Some Answered Questions About Cadets2

From what I've seen in the past, Reading, Cabs, Fusion, Raiders, Jersey Surf, Skyliners, Sunrisers, and Bush. I'm sure I'm leaving out a few.

So if I am reading between the lines correctly it sounds like Cadets 2 is positioning themselves in such a way as to exclude Reading and Cabs from USSBA shows from recruiting. So they can have a positional advantage?

Given the fact that we are all very passionate about this activity- I would venture to say quite a few people might be bent out of shape about this. Whether it affects anything is a different story.

Agree... LOL, it's not like DCA members haven't been PO'ed at each other before. :tongue:

After dang near 50 years, I can still see the DCA "powers that be" doing what's best for the organization, no matter what. Some just might not be going to the same place for dinner after the meetings. :ph34r:

You don't see a problem here? Really?

OK, fair enough. After all, anyone could see from it's 1988 inception as the Cadets Marching Band Cooperative that what we now call USSBA would be used as an exclusive recruiting tool for the Cadets. Any corps could have done the same, and started their own marching band circuit for that purpose....but the Cadets are the only ones that actually did the grueling work of developing a full-scale circuit. Perhaps they deserve the fruits of that 24 years of labor.

Of course, like the original circuit name implies....there needs to be some "cooperation" between all parties for things to succeed. Shutting other corps out of the booth area of USSBA shows is not "cooperative"....and if it continues, the corps being shut out might not be very cooperative towards USSBA in the future.

Like you say, there are other band circuits in the area. That's an interesting suggestion....and it works both ways. Wonder how many DCA corps staffers work with USSBA bands? Wonder how many of those bands might become ex-USSBA bands if this continues?

What problem? Couldn't all parties be just bands? After all USSBA IS a separate entity of YEA.

If you read the original post I responded to, you will see that she complained about USSBA. USSBA is NOT the be all and end all. She made it sound like it was. I noticed those who recruit at TOB and Cavalcade seems to do well. If She was only recruiting from USSBA, she is missing a lot of kids to talk to.

The point being that there are quite a few bands that compete in USSBA, TOB, and Cavalcade. USSBA may be excluding DCA corps from recruiting, TOB and Cavalcade do not. There are quite a few USSBA bands that compete in all three. If YEA doesn,t want DCA to recruit at their shows, so be it. Thats their policy. Live with it.

I know a few USSBA bands who have staff from DCA corps. Quite a few also have local DCI corps staffs.

Doesnt mean the kids want to march in their corps. Just because there is a drum corps doesnt mean the kids want to join. Thats in ALL corps circuits, not just DCA. I also know several people who tried to start a corps and just because the local school had a great band, most could care less if there was a corps in town. Just the way it is.

All I'm saying is if you are recruiting, have a plan. If the plan is to recruit from a band circuit that doesn't allow you to do so, then adjust the plan. Don't blame YEA.

From what I've seen in the past, Reading, Cabs, Fusion, Raiders, Jersey Surf, Skyliners, Sunrisers, and Bush. I'm sure I'm leaving out a few.

Now that a whole bunch of CT bands jumped from Musical Arts Conference to USSBA, I would gather this also effects the CT Hurricanes.

The point being that there are quite a few bands that compete in USSBA, TOB, and Cavalcade. USSBA may be excluding DCA corps from recruiting, TOB and Cavalcade do not. There are quite a few USSBA bands that compete in all three. If YEA doesn,t want DCA to recruit at their shows, so be it. Thats their policy. Live with it.

Cadets2 is a DCA corps. Do they have to live with the same policy?

By the way, that is not typical USSBA policy if they've been allowing DCA corps to recruit at their shows every year, until this year....now that they have their own DCA entry. Furthermore, that is not typical USSBA policy if they've been allowing other DCI competitors, even world-class units (i.e. Jersey Surf), to recruit at USSBA events.

Jersey Surf is a partner with TOB. The corps recruits at TOB events, including the Atlantic Coast Championships this past weekend and next weekend. As of this year, now sponsor the award for Best Brass in each of the four classes at ACCs. Surf also provides invaluable assistance and equipment for the TOB All Star Band at the Philly Thanksgiving Day Parade ever year.

They had a very visible presence yesterday in Hershey, PA.

Now that a whole bunch of CT bands jumped from Musical Arts Conference to USSBA, I would gather this also effects the CT Hurricanes.

its going to affect them( Hurricanes ) in more than that way...stay tuned....this one was predicted months and months ago :devil:

Edited by GUARDLING

There are times when a recruiting corps would like to sell merchandise but are not allowed if cadets merchandise is being sold. Know this through experience at many shows throughout the years.

What?

When I go to a drum corps show hosted by YEA!, I don't see them turning away the other corps' souvie operations. Can anyone explain why that sort of lockout suddenly becomes a good idea if it's a USSBA band show?

What?

When I go to a drum corps show hosted by YEA!, I don't see them turning away the other corps' souvie operations. Can anyone explain why that sort of lockout suddenly becomes a good idea if it's a USSBA band show?

Well, it's not exactly the same thing now, is it? By rule, any show sponsor must allow a competing corps to sell souvies. Even there was no rule, what corps is going to attend a show where they aren't allowed to do so? Answer: None. Result: No corps, no show.

YEA is perfectly within their rights, dumb as they may be, to deny anyone they want the opportunity to recruit or sell stuff at their shows. Besides, there are plenty of ToB and Cavalcade shows running concurrently that would be happy to have drum corps involvement. So, your mileage may vary.

Well, it's not exactly the same thing now, is it? By rule, any show sponsor must allow a competing corps to sell souvies. Even there was no rule, what corps is going to attend a show where they aren't allowed to do so? Answer: None. Result: No corps, no show.

YEA is perfectly within their rights, dumb as they may be, to deny anyone they want the opportunity to recruit or sell stuff at their shows. Besides, there are plenty of ToB and Cavalcade shows running concurrently that would be happy to have drum corps involvement. So, your mileage may vary.

Exactly my point. Need to separate the two entities.

AND there are quite a few USSBA bands that compete in TOB and Cavalcade. So you have a chance to see the kids anyway. Whats the difference if its USSBA, TOB, Cavalcade (I only use these three because they compete near me) or any other circuit.

No need to get so testy about USSBA. Their ball. Their game. Their rules.

Like them or not.

• Like 1