern #1 - I'll look it up. Maybe there's some You Tube on it. Types in Cadets and drum corps. "It looks like marching band."

Speechwriter #1 - then call it marching band. Moving on.

Edited by Geoff

and see, you had to make this political...which, is of course against DCP rules.

It isn't about politics. What I'm saying is that one man isn't the decider.

Boogers and wasabi look the same, sometimes they have the same texture, they can both be added to food. Hell, on the most basic level, they are a lot of the same things.

Boogers and wasabi are two different things. Period.

If I saw a video I might not be able to tell the difference between boogers and wasabi. But they are different.

It isn't about politics. What I'm saying is that one man isn't the decider.

Boogers and wasabi look the same, sometimes they have the same texture, they can both be added to food. Hell, on the most basic level, they are a lot of the same things.

Boogers and wasabi are two different things. Period.

If I saw a video I might not be able to tell the difference between boogers and wasabi. But they are different.

And on this you and I disagree. Drum corps is always going to be a band (which by the way, chooses to restrict some instrumentation and) which chooses to move when they play. And I would be in the 97% of the world in this.

• Like 1

And I would be in the 97% of the world in this.

You say that like it is important, or good.

97% of people thinking anything, has no bearing, on the actuality of something.

97% of people have believed the world was flat, 97% of people thought the bubonic plague was the end of the world.

Being uninformed and being the majority, doesn't make you correct.

DCI doesn't have an issue with "drum corps" vs. "marching band". DCI has an image issue. Until they learn how to advertise themselves for what they are and actually become known, this problem will pervade. College Football and High School Football are two seperate things, and the population realizes and understands this.

We are not asking too much, if at some point, the general population knows the difference between Drum Corps and Marching Band, as similar as they are, they are different.

• Like 1

IBC

• Like 1

Has anyone considered the very real possibilty that he (and/or his speechwriter) called Cadets a marching band deliberately? So that people in the room would easily understand what he's referring to?

On the CBC issues, consider the possiblity that the Prez ad libbed. The speechwriter might well have gotten it right. But the President, knowing they were behind schedule for instance, might have skipped around the text, rendering our Cadets the Cadets of Bergen County once again. I've seen that happen many times in speeches.

HH

Edited by glory