DQ's

IIRC it was posted either here or in RAMD (by their former DM) that VK's 'surfer girl' was like 25ish.

Not quite the one I was thinking of, but this particular person not only marched overage, he came from another corps that was DQ'd for the same offense and later became a DCI judge and was assigned to either prelims or finals one year and P*^^#% off one west coast corps with his numbers. He is referenced in the "old corps photos" section by a couple of different people who expand on that incident.

When I was a band director in 1992 my guard instructor took 3 girls to try out for a top 12 corps. The girls made the corps and the corp director asked if she was going to march. When she said she was 24, he told her that wasn't an issue - they would take care of it. She did take him on it and the girls could not come up with the money to march, but as late as 92 I suspect there was still overage members in DCI.

Heh... spring of 1976, I met a guy who had marched with a local-circuit junior corps in the NY/NJ/PA area in 1975.

He introduced me to his six-year-old son who was with him. :lol:/>

In 1971, we (Garfield) were a VERY young corps. We used to joke about some of our competitors coming to shows with their wives and children. :tongue:

Just think of how easy it was to lie about your age BITD. Example - I could go north/south/west to march after I aged out - by using my younger brother's birth certificate. I could show up - audition - and probbly make a corps. They would call me by my brother's name etc. All we used were paper birth certificates and many licenses didn't have photos on them.

No one would know until we met up with my former corps - they would certainly know me and would most likely rat on me.

The tough part for me about Bayonne in 1977, was that their cousins up the street in Hawthorne got bagged in 1975. How stupid was that?

this ctually happened in my corps in 1981 & 1982 - a woman who was 24 & 25 during those years used her younger brother's birth certificate because back when her brother was born Pennsylvania didn't have the Sex of the child on the birth certificate and her brother's name was ambiguous enough that noone would think twice about it being a girls name.

The corps management never knew about this, and I only found out by accident in 1991 when I marched with her in a senior corps and discovered how old she really was and would have been back in 1981 & 1982

That was the same story I heard way back when. Not sure if the age rule was discussed in depth back then...it was after that time. That rule bugged me because if a member was 21 through the majority of the summer season then they should have been allowed to finish the season. Who were the directors that made up the rule back then?

We had a snare drummer who had marched with us since 1978. His 22nd birthday was on finals day in 1984. We had just come off a folded season in 1983 and were not going to make finals. We didn't even make semi finals so technically our season ended 2 days before his 22nd birthday, however when DCI was contacted prior to the season he was told that he could not march the season because he turned 22 prior to the end of the season. So he ended up being on the drum staff and working with the snare line he should have been marching in.

Prefer the new rule with the deadline prior to the season

• 1 month later...