Random Encounters

Last September I was in Washington DC. As I was checking in I was wearing my Crossmen Alumni shirt. Man next to me asked when I marched. His son marches Crown. After checking in, we met at the bar and had a great conversation for about 2 hrs.

Just spent a week at Walt Disney World and spent time in all the parks. I was expecting to see at least 1 Corps jacket, T-shirt, or hat but nothing. :sad: I guess everyone's waiting for the Orlando show later this month.

We did run into a nice lady who works for Disney at the parks doing Customer surveys. She noticed my Crown shirt and said she knows a lot of Corps members from Phantom, Madison, Blue Knights, Spirit, and Crown. She was obviously a big fan of Drum Corps.

Later that week we were in our hotel and a young man saw my Spirit hat and asked if I marched. I said "No, but our daughter does." Seems that he tried out for Crown Guard and (I think) was selected but then had some financial setbacks and couldn't march. I hope he tries again next year and can do the tour.

I have to be prudent wearing corps shirts

Its been pointed out to me that they attract strange people that come up and start talking to me, which is not to everyone tastes; some of the company that I keep this was prompted by some guy with his family waiting for me at the exit of a roller coaster in Ohio. Yeah, it was awkward for all his daughter clearly displayed the oh dad, now I want to die look

Im not the sort that would take a t-shirt as an invitation to chat someone up myself either. I have ignored many corps shirts, been ignoring one around work and I think they have something to do with a marching company because of a sticker, decal on their car

it's really is kind of strange

Edited by cowtown

Wifes nephew has been seeing a young lady for a few years now. Knew a lot about her except... her last name. :doh: Finally heard it and asked her if she was related to a local radio personality from years back. She said it was her grandfather and I said OK.

... pause for a few brain cells and old memories to connect...

Then I said "So that means <insert name here> is your aunt?" and her jaw dropped. Turned out her aunt and I marched in corps for a season. Few minutes later she started texting on her phone and .... "Hey Uncle Jim my aunt says she remembers you and says HI!". :w00t:

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

What did you DO, Jim???

:tongue:

Guess I wasn't a big of A-hole as I thought as the young lady is still nice to me. :tongue: Seriously I was so quiet and shy back then I wouldn't be surprised if she has me confused with someone else.

Shades of a HS reunion when I was told "I have NO idea who you are" :rock: by a fellow MB member. She wasn't having a good time and guess I capped the evening off. :cool:

• 1 month later...

Had to hit the local Apple store in a mall to replace my iPhone (battery would not charge, nor could I connect it to my laptop to save data and pictures...had to get it in before the battery died....barely made it).

The washer/dryer sets at our apartment complex were bring replaced, so I grabbed the first shirt in my closet...my black (oy...in THIS heat?) BD alum polo from 2007. Wife and I head to the mall.

While there I run across TWO people sporting corps shirts....1st guy in a Cavies shirt from 2010 "This is my Rifle") and the 2nd a guy in a black BD 2010 show shirt. Didn't get a chance to say much, but we acknowledged each other.

The guy in the BD shirt goes to RCC...and laughed when I said "BD South."

I was at It's a Grind one morning and I noticed that the barista was wearing a "Property of Blue Devils" or something or other shirt, and I asked him if he marched. Turns out he did march Blue Devils a couple years ago, aged-out just in 2010. He was actually really nice (not implying that BD people aren't nice, just saying he was nicer than your average barista! tongue.gif), we struck up a little drum corps conversation and all that jazz. It's always nice seeing drum corps people in public and actually talking to them about it, it makes us fans not feel so arcane in our interests!

Edited by ayesha3

I was at It's a Grind one morning and I noticed that the barista was wearing a "Property of Blue Devils" or something or other shirt, and I asked him if he marched. Turns out he did march Blue Devils a couple years ago, aged-out just in 2010. He was actually really nice (not implying that BD people aren't nice, just saying he was nicer than your average barista! tongue.gif), we struck up a little drum corps conversation and all that jazz. It's always nice seeing drum corps people in public and actually talking to them about it, it makes us fans not feel so arcane in our interests!

And the other customers looking on in confusion!!

• Like 1