Random Encounters

A few years back I was in an airport in North Carolina, waiting to transfer flights. A young man accompanied by his father sat next to me in the sitting area. He had a sweatshirt that had the insignia of the Troopers on it, and an Addidas bag with a Trooper sticker over the label. I naturally asked if he was a Trooper and he politely said "no sir, I'm not. I haven't finished school yet." The father laughed and whispered something in the son's ear. Apparently the young man thought I meant trooper as in the sense of state trooper, and since he couldn't have been more than 16 or 17, there was no confusion on my end. Besides, I knew the insignia. It turned out he was heading for a camp and looking forward to marching his first season in drum corps, though it was obvious he was a bit nervous which was probably why Dad was with him. I told him how I loved the Troopers, saw them live in the 1970's and 80's and that I wanted to see them in the Top 12 again. I’m sure he thought I was a fossil. He got up and his father and I engaged in small talk about the weather, delayed flights, typical airport conversation. As my flight was called, I noticed I was not the only one who had a random drum corps encounter. He was talking with a small group of kids, one wearing a Carolina Crown shirt. My guess is they were headed to Fort Mill, SC. He probably doesn't remember talking to me, but I'm willing to bet he's made a drum corps friendship with those kids that may last a lifetime.

Edited by Tim K

for some reason though, it is only rated 3 stars :doh:

Don't worry I just voted so its at 4 stars now. :tongue:

Wait a sec...

Four stars for the DCP equivalent of singing "Kumbaya" versus the same four stars for my post (see No. 13, page 2 of this thread) about a Hooters waitress using drum corps like cleavage to monopolize my attention?

This site is going soft!

HH

• 2 months later...

Was cashing some checks as a local check cashing place when my phone went off....and I have the end of 84 BD as a ringtone.

Guy a couple of people behind me: "You have a drum corps as your ring tone?"

Turns out he never marched corps, but WAS in the Olympic Band in 84, and has followed the activity for a number of years.

First time anyone's actually recognized my ringer!

Almost sounds like a Penthouse letter LOL!

I’ve shared this before. I’ll do so again because it’s so good.

On my first-ever visit to a Hooters, I barely had taken my chair when the prettiest waitress in the place broke off a chat to speed over to my table. Now, I’m a fair-looking guy. But closing in on 50 at the time, let’s just say it was “unexpected” to see a 21-year-old dream girl jazz-running to get to me. None of the expectations and fantasies that accompanied me in the door prepared me for what came next.

“Do you like drum corps?” she asked.

It’s no knock on my sexuality to admit I was in ecstasy before her eyes blinked twice. Here I was, middle-aged dad me, at Hooters expecting wings and beer and maybe some well-practiced flirtation. What I got was better than I should possibly have expected. I got passion in the form of drum corps through the bright eyes and perfect smile of the prettiest girl I could imagine.

It turns out I was wearing a Carolina Crown shirt that day. It turns out she marched cymbals for Jersey Surf a few years back. She more or less planted herself at my table to the dismay of the other diners – all men. We talked about the shows we liked. We talked about the activity we love. She was enthusiastic and animated. She couldn’t have looked lovelier – and I’m not talking about anatomy. It was one of the best lunches I’ve ever had.

HH

• 4 weeks later...

I became friends with someone I kept running into at Frank Lloyd Wright housewalks and other FLlW-related events. After enjoying a dinner with him, talking about our mutual love of architecture, (he's an architect and I'm a big fan of everything architectural), I found out he marched with the Norwood Park Imperials in the 1950s. Some time later, I ran into him at a housewalk in Wisconsin while with Drum Corps World owner Steve Vickers, who is also a big Wright fan. The two got talking and Steve invited him back to the DCW office to see his collection of corps memorabilia. That man is now designing the edition I hope to put on my house.

We have a lot of sub-contractors at the place that I work, and a few weeks back I seen one of them wearing a Phantom Regiment shirt. So, my curiosity got the best of me so I had to ask. Turns out the guy marched P.R. back in the 90's! So we've been talking "shop" since then whenever we get the chance. We were going to try and go to a show( take the kids, show them what the old man used to do) but he's heading to the Charlotte show and I'm heading to the Durham show the next night!

I was wearing a BAC t-shirt in the Philadelphia airport waiting for a connecting flight this past Thanksgiving break. I had just sat down at my gate when this guy walked up to me and asked me if I had marched the past season (I said yes). He then told me that he had loved the show and that he had marched with the Cavaliers in the mid-80's.

I was headed back from San Antonio when TMEA ended. And we stopped at a Whataburger on the way back to Huntsville... and I believe I was wearing one of my Cavies shirts and a lady working at the cash register asked me if I marched, I said no sadly. She told me how one of her sons marched with the Madison Scouts and she has a son right now marching for Phantom Regiment I believe. We talked about DCI for as long as we could, but it was nice running into a fellow drum corps mom/fan! She plans on going to the SA show this summer, so hopefully i'll run into her at the show.