Random Encounters

I was in a very long check in line at boston's logan airport when the guy checking in the luggage came over and told us we did not have to wait in line. He then took our luggage etc. He said anyone wearing a Boston Crusader shirt doesn't have to wait. Turns out he had marched boston back in the 70's.

• Like 1

I was at freshman orientation for my university, wearing the year's show shirt for my corps. An older woman running the table for the uni's alumni organization noticed my shirt and asked who the corps was/if I marches (something along those lines). She mentioned had a son who marched a corps, I can't remember which but it was one that hasn't been around for a while (something to do with knights, I think, maybe Black Knights).

I live in a residence hall off-campus, and walking around the neighborhood, I've seen someone's car who has a sticker for my corps in the window.

My son (PR Euph) was at the Russell Athletic Bowl game with the Rutgers band.

Probably not your son but.......

I met a PR Euph player called Bobby Langan in Port Authority on his way to the ToC in Metlife, he marched in 2011 and was hopefull to march again in 2013.

A charming young man who delighted this old fart by giving him the time of day!!!

Edited by 3rd Glasgow BB

Probably not your son but.......

I met a PR Euph player called Bobby Langan in Port Authority on his way to the ToC in Metlife, he marched in 2011 and was hopefull to march again in 2013.

A charming young man who delighted this old fart by giving him the time of day!!!

No, that's not his son, but you met one of the most intelligent human beings on the planet (literally a genius). He's a great guy who will be marching this year.

One more from me (in addition to my previously submitted, best-ever drum-corps encounter at Hooters).

We're at Disney, my wife and I. Even worse, we're at the Magic Kingdom. It was her idea. I'm there against my will.

My only hope for sanity against the lunacy, against the urge to use profanity constantly and justifiably, is to scan every t-shirt for signs of drum corps. Surely among the millions, even among the lunatics and among parents far too proud there must be a cross section of culture and interest. Surely drum corps fans come too. I'm there, after all. Surely other wives and girlfriends inflict Disney on reluctant others too. That I would be the only one is too bleak a prospect to contemplate.

I'm wearing a Cadets t-shirt. Its maroon and gold has to be visible through the clear poncho made necessary by rain. If I can't see through their ponchos surely I'll see it in their eyes, I'm thinking. Then I saw it. Not eyes. Nor t-shirt nor cap. Something no poncho could disguise. The feet. They were white. Bright white feet under tan legs. I know what I saw.

"You march," I stated more than asked.

"I march Crown. We all do," he said, pointing to half-a-dozen young and good-looking others.

It was a free-day in Orlando for Crown. I'd lost track of the fact that there had been a show in Orlando the night before (as if my wife would have let me go!). I would later run into plenty more white feet. More Crown. Some Cadets. Maybe others.

Among the lunatics, I wasn't alone.

HH

Edited by glory
  • Like 3

In Myrtle Beach for a Ripken tournament as the coach of a 12U team. We played (ok, lost) that morning so we'd gone back to get cleaned up (unbearably hot the whole week) and I didn't think anything of putting on a Crusader's t-shirt to head back to Ripken and get park passes for putt-putt. The girl behind the counter saw the shirt and asked if I marched and said I did but not with the Crusaders. She marched in HS and was a fan of Crown (of course). While it was nice to meet another fan (at a baseball venue no less!), the intolerant eye-roll from my 12 year-old as dad ran into yet another person to talk to made it even more priceless!

My son (PR Euph) was at the Russell Athletic Bowl game with the Rutgers band.

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

The RU band director marched in the same junior corps I did... Sacred Heart Crusaders from Manville, NJ. They were a local-circuit corps (Eastern States circuit) back in the day.

My wife had arm surgery day after Labor Day (ulnar nerve decompression) and was taking therapy at a place a mile or so from the house. Therapist is a young lady and Kris and her talk during some of the exercises. One night I'm waiting for them to finish and I catch:

"What did you do for Labor Day?"

"was with Jims drum corps buddies in Annapolis"

I'm waiting to hear drum what? But instead it's

"That's nice... which corps?"

Turns out her brother was with the Buccs in the 90s....

A few weeks ago I was driving home from school and pull up to a stoplight. I look to my left and in the turn lane is a truck with a Madison Scouts Alumni sticker. Before I even had the chance to roll down my window he had already turned. I am still on the search for that man, lol, which you wouldn't think that would be too hard in a little town like Roswell. Oh well...tongue.gif