Random Encounters

I have two encounters:

1. I was on a caribbean cruise with my family several years ago somewhere in the middle of the Gulf of Mexico, and I saw a guy across the pool deck wearing a sign that read, "SPLOOIE." Knowing exactly what it meant, I walked up to the guy and told him that I'd be willing to bet that the majority of people on that ship had no idea what it meant, or even that it had a connection with a drum corps. He got a huge grin on his face, and we reminisced for about 20 minutes about shared acquaintances within the Cavaliers as former members.

2. About a month ago, I was again on vacation with my family driving through the southeast while wearing a Cavaliers shirt. We stopped at a hotel for the night in the middle of Mississippi, and while I was checking in, the front desk guy mentioned my shirt and told me that he had marched with the Boston Crusaders just a few years ago.

• Like 3

Last week, my stepson asked my wife and I if we could help him out getting another car as the one he had was on its last legs. We went to a nearby used car dealership, and one of the salesmen met us outside. Eventually, we moved indoors to continue our discussions...my wife went in first, followed by my stepson, with me bringing up the rear and as I walked in the door, she said "THAT SOUNDS LIKE DRUM CORPS!!!!!" One of the other salesmen at the dealership had FN playing on his laptop and was listening/watching last year's Boston Crusaders. Turns out he marched 27th Lancers in the late 70's. Most surprising of all, is that the wife (goes to shows, but not the world's premier fan) instantly recognized DC!

Last week, my stepson asked my wife and I if we could help him out getting another car as the one he had was on its last legs. We went to a nearby used car dealership, and one of the salesmen met us outside. Eventually, we moved indoors to continue our discussions...my wife went in first, followed by my stepson, with me bringing up the rear and as I walked in the door, she said "THAT SOUNDS LIKE DRUM CORPS!!!!!" One of the other salesmen at the dealership had FN playing on his laptop and was listening/watching last year's Boston Crusaders. Turns out he marched 27th Lancers in the late 70's. Most surprising of all, is that the wife (goes to shows, but not the world's premier fan) instantly recognized DC!

The REAL question is did it help with the sales price?? :tongue:

I've had two encounters with other people who seem to know what drum corps is, but only remember one. About 4 or 5 months ago, I was pumping gas at a local gas station in Alabama. Turned around and saw an elderly man wearing a Cavaliers shirt (the black one everyone seems to own). The other story, I don't recall, but I do remember that it was also a Cavaliers fan.

Last year in San Antonio I was getting my hair cut in preparation for tour. I was explaining to the young woman who was getting rid of my mop why all of my hair had to go and almost immediately she said "Oh! You go to 'insert school here', you must know 'blah', he marches with the Cavaliers!" Turns out the lady cutting my hair actually was the aunt of my Cavalier friend from college! Needless to say we talked about corps for the rest of the cut before I took off and left her a nice little tip.

Another less impressive time was when I was wearing a Blue Knights shirt in high school one day, only to be stopped by a complete stranger in the science building. Turns out he marched cymbals for Revolution but wasn't in band at the time. I ran his name by a few friends but absolutely nobody knew who he was.

Was working in ICU and took one of my patients for a stat interventional radiology procedure. Turns out the IR Doc marched in the same corps as my daughter. Small world. Oh, the patient did well.

I work as a civilian on a military base (in New Mexico) and the Director of the Program I work with is a Brigadier General (BG). My IT Team came into this meeting where we were to brief the BG on the project we were working on. As the brief was ongoing I noticed the General kept staring at me. I talked a bit but could tell he was listening but not really paying attention except to stare at me. Then I figured out that he wasn't staring at me but at my Lanyard around my neck (which was a Santa Clara Vanguard Lanyard). He stopped the meeting and said - "Santa Clara Vanguard" and I told him that, yes, I marched with the Santa Clara Vanguard and now serve on their board of directors. And then he said his sister's kid marched in the Santa Clara Vanguard from 2000 to 2005 and was now a percussion instructor with the Madison Scouts. He said he saw them the last time they were in Albuquerque and was amazed at what they did on the field. Said it was an - "interesting cult!"

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Ahh, the chaos of the first day of a new semester. Walking the hall to my next class, I get finger tapping my shirt and a female voice saying "Santa Clara is my favorite". I was wearing a Bluecoats t-shirt.

Huh? Wha? Wait! :w00t:

Too late, she was already gone into the crowd. I hope this isn't creepy but, I'm gonna have to hunt this girl down. :tongue:

• Like 3